Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 769 Comments sorted by
  • Yes, I think it's dosing cattle with diclofenac thats been killing the poor things - so I'm sticking to paracetamol and codeine only.

• I was wondering when this would happen - at lunchtime, I looked out of the window to see a female Sparrowhawk crouched beneath the birdtable, amidst a swirl of grey Wood Pigeon feathers. She flew off into the hedge a minute later with the corpse in her talons. 
  • How nice for you. Did you have any twinges of guilt then? ( and before anyone gives me the food chain lecture, don't!) . I just can't watch ANY nature documentaries these days. I can't bear it.
  • Why would whisperit have twinges of guilt KR?
    This is not senseless killing as practiced by humans across the world, this is nature doing exactly what it has for millions of years! Sparrow hawks are flesh eating animals and without the occasional death of a pigeon or small mammal, there would be no SparrowHawks. There would be no lions in the wild without there being dead Gazelles or Zebras. It reminds me of when Howard Jones, a renowned Vegan, decided to feed his dog a vegan diet. He can do what he likes, being a sentient human, but a dog needs protein in its diet, as does the Lion and the SparrowHawks.
    Nature can be unpleasant but it is always nature. It is not done for sport ( except, arguably, the Fox).
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • You are right, UT.  And  - like KatRobin implies - ecosystem diversity is massively enhanced by flourishing populations of top predators. I expect you know about how the reintroduction of wolves in Yellowstone increased biodiversity - the hunting-out and then recovery of Sea Otters in California also showed the same beautiful pattern. So perhaps I'm not so strange in always rooting for the predator in those nature docs. And my Sparrowhawk was the most beautiful creature.
  • Lol....I knew that'd rile someone! I do understand biodiversity etc! I'm just a pathetic wimp who wouldn't be able to watch the pigeon suffer. I'd more easily deal with the thought of the hungry sparrow hawk and its chicks. Just my fluffy, hypocritical, illogical female mind. ( oops there's another issue!!!!)
  • I didn't mean to lecture, Kat! I don't think it's a female thing - did you see the doc about the female Orca researcher in New Zealand last night? And I had a right old barney with a bloke a while ago because I made a wildlife report of a couple of crows attacking and killing a Buzzard. He went ballistic and said I should have stopped them - but of course, he had no coherent argument, just bluster and emotion. (Not that there is anything wrong with emotion). Anyway, my guiding principle is that Nature knows best. The more we try and interfere, the more likely we are to screw things up.
  • I recently watched this documentary about penguins. They showed the babies being raised by the parents- then the babies being left alone on the shore so they could learn how to swim. Well the first shot was of some big ass fucking seal eating a baby penguin! Needless to say, I turned the channel...like I need to watch that bullshit. Some male animals kill babies just to bring the female back into estrus..seriously? No wonder the females have to be fierce to protect their young. Nature can be harsh and personally it disturbs me too Kat. Should all animals turn vegetarian and homosexual? Probably.

I do have sweet little ruby-throated hummingbirds around my house and discovered an interesting safety tactic they use. Since they are sooo tiny, they are sometimes preyed upon by medium sized birds. This hummingbird has used the predatory chain as a defense. It builds its nest within a cone shaped radius of the hawk or other large predatory bird. The larger predatory birds have interest in the medium-sized prey and don't bother with hummingbirds. So when possible intruders come upon the ruby-throat, a hawk will swoop down and intercept. It's built-in protection, Nature using Nature to survive.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-13 23:31:53
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Hummingbirds by your back door? Wow Ponygurl...when you going to invite me over for a holiday?!!
    I guess the equivalent in my garden would be the little wren family in the hedge ( I jammed a little brown China teapot in there a few months back in the hope they, or the robins, might adopt it as a home, but so far they've selected elsewhere!).
    I would be amused and enlightened if someone with nature science credentials could offer us their take on your vegetarian / homosexual theory!
  • Yeah, it sucks that us UK people have nothing to compare with hummingbirds (I guess that the nectar-eater niche is filled by butterflies and moths here).

On the other point, I think that Nature isn't there for our amusement, edification or education, and pays no attention to our moral sensibilities. It just is. Surely, the idea that H sapiens somehow knows better how things should be arranged is a symptom of disconnection, placing ourselves apart from and above Nature?

But some animals do have a moral sense of their own - two fabulous recent books on this are Cheney and Seyfarth's "Baboon Metaphysics" and Whitehead's "Cultural Lives of Whales and Dolphins"
  •  I have been thinking about the "all animals should be homosexual" idea. One interesting thought is that most eukaryotes (basically all organisms other than bacteria) have the ability to reproduce asexually (by budding, self fertilisation etc) and often go many generations without bothering to mate with another sex. On the other hand, almost NO animals do without sexual reproduction entirely. in fact, although asexual reproduction only has evolved many times , all these lines seem to go extinct quite quickly. The only known eukaryotes to have remained exclusively asexually over long periods of evolutionary time are the bdelloid rotifers. These are beautiful, tiny aquatic creatures that live off algae and stuff.

There's no complete explanation for this, but it seems to be mainly about the necessity to throw up novel combinations of genes in order to adapt to changing environments. Bdelloids seem to get away with it by having evolved an extraordinary ability to incorporate DNA from completely different creatures, including bacteria, into their own DNA. This gives them the ability to create wild combinations of genes from time to time to keep things fresh. They are also able to withstand extreme dessication for long periods and have a claim to being the most radiation resistant of all organisms.

Post edited by whisperit at 2016-01-15 05:41:09
  • Well the vegetarian/homosexual construct would solve alot of problems, haha. I'm talking Homo Sapiens now. When I say "problems", of course I'm referring to suffering and death. Let's go deeper. ( I'm already gonna tell you, I'm 3 glasses of wine in now- I cannot be held accountable for what I say when morning comes)

1) Nature and Territory- why does the male animal feel it necessary to kill other members of it's Species for territory?! Nothing can be built upon! From an Evolutionary stand point, it's a black-out! Always starting over- do you realize what the Human Race could have learned if the Libraries of Alexandria weren't burned down?! Civilization could be so advanced by now- but noooo,...war-restart, war-restart...sad really. It's competition between males..but for what? Survival? No..an individual can survive just fine on their own. A mate? Well this sounds more likely, that's where my homosexual "jest" of an answer came in. "Fuck" instead of "fight" basically. I know, I know...it did little to curb male aggression in Ancient Greece...could be those Neanderthal genes dammit.

2) Food Chain- just sayin'...the biggest, most muscle-bound animals are herbivores. I know, I've tried vege..did it for a couple of years- gone back and forth..it's tough. It just cuts down on suffering/killing of animals. Now GMO's have fucked up our whole food supply, not only sterilizing the seed (making farmers dependent on the government to produce these poisonous sterile seeds) but sterilizing the animals who eat them too...yeah, that includes "us". So, yeah, an organic fruit/vege diet sounds peaceful..the way Nature intended for primates. I'm not against hunting per say...it is natural instinct for predators- I just want animals to live real natural lives- not some fucked up factory farm life that Neanderthals have created for them-

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Aaaahhh, PG - you are right. If we could only arrange ourselves in accord with our most rational, humane and compassionate thoughts, we would be like gods. But we're just yet another species that popped up, thought it was the bees knees for a few million years and threw the wildest party. Now we are waking up, bleary-eyed, and thinking, "Huuh...oh no. Who's responsible for this mess?"

But it's too late. The place is trashed and the police are already bashing the door in.

Me, I'm skipping out the kitchen window and heading for my mate's Europa's place
  • Way too hopeless/helpless for me.  I've already suggested what is wrong but....

This guy took much more effort to explain to those who wish to really understand.  Good luck with that.

Really, really well done but, like I said, good luck with getting through the noise.
  • A hard frost this morning brings a new bird to the garden - Yellowhammers, a male and a female

http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2010/images/yelha06TH300w.jpg

Yikes! Just as I am typing, a Woodpigeon flies into the window. Seems OK though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!