Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 110 Comments sorted by
  • Not exactly in line with the original intent, but fun and matches the post title, anyways.

Agathist, a person who believes all things tend toward ultimate good.

flibbertigibbet, a chattering or flighty, light-headed person.

arachibutyrophobia, a fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.

Bombilate, to buzz or hum constantly.

Floccinaucinihilipilification, the estimation of something as valueless.

Ultracrepidarian,
    noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside the area of his or her expertise.

Enough for today...

• I've always had a liking for the word 'Interstices' ( In-terse- stis- ease)
    A space, especially a small or narrow one, between things or parts.
    You can pack an interstices ! <:-P
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-17 16:21:18
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • In some cases, those parts being ears.
  • Someone used the phrase "this isn't my first rodeo" on me last night. Actually, it was a man trying to seduce me. I was telling him how forward he was being when he said it. It just strikes me as funny- like he was admitting to being a whore or something. I take it to mean "experienced"- but I wonder about its origin.

Edit- Just read it's a quote from the movie 'Mommy Dearest'- which just seems scarey and gay at the same time.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • forficate - deeply forked, as in the tale of a bird
  • Just to get off-subject for a moment, one of the worst things about this site is the search engine.  It absolutely sucks and the one on the old site was really brilliant.  I mention this because it impedes conversations.  Trying to find a thread or a post to add or respond, is damn near impossible.  I just tried looking up "words & phrases".  That should be pretty simple, right?  The first thing to pop up should be the thread.  At least, that's the way it seems to me.  It doesn't show up at all!!!

Well, as long as I'm being annoyed, I just hit bold/italicise a second time and then hit enter twice.  No, that doesn't work, either.

Okay, back on subject...
  • Copacetic: completely satisfactory.

Even though it only means, basically, "okay", it is one of my favorite words.  To be able to say, it's all copacetic is just nice.

• Abduction
    is a form of logical inference that goes from observation to a
    hypothesis that accounts for the reliable data (observation) and
    seeks to explain relevant evidence. Good abductive reasoning will be
    expecting to throw away the hypothesis upon the advent of new data.

• I read something last night where someone was described as a "Baraka"....I believe it said something like, "she was a baraka, the fire and the rose".... So I had to look it up-

Baraka- noun:

a blessing that is regarded in various Eastern religions as an indwelling spiritual force and divine gift inhering in saints, charismatic leaders, and natural objects.
    U R I E L
  • Baraka Bama then?
  • I like the word 'empiric'
    I can get away here at work by declaring a change was to be 'tested empirically'. Whereas if I stated that I wanted to just make a change, then see if it worked, or broke something else, approval would not be given
    :)
  • I'm still hung up on BARAKA, and discovered the Film by Ron Fricke. Just EPIC, a meditation on life. This film is the predecessor to SAMSARA, another visual stunner of meditation. He built his own camera to film it and what it captures is both beautiful and heartbreaking. It made me cry. I'm posting the whole film for those who are interested-

Ron Fricke's BARAKA

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-10-15 16:21:14
    U R I E L
  • Haven't got time to look now, must fly, but I'll definitely be looking at this later PG.
  • Walloping
    A sound thrashing or defeat.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-04-25 15:03:23
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-04-25 15:03:44

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!