Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • I know Maya Angelou used to talk about how words carry energy with them. Words can cut like knives or soothe the soul and everything in-between. I read the article, and what a loss of a beautiful girl who got pushed over the edge. Healthcare's main concern should be bringing people back from the edge..it's not like we haven't all been there before.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:00:31
  • My comment was simply meant to convey when dealing with Mental Health issues, compassion should be a #1 priority for health care professionals.
    U R I E L
  •   
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-02-15 16:55:27
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:01:11
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:01:24
  • I was just ranting my disdain for western medicine and thought better, Drew.
  • Drew said:

And people believe what is written in The Mirror .... ? There is always more to a story , in fact to any story ... and tabloids are not renowned for their objective unbiased views .... same as some people can be very judgemental and narrow minded ... where as some people are not and are more open minded and can respect others perspectives even if they do not agree with them ...

This is not what NHS care for mental health "is" ......it is so much more... it is a complex and very difficult , demanding and unpredictable field of work to be in . Lots of hard work takes place every day of the week and many success stories of people's recovery happen day in and day out .... year after year

It is very sad to hear of this loss and I am sure lessons will need to be learned as care reviews can highlight ways services can be improved. Sometimes the impulsivity and pain of people cannot be "saved" by anyone no matter what is done or what support is given by loved ones and/or services .... it is tragic but not everyone can be brought back from the edge no matter how many "hands reach out" .... the reality of working in mental health services can be very emotive and so hard when it goes wrong even when no one is to "blame"

As with many things in life people are very quick to create a blame culture .... which makes it all sad in all it's entirety

With all respect, service users need to be listened to a lot more. I know as you are a working professional it's a difficult job but it is your job, the person who told a young woman she was a waste of space is entirely to blame. Instead of looking inward to how these stories effect the professionals there needs to be openness outwards to how service users are being treated within the system. 
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:08:00
  • I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't rush to judgement on the basis of a press report. But @folklore doesn't post without thought.

And in this case, the Mirror's story about Hannah Groves' suicide appears to be quite fair.

For some reason, the HCPC adjudication does not appear on their website (as these things usually do), but I had a search for other sources, which end up confirming the Mirror's claim that the HCPC *did* find that Hannah was described at a handover as a fucking waste of space and an attention seeker. The Social Worker complained about was not disciplined, however, because he denied that he had said the words, and there was insufficient evidence to identify who else it might have been.

Beyond that, the story seems to be a straightforward factual report.

In fact, it could have been a lot more damning. Antelope House, where Hannah was seen, has been subject to several critical evaluations, both before and since her death. A year after she died, an inspection found significant concerns about care, welfare and record keeping standards. An unannounced follow-up inspection by the CQC in 2014 found that things, far from improving, had actually deteriorated.

The following year, after a young man with severe learning difficulties called Connor Sparowhawk died under Southern Health's care, a report commissioned by NHS England into all deaths in mental health and learning disability services run by SH concluded that many of SH's internal investigations were of poor quality and took too long to complete. Even worse:
    • There was a lack of leadership, focus and sufficient time spent in the Trust on carefully reporting and investigating deaths
    • There was a lack of family involvement in investigations after a death
    • Opportunities for the Trust to learn and improve were missed.
    • The number of investigations into unexpected deaths appeared far too low

Which is a long winded way of saying what folklore said.

Post edited by whispered at 2017-02-16 14:01:09
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:12:43
  • This feels a raw subject for me making me feel shaky. I'm sad there is a disconnect between the workers and users of mh services and hope a sturdier bridge is built. Looking at it clinically isn't in my remit.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:13:34
  • This is a little love letter to those who are depressed. I found it on-line. These are words I also needed to heed.

1) Grab a pencil and paper, go to a bedroom, close the door, and be all by yourself—Lie down in the middle of the bed on your back and close you eyes.

2) This step is the most important. Your mind needs to focus on one question and one question only right now: “What is it that is making me feel so angry?” It may be one thing, or it may be several different things. As you pinpoint and name each thing that is making you angry, you will become more consciously aware of your repressed anger. Let the repressed unconscious anger turn into conscious anger and just say “I am really angry right now because…” Then sit with the anger for a few minutes, roll it over in your mind, look at its facets as if it were a cut gem stone. You do not have to throw a book, slap your wife, or any other such inappropriate thing. Just become aware of your anger items and sit with them for a few minutes. It will not kill you. Then write them down on your piece of paper.

3) The most basic definition of clinical depression is anger turned inward on the self. Anger is a messenger emotion. It is telling you that one or more specific and important things in your life need to be ATTENDED TO. If you know what is making you angry and can name it, you likely have the power to attend to what is specifically causing the anger. As you consciously recognize the anger, you can name what you are angry about, and then attend to it. The depression should start subsiding to a major degree when you identify the anger, name it, and attend to it.

You might also ask yourself this other question: “What was it in my early childhood that made me the most angry—so angry I could hardly see straight? Then ask: “What is happening in my life right now that is so very much like what made me so angry back in my childhood days?” One of the most basic principles of clinical psychology is this: “If the depression or any other emotion feels this powerful and this intense during the present, then it is most likely not about something that is happening or that just happened in the present. Instead, it is about something very old and unresolved from childhood—most likely frozen in the mind of a child and looking as insurmountable as Mount Everest—because small children encounter simple things that would almost never bother an adult and blow them out of proportion to reality by small child fear. The child within you just needs to learn that—although you may be in great personal fear—-the adult you is old, experienced in life, and quite capable of handling it.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-17 10:26:30
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!