Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • I caught a rare glimpse of a water nymph recently. Most often seen in John William Waterhouse paintings, the water nymph is a very shy creature. I approached it with great caution, as to not frighten it. If you startle one, it may turn into a huge bitch and bite you..protective gear such as gloves are a must. God forbid if you should disturb one working on it's notebook computer as seen in this photograph below- approach with caution.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Those used to get caught on our trotlines when I was working the Chesapeake as a young waterman. A delicacy, indeed, with Old Bay Seasoning.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • God, it looks so warm there at the moment. Grey, dank and miserable here. January is such a shit month following Christmas.
    The nymph looks well proportioned and built for comfort, which is nice. I like the Art Deco window feature on the house!
    I am partial to Alma Tadema myself and many of the pre Raphelites.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Sometimes the nymph lets me brush her hair and lightly stroke her back and kiss the back of her neck..it's the only way to tame one from my experience.
    The house is actually an art gallery with little stucco houses built around it- it's an artists colony. It's really lovely here, yes. About mid 70's F. We don't really have a change of season here..all the green just turns a bit brown.
    I love the Pre-Raphaelites too-the period is so sumptuous and romantic...all jewel toned, velvety and angel-lipped.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-21 17:18:29
    U R I E L
  • How weird, that's just reminded me of what I dreamt last night. I was shopping for Tiffany lampshades. Nice ones with dragonflies on. Cute.
  • Ah yes, Louis Comfort Tiffany... I think it was his wife's idea to make the lampshades. What wonderful artistry back then, I think the designers today need to get a clue.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-24 13:38:52
    U R I E L
  • I'm going to get serious on Nature Notes now..do you mind? It's concerning GMO's. Animal testing from around the world shows birth defects from second generation animals fed gmo corn and soy and complete sterilization by the third generation. I'm hearing news of a new virus called the Zika virus, sounds oddly like GMO effects in animal testing. After all, corn is apparently classified as an insecticide. The Nazi's treated Jews as "pests" and in a similar fashion. Why were Nazi war criminals allowed to form corporations off the backs of the Jewish population they stole from and murdered? Why did the American government allow them in to work in our country? All of this shit has been going on since the 40's. I'm getting off the point..why, why, why???

This is not the newest study, but very informative-
    http://gmojudycarman.org/new-study-shows-that-animals-are-seriously-harmed-by-gm-feed/

Oh and the idea this new virus is "mosquito" borne will perhaps allow in fact, more pesticide use and application of bugspray- an insecticide.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-27 00:39:24
    U R I E L
  • I'm sure you are right about Zika virus becoming a rationale for wrecking another part of Gaia, PG. I feel really conflicted about this, as in my time, I have worked hard to reduce deaths and illness in developing countries, as well as in the UK. For instance, I was part of a programme in Nicaragua to reduce malaria through helping villagers to get rid of pools of standing water.

The trouble is that we are now in the situation where in some places, our ecosystems are only continuing to function because there are areas where humans dare not settle in large numbers, or throughout the year, because of endemic malaria or dengue or biharzia etc. In other words, these diseases are effectively protecting wild areas which would otherwise be trashed by human settlement and population expansion. So I kind of don't want any further disease prevention. Which seems fundamentally WRONG, no?

• I'm just saying if these chemical corporations want to sterilize the world- they should just take a blazing hot sword and cut off their own balls. Wouldn't that be better than colony collapse of bees and butterfly populations and suffering of animal and human life around the world? Simple really. What they're doing is like white man giving a blanket to the Native American- but to all of Nature. They are corrupting and distorting all of nature with gene splicing. I shall dream of a blazing hot sword and their balls tonight...sweet dreams are made of these B-)

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-24 21:12:37
    U R I E L
  • Ponygurl said:

I'm just saying if these chemical corporations want to sterilize the world- they should just take a blazing hot sword and cut off their own balls. Wouldn't that be better than colony collapse of bees and butterfly populations and suffering of animal and human life around the world? Simple really. What they're doing is like white man giving a blanket to the Native American- but to all of Nature. They are corrupting and distorting all of nature with gene splicing. I shall dream of a blazing hot sword and their balls tonight...sweet dreams are made of these B-)

Wow! I remember first seeing this on a program called The Tube PG with Paula Yates and a very young Jools Holland.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-01-25 14:15:32
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Awesome documentary about gmo's- an hour and twenty mins......if you don't know, WATCH

U R I E L
  • My first thought when the Zika story broke was " oh, that'll be man made too then". Once a cynic, always a cynic...
    Veering off from the subject just for a moment, here in the East of England, 5 sperm whales have washed up on local beaches. Lots of theories being put about as to why they died- hunting squid too far into shallow water; sonar disturbance caused by either the Navy or the off shore wind turbines in the area etc..it's been interesting to contrast though the 2 differing actions of locals. One daubed " man's fault" , R.I.P and a pro-CND sign on the whale's body. Another was seen yesterday hacking teeth out of the poor animal as trophies or ( presumably) to sell on eBay, or spin a yarn about down the pub. Which sums everything up I think. Half the world is sensitive, the other half is scum.
  • Well, personally I'm out to save the world..count me as sensitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm profoundly disillusioned with some of mankind..but I'm not to the hopeless point. Sensitivity must triumph over scum. Knowledge is power though- that's why I posted that documentary. Some of these corps. are ultra-evil and straight up lie and kill. That documentary needs to go viral in Central and South America somehow!
    U R I E L
  • The Sperm Whale story is heartbreaking - although I can't imagine daubing a whale corpse with graffiti, no matter how righteous the slogan. Wouldn't it feel too sacriligeous, somehow? 

Meanwhile, I'm trying to organise some direct action against the building of a MacDonald's that's just been given planning permission on the outskirts of town - right on the boundary of the National Park! Now, that's where a few aerosols might come in handy!
  • Latest on the whales on the local news...the poor creatures have been towed off the public beaches, covered in sand and will apparently be taken to landfill sites. Which doesn't make much sense to me...could they not have been towed back out to sea and given a fitting send off there? Maybe it's because the water is too shallow too far out..but I don't see how a whale can be taken to landfill on the back of a lorry without causing more difficulties?!
    Am I guilty of female logic..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!