Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 88 Comments sorted by
  • “Exhibit for the defence item 1 M’Lud”

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I couldn’t help it, I went digging. It all seems to really kick off in April 2018 & I STILL really have no idea what was driving all these snarky comments. If you go forward & back a page or two I stick with my opinion that someone was trying to provoke a fight & achieved it. I really wish I hadn’t bothered but there it is. The Flaming Horror Bloody Norah thread is where it mostly took place. 
  • Are we even sure that she was a real individual?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I wondered that; if she was an alter ego. Something didn’t stack.
  • You may be right.  That has close to the flavor that I remember.

As far as what went haywire on this forum, I trace it back to this new board.  So many things went wrong after that.  Everything 'seemed' copacetic before that.

I do wonder about "I was feeling lonely, feeling blue...feeling like I needed you".  Considering the title was selected by someone that seldom has a word to say, it just feels kinda snarky.  Like anyone that spends time on this board has a problem and that the author is above it all.  Sometimes I wonder if it is a suggestion that this board should be used exclusively for Goldfrapp discussions.  Is there a feeling (by many?) that the sanctity of this board has been transgressed?  

Whatever.  I really don't know why I linger here.  Maybe the cateogry should be "if I want to feel lonely or blue, all I need to do is visit this board"
  • I think what is interesting is if you look at the Categories panel at the top left of the home page, of 983 different threads, 364 are non Goldfrapp related. That’s nothing new. It’s been that way since I started visiting the board. Goldfrapp are not immensely prolific as a band, often 4 years between releases, so fans that come here want other things to talk about and remember, it is us who dream up all these different threads, not GF.
    It’s not just this new board because, if I remember correctly, when I joined, you had just had the issue over ‘Mirror’ (we would now call it Mirrorgate of course) & I also remember Alan & a lot of anger and Teddy’s getting thrown out of prams.
    Some people come here for company; to escape mental pressure of everyday life & everybody is different. We need to appreciate that we all come from different walks of life & have different red lines & peccadillos.
    Interestingly, a lot of the old members who seldom come here anymore I still interface with on Twitter & Instagram.
    I don’t come here to insult or judge people (contrary to pop belief of some). I come here for interesting discourse & views of some very interesting and unique characters.
    And Goldfrapp when there is some !
  • 984 threads & only about 20 of them get regularly posted in !
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Interesting discourse.  Really.
  • By the way, you realize that "virtually every conflict in history has been seated in religion" is so far from the truth as to be appalling, right?  Religions were used to recruit those that were predisposed to believing in delusions and willing to go to war about them.  It is seldom the basis for war.  It's just the excuse used by those that are more savvy (think Trump) and willing to use the lives of others for their own purposes.  Otherwise known as sociopaths.  Note that almost every large corporation in the world is ruled by sociopaths.  It's the nature of the beast.  Humans would do things differently.
  • Another bug.  You mentioned somewhere how Serenity trashed Goldfrapp.  Maybe you're right, she does seem to have a very vengeful spirit.  But, all I saw was her trashing the participants on this board.  She has a point.
  • It's just the excuse used by those that are more savvy (think Trump) and willing to use the lives of others for their own purposes.  Otherwise known as sociopaths.  Note that almost every large corporation in the world is ruled by sociopaths.  It's the nature of the beast.  Humans would do things differently.

By the way, note that these sociopaths, no matter what they verbally profess about their beliefs, are hard core atheists.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-12-11 11:17:57
  • It's just the excuse used by those that are more savvy (think Trump) and willing to use the lives of others for their own purposes.  Otherwise known as sociopaths.  Note that almost every large corporation in the world is ruled by sociopaths.  It's the nature of the beast.  Humans would do things differently.

By the way, note that these sociopaths, no matter what they verbally profess about their beliefs, are hard core atheists.

Who exactly are you referring to WW? Can you point me to any info that supports your claim of 'hard core atheists'?  Because I've obviously looked in the wrong places - of the CEOs of the world's largest companies, we have Doug McMillon (Walmart), who says he's a 'born-again Christian', Shoychiro Toyoda (Toyota), who espouses and supports Shinto, Tim Cook (Apple), who says he's a believer in God, Jeff Bezos (Amazon), whose religious beliefs are, afaik, completely opaque, and a handful of others eg fossil fuel company CEOs, whose religious/atheistic beliefs I cant find any info on at all. Bill Gates - who seems to feature as a central figure in lots of conspiracy theories - is a Catholic. Ta.

• I think you understood when I said, "no matter what they verbally profess about their beliefs".  That was kind of key to the statement.

There are all kinds of people that profess their religious beliefs whereas their actions belie their words.  Most people, not just managers (I really can't call any of them- government or religious - leaders), profess what they find convenient with no shred of sincerity or contemplation.  Religion is no more than a bludgeon used to justify whatever nonsense they wish.  Maybe the best one is that humanity is naturally evil (original sin and all of that bullshit).  That definitely lets the hounds loose.  This goes close to the root of what is wrong with humanity.  We are so trapped in our own nonsense that we can't see past it.  The managers (ceo's and such) are just genius at aligning their nonsense to suit their animalistic ('sinning' nature) needs.

That's my problem with any conspiracy theory.  None of them account for humanity's stupour.  That's my conspiracy theory, in fact.  Our unending stupour invents all of our troubles.  By the way, in case you can't extrapolate to the crucial point: it is self-inflicted.  The stupour is not necessary.  I mean, I've come up with some really great conspiracy theories.  It's just too easy to manipulate a species that is primed to believe in nonsense.  All you need is spectacle, a few key words like "shocking truth", and outrage in order to have them drooling at your doorstep.  Make it sound like a good crime tv series and you have them hoof and mouth.  But, request that they think?  Not a chance.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2020-12-12 06:38:27
  • Ha!  Shinto.  Did you know that if you visit a place of worship for the Shinto gods that you have to bring as much change as possible to throw into a can in order to wake up the gods?  They are not paying any fucking attention to you unless you ring their bell with money.  There's something similar regarding throwing all of your spare wealth to them on New Year's Eve.  I don't recall the specifics about that one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!