Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • Surface issue all.

What do you mean? I'm saying mental health can be affected by either a physically toxic environment or a psychologically toxic one. In either case, the person has been exposed. Both causes are in essence invisible, but the effects of which can clearly be seen. How is any of that surface?
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • This thread will self destruct in T minus 3 posts...

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Have you ever heard the phrase "root cause"?  It is what mankind never bothers seeking at all.
  • Have you ever heard the phrase "root cause"?  It is what mankind never bothers seeking at all.

Let's get deeper then. Tell me your theory. Why must mankind constantly feel the need to control and exercise power over others and the environment. This constant discharging of negative energy- tell me.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
    Post edited by iuventus at 2017-02-18 20:41:04
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Ponygurl said: Whickwithy said:Let's get deeper then. Tell me your theory. Why must mankind constantly feel the need to control and exercise power over others and the environment. This constant discharging of negative energy- tell me.

That is my point exactly.  All of humanity is making the assumption that mankind is
    inherently fucked up.  That's a bad place to start an argument.  Humanity has lost the argument before it has even begun.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-02-19 06:38:45
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:29:45
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:29:59
  • God, I hate  this board's software.  I take it back.  9th circle.

"change starts with one person at a time. "  Who says?  Root cause.

"our thoughts and our emotions  do not have to dictate to us . "  Wanna bet?  There's wiggle room but you can be assured that thoughts and emotions are going to have an effect in some form.  More exactly, the environment in which we exist can hammer a person into the ground ... or make him rise up to heaven.  The easy comeback is change your environment.  The answer to that is the environment, in the largest sense, is the universe.  So, unless you want to take a bullet to the brain, you're not really going to change the environment.  Root cause.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 24.0px Arial}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 24.0px Arial}

Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:44:42
  • Drew said:

I am not saying thoughts and emotions would have no effect .... I said they do not have to dictate , which they don't if you don't want them to ....So yes I do "bet" we can not have them dictate ... 

The danger of framing it in a voluntaristic way is that it can sound like one is blaming the individual for "not wanting it enough" , for colluding in her/his illness, or for not complying with the exercises that are prescribed to challenge so-called "unhelpful thoughts".

To take one example, I'd argue that the thoughts and emotions - and the way they are embodied - that result from profound childhood trauma plus chronic neglect are rarely things that can be eliminated by sheer force of will or CBT.

Many people with attachment disorders, or borderline personality, for example, do not welcome their extreme feelings, and hate how they affect their lives. But I'd agree with WW that profound changes in the environment and the experiences that surround people is more helpful than thought-substitution.
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-02-19 12:35:17
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:37:00
  • Drew - I guess I am more interested in your own thoughts about mental health? Is there anything in the current orthodoxy that you disagree with, or feel is problematic?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] at 2017-02-19 17:43:32

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!