Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • Ah. Why resist !
    I hear the Polyorchids and the Uterus didelphys will be particularly nice this year Kat, particularly when planted in bunches.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh dear..I walked into that one with you lot didn't !? I haven't a clue what a Uterus Didelphys is ( despite having been on another sex education course today, that's 2 in 2 weeks!). I daren't ask to be enlightened with a picture.
    But while we re at it, there s a van that drives around these parts ( that's these parts, not MY parts).. With the slogan on it "Do Some Good With Your Wood". A perfectly innocent tree surgeon or something I'm sure but why does it always make me think of you UT?....
  • These days Kat, getting wood generally means a trip to a timber merchant. As I get older however, my taste in women seems to get younger. Don't tell Mrs UT !
  • Uterus Didelphys would mean you would need double the tampons on your other thread by the way and Polyorchidia is just a lot of nuts !
  • Oh my God [-(
  • You called ?
  • These days Kat, getting wood generally means a trip to a timber merchant. As I get older however, my taste in women seems to get younger. Don't tell Mrs UT !

Apparently UT suffers from a case of Nabokovitis. The only cure is to have your skull painted by your wife. The cure is permanent I hear.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-03-09 15:56:32
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • No, not Lolita's PG, just lithe younger woman. As a boy, I fantasised over older women but as I have got older, it has moved the other way.
    I found a web page with 14 Nabakovian words you should get into your everyday speech. Some words he invented himself. One favourite was Callypygean; having perfectly formed buttocks, and Logomancy; the magic that comes from the power of words. Also Arabesque; an intricate patten that simulates foliage.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/dianabruk/14-beautiful-nabokovian-words-you-should-incorporate-into-yo#.ys117eqQY
  • Watch it UT. I might just secrete a note to Lisa in the pressie I'm sending you. U.S. Women have got to stick together ( you toad).
  • What happened to the Nature Notes thread? Was this it? We were in Wiltshire over Easter. Having a beer in the garden of a pub at Avoncliff and a kingfisher came and sat on a branch a couple of metres away from us for quite a few seconds. It was absolutely amazing ( and reputedly good luck?). I also saw our local family of 3 woodpeckers flying over the garden yesterday.
  • Ps Sent you an IM UT.

• KatRobin said:

What happened to the Nature Notes thread? Was this it? We were in Wiltshire over Easter. Having a beer in the garden of a pub at Avoncliff and a kingfisher came and sat on a branch a couple of metres away from us for quite a few seconds. It was absolutely amazing ( and reputedly good luck?). I also saw our local family of 3 woodpeckers flying over the garden yesterday.

Yes, this is it, KatRobin. I saw that I had missed a trick and retitled it in a terribly witty Frapp way.

Great birds, Kingfishers - seeing one is good luck in itself.

I've just started reading De Waal's "Primates and Philosophers", which is making a convincing case for how human morality evolved from primate emotions and behaviour, without having to resort to any anti-Darwinian nonsense about human exceptionalism. It's brilliant!
  • Sounds good. Have you ( or anyone else?) read any Richard Dawkins? Speaking as nature loving atheists/ agnostics? I haven't..yet. Just wondered.
  • Also, I think I mentioned a few weeks back about having seen a family of peacocks ( one of which is white) at a local village? I now read in a local village mag that these peacocks are "feral", which I suppose can only mean that there is no one outright owner of them. I m worried that the story was printed dos sadly you never know what vermin might find it funny to go steal / hunt them. I'll head out that way later today and see if I can take photos.
  •  
    KatRobin said:

Sounds good. Have you ( or anyone else?) read any Richard Dawkins? Speaking as nature loving atheists/ agnostics? I haven't..yet. Just wondered.

Yes, quite a bit. He's very clear on many aspects of evolution, especially what is really meant by 'the survival of the fittest', and he is also ruthless in exposing the irrationality of religious thought. 

One serious fault is that he seems to have a blindspot for emotion - he can't seem to grasp that religion's appeal is not to the rational part of people's minds (mostly), but to their emotional self. Similarly, he consistently presents human morality as something that has developed as a special exception to other animals - he sees animals as essentially machines, rather than (as Darwin did) realising that you can see the roots of our emotional and moral behaviour in other animals. There are some more technical arguments against Dawkins' take on evolutionary theory, but this might not be the best place to elaborate!

Stephen Jay Gould has written some very similar popular science on evolutionary theory (such as 'Bully for Brontosaurus') which is more humane. Although he has weaknessses too!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!