Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 110 Comments sorted by
  • Bombastic: high-sounding but with little meaning; inflated.
  • Firenze: A native or resident of Florence, Italy.
  • A thread on regional dialects in the English Language would be most amusing. I recall having to write a comparative essay on Standard English and black country dialect (for anyone who is unaware- The black country is an area in the West Midlands that is particularly notorious for its strange use of words. It includes the industrial working class areas of Dudley, Crawley Heath, Wolverhampton etc to name a few)

Who can recognise these words:

Yam yam
    Wench
    Ar kid
    Any road up
    Round the Wrekin
    Ay Cor
    At by Bargy

Who is a Baggies fan here?
  • Ponygirl- I too have come across the expression 'this isn't my first rodeo"

Using inference this does sound like "this isnt my first ride?" The sexual conquest is likened to a horse. It actually sounds animalistic.

I have always found the words 'hussy' and 'cougar' utterly bizarre.
  • imageCheck this out.
  • I'm originally from Cambridgeshire but lived in Clacton most of my life before escaping to the country to live the rural idyll. Due to its proximity to London (The Smoke) and my rubbing shoulders as a child with many a Jack the Lad Lun dun ah, adult and child, my accent is a strange mix.
    Without looking these up, I would think Yam Yam is to chat, Wench is woman, Ar kid is younger brother, Any road up is 'Anyway' the rest not sure except the last one looks similar to Argy Bargy, meaning fuss and bother.

Regional dialects are odd and problematical. A young nurse I once knew told me she was returning home for the weekend to see her parents. I said 'what, going home to get your bottle filled' which where I come from meant getting love and succour ( as in a babies bottle) . Unfortunately, where she came from, it had a totally different meaning where the bottle in question was a reference to her, well, Who-hah!
    A difficult moment ensued!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • People that live in the Black Country are very proud of the way they speak. They have their own dialect and vocabulary as opposed to just being a different accent. One of the most famous features is the. 'yam yam' sound when saying certain phrases. 'You are' is pronounced yo'am and 'are you' is pronounced 'am ya'.

I know that in London with the cockney accent there's a lot of rhyming slang phrases such ad 'apples and pairs' and 'me old mukka'.

But I'm at a loss with the old getting yer bottle filled.

And good Lord above, some people still say boccle. NO IT IS NOT A WORD!!!! ARGH!!!! I will seriously bash the next person who says it over the head with the Oxford English dictionary!!

• Urban Tribesman: Have a butcher's at these phrases and what they mean?

That Mrs Evans over the road is brown bread.

Do you want to cop a flower pot?

ARGH! I am so scotch misted!

Apparently these is how lun dunners talk.
  • Nah, real lunduners use phrases like strewth, luv a duck leave it Aht, Eees a geezer an wot u looking aht?
    A young London mush out with his bird will cop a feel when indulging in foreplay. If it goes all the way and he don't pull,out in time and shoots his filthy concrete inside, the stupid cow may get up the duff and have a sprog.
    Wicked!
  • Oh, and sorry to break it to you, but Mrs Evans from opposite is deceased. Shame. I liked her.
  • Now you're talking, Serenity!

Words that either don't exist or don't need to (and now exist because so many people have used them for so long):

Orientate (it's orient)
    Preventative (it's preventive)

Last time I looked the for didn't exist and the latter did, depending on what dictionary you choose.
  • Dictionaries are almost all descriptive, rather than prescriptive, these days. Hence, you will find within words like 'irregardless.' Often they will indicate 'incorrect/nonstandard form of ________.'
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Nah, real lunduners use phrases like strewth, luv a duck leave it Aht, Eees a geezer an wot u looking aht?
    A young London mush out with his bird will cop a feel when indulging in foreplay. If it goes all the way and he don't pull,out in time and shoots his filthy concrete inside, the stupid cow may get up the duff and have a sprog.
    Wicked!

You couldn't sound any more unromantic if you tried!! I feel a bit of vomit in my mouth now.
  • At least it's not in someone else's mouth! :-&

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!