Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • @folklore

Mirror appreciates your honesty, but how bad is it that a band forces you to lower your standards and expectations?
    That they have been so disappointing, that the only thing you can do is not expect the absolute best?

Mirror honestly believes that is not how things should be: always demand the very best, it is the biggest compliment one can give a band.
  • You have a jaded view of "frappers", to insinuate that this place is a hive mind after years of discussion of the band is fucking insulting and am not sure why you would try to converse with such slavish self obsessed fans :)
  • @folklore

Mirror's views on "Frappers" is only based on the collection of specimen now.
    Indeed, there used to be lots of discussion, but all those voices have left (Stephanie, Corvina, Jaxsbudgie, Peppermintpig, Edenstar, Shamie, Maddoctor, Staddsy - who went from biggest fan to biggest critic)
  • I respect Alison and Will as musicians, I may not like some of their work but that's the way it is, I have no control over it, I know about obsessive behaviour and to demand perfection over something that you don't own as it is being created is pointless.

If fans influenced artists so much how on earth would they get work done, not any one fan has the right "viewpoint" and to try and please everyone with what you create is the way to bloody breakdown!
  • When they released Felt Mountain they were accused of copying Portishead, Massive Attack and some other names that were since forgotten.
    I never thought they were escaping any categorization. They just made an album that touched me. Seeing them live confirmed that for me. I cried. I did.
    And I was expecting them to make Felt Mountain part 2, 3, 4 etc... after that.
    But they didn't
    They decided to be confused. Just do what they bloody well pleased.
    Maybe sometimes missing the mark. I hated Supernature when it first came out.
    I loved it after hearing those tracks performed live.
    I really almost gave up on them. Then Seventh Tree came and it just blew my mind.
    I listen to loads and loads of music. CD's, live shows, DVD's. The lot.
    I've written reviews and done a couple of interviews with some really interesting musicians.
    Still, if anyone asks what's my favorite band, the answer is Goldfrapp.
    The most wonderful headless chickens I've ever known.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • (removed)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-06-28 04:43:32
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • folklore said:

If fans influenced artists so much how on earth would they get work done, not any one fan has the right "viewpoint" and to try and please everyone with what you create is the way to bloody breakdown!

That is exactly what the Mirror is saying though; there used to be lots of different voices on here, and lots of dissent amongst the members, but that was healthy.

Now, one voice of dissent, is branded as being a troll?

Mirror doesn't want the singer and the musician to conform to their tastes, or to any tastes for that matter.
    But they should live up to the promise they showed back in 2001.
    So far Mirror is yet to be surprised.
  • Mirror said:

@Minsku

Nothing wrong with being happy - even Mirror smiles from time to time.

But it does get a bit weird: mindlessly adding smilies to everything, wetting ones underpants over something that is two seconds long, the dreadful "OMG" as Sartori said..

And as for group hugs...well, bad enough in real life, but virtual ones!?

Mirror just adds some perspective to the happy-happy atmosphere on here: not everyone is jumping up and down just because Goldfrapp have made a new album.
    Scepticism is not too misplaced.

Are you Tanita Tikaram?
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • OK. So Goldfrapp was a band you liked in 2001.
    That's 13 years ago...

That's a bit like me still trying to convince Marillion fans they're not critical enough like they used to be when Fish left...

A bit sad, really...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • @Mirror I was really starting to enjoy this thread. I was interested in trying to understand you & the points you were trying to make. I found some of the areas it was going to be something well worth sticking with. I agree with you that the place would be even better with that list of people you mentioned - of course it would be.

Now what do we get? "collection of specimen", "narcissistic, self-obsessed", "gullible airhead"?

Come on, Mirror - you're better than going for cheap shots, derogatory comments and sly denigration. I onderstand you have issues with the band and the forum but lets not go down that route, eh?

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Commercial Break - .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-27 19:02:32
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • wtf happened to my post?
    Post edited by folklore at 2013-06-27 18:39:34
  • @Mirror why are u being treated like a troll ? You seem to have missed my point I made several times, it's not what you said, it's How you said it -impact over intent. Well...that and the personal attack on Alison. .

You miss the point that on a discussion forum, kicking off with "Al you **** , Head First ~ I haven't heard so much shit since I last saw Two Girls One Cup" isn't going to give you Prime Ministers Question Time.
    Healthy discussion is ok but within the confines of "objectivity" and without repeating yourself/trolling , if you come to a forum just to be contrary, it just becomes tedious.

I'll ignore the constant condescension .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I'm drawn to this thread as if it were a fatal road accident.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • folklore said:

wtf happened to my post?

Every traffic wreck has its casualties.
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!