Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • Yeah..I got the word wrong, doh!
  • Ha!  And, I guessed the wrong band!!  Doh!!
  • I did have an advantage - that lyric is written up on my fridge.

Also "Into my mouth - I can't keep it shut" and "I need la- la- la- lasagne"

x
  • Hahaha!  Busy fridge!
  • I had the privilege today to pay an educational visit to the Royal Bethlem Hospital in London to look at some of their mental health facilities. Bethlem is the oldest psychiatric facility in the world, originally dating from 1249 ( not on this site though. That was in Bishopsgate. This is its 4th site). This facility is the source of the word 'Bedlam'.
    It has a new Museum of the Mind with some great exhibits. This is a painting by a previous inmate who was trying to visualise their psychosis.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • This is a 'Strong Dress'. Basically, a dress that was worn by female patients who would rent their clothes and then use the shreds to self harm. A modern version of this is still used in certain circumstances.

• This is a straight jacket for young women. It looked very delicate to be honest, almost like a bodice rather than the thick jackets you would normally associate.
  • I loved this little cat picture with a cat examining the bumps on another grumpy looking cats head.
    A nice little touch is the Phrenology head on the table in the shape of a cats head. This was part of a whole series of cat inspired pictures by another patient.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-10-02 16:55:03
  • I should put this on my list of things to see when I visit the UK.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I had the chance, a good few years ago, to visit an old establishment that was once an institution for the "mentally insane", a very old Gothic creepy hospital which was itself the stuff of nightmares. On the top floor, secreted away, was a room kept as a " museum", though obviously it wasn't open to the public. It had some monstrous things in there- drawers full of lobotomy slides, hideous iron bed with straps and manacles..most disturbing of all though was this old oak barrel. Story went that some poor unfortunate boy spent x number of years " living" in this barrel ( ie he wasn't allowed out of it).. I don't recall how many, but can't imagine he could have lived very long. He was considered too dangerous to society to be let out of it. This was the Victorian era.
    My grandmother used to work in one such place ( a lunatic hospital) around the war years, I hope to God people were more enlightened by that time. It's thought provoking for me, cos now I work with some pretty challenging and troubled youngsters myself- thank God we now have the knowledge and compassion to treat people more humanely ( I'm sure there will be comments to follow!).
    The hospital I visited became a Moslem school for girls at least 15 years ago...I have no idea what it's present role is or if it's been demolished, but what a horrendous place.
  • If you remember Kat, I posted some photos last Halloween from the Asylem Hospital I worked at from 1991 until 1997 when it closed. We still own it but has been largely derelict since then although it is about to be bought by a consortium of development companies to build around 1,000 homes on the site.
    It was, and remains a very spooky place. Not Victorian, but Edwardian, built over 10 years from 1913. Big long corridors that connected all the buildings on the site. One thing it did have though compared to what we have now with smaller, community based units, was a sense of community and family. It had a huge dance hall at the centre that could hold dances for over 500 people and it had badminton courts and it showed films; none of which our patients benefit from now.
    Here is a picture of where two of those huge corridors; some over 250 metres long, came together.

• Some wise words.
    A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"
    Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
    She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."
    She continued, "The stresses and worries in your life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about nothing but them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."
    Remember to put your glass down.
  • Something that may interest some of you, if you desire an alternative to drugs and conditioning...

Don't get too excited, it's about getting the soul naked, so to speak.
  • ^ If this lady is getting paid to talk about 'vaginal yoga', I'm definitely doing something wrong in my life-
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I'm about 98% certain that I found a direct correlation between milk and depression for myself.  I had a meltdown just lately that was beyond anything I had ever experienced and its pretty certainly due to drinking a lot of milk.  I know, sounds crazy.  Y'all must be used to it by now.  Funny thing is that when I used to drink about a gallon of milk a day for decades, I wouldn't have classified it as depression but, in retrospect, I think it probably fits a clinical definition to a tee.  And, after reducing dairy intake to a tiny amount it took me probably a decade to recover from the ravages completely.

Anyways, I'm curious if anyone else that has depression drinks a lot of milk?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!