Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
It's BACK! The highly unofficial,annual Goldfrapp"All things Halloween,pumpkin & costume pic thread"
  • 87 Comments sorted by
  • Teddy loves his pumpkin.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Ponygurl said:

Does anyone know how to post photos from an ipad directly on here? Do we still have to host them on photobucket, Flickr, etc?! I'm sure there's a better way that I don't know.

Hi PG. I use an IPad most of the time on here but have yet to find a way to post photos from my storage space at Flickr. The problem is on Flickr, the transfer process involves a right click and Apple never thought about right clicks it seems. To,post my own photos I have to use a laptop. It's the same for posting images here you find on other websites.
    M. As for posting videos from YouTube, looking at your post, are you trying to use a mobile or tablet? That code looks very short and the type used by a mobile or IPad and I have yet to find a way to get a vid to embed on the board using an IPad. HJ gave me some advice some months ago if you are using a PC, laptop or AppleMac. I will try to post your another Elvira video to demonstrate.
    Go to YouTube and find the video you want and get it on the screen running. Right click and then from the choices click 'copy video url'
    Come out of YouTube and onto the board and the page you want to post it on ( say this one as an example.
    Right click and hit paste and you will get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O0AjJt88_Hk

It will not imbed on the board but will work if you click the link.  But, if I paste this again, but delete the part of the text that says 'feature=player_detailpage&'

we should get Elvira doing Sweet Transvestite from the Rocky Horror Show.
    Great big Pumpkins !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-24 18:18:33
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Another Jack O' Lantern - vocals by the irrepressible Jenny Haan.

http://youtu.be/LmQ4G5z6FT0
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-24 19:12:47
  • A suggestion of something to sit in and watch on Halloween.

Remember.  It's all about the antici..........

• pation !

Or you could just go old school with a bit of M J and Thriller !
    With the voice of horror, Vincent Price doing a rap and that bit at 9.13 where all the dancers jump up at exactly the same time with clear space under them all - great choreograhy.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-26 14:55:51
  • Teddy and his pumpkin.....!!!! Those noises are surely not for real?!!!  
    Thats made my day.....
    (~~)
  • Those are truly Teddy's own chirps and giggles. I wonder, though, whether or not they're actually possessive warnings.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Awwww....I haven't been this excited since Saturday when we bought a new sofa and became the proud mummies of our very own cuddly Neal The Sloth!! (He ll arrive sometime in January). I guess if you're in the US Iuv you haven't got a clue what Im on about - Google Sofaworks ad UK. I'll have to keep Neal well away from my horny pooches!
  • On the first page I posted some pictures of a site I had visited and mentioned an old, derelict mental asylum we look after called Severalls in Colchester.  It is 165 acres and was the county asylum in the days when asylum still had its old meaning of 'place of safety'.  It was originally opened in 1913 but has been closed since 1997.  It has stood empty since then, slowly decaying and an adventure playground for the urban warriors, the vandals and the local wildlife while it awaits a new destiny in the hands of a developer ( if anyone has £40 million, its yours !)
    The first photo is the main entrance door; a wonderful bandshell stone entrance and canopy.  This is a listed part of the site and will be have to be retained and repaired by any purchaser.
    The second photo is a close up of the fanlight above the door and is testement to an earlier, more niave age.  The building was designated the 2nd Essex County Asylum, and they decided to cut that down to fit a shortened version of the name over the fanlight as a copper screen, using the 3 Seaxes from the Essex County logo as the E.  The plan was it would say S Ex as a shortened version of Essex, but, of course, we all now read this as 'SEX' !

• Here is a picture in the underground ducts. Much larger and more extensive than the other site I posted a picture of.  Severalls has a large inner eschelon core building with outlying villas scattered over the 165 acres. It was all heated by steam, generated from 7 massive steam boilers in a huge central boiler house.  These ducts criss cross the site linking all the buildings together and under all the corridors.  There are about 7 miles of these ducts in total.  Don't be fooled by the light in this photo.  WIthout the lights on, it was pitch black down here. Creepy !

• This one is rather poigniant. In a ward such as this, in my time on the site, there could have been as many as 30 beds on a ward.  When it was first set up as a hospital, this would have been as many as 80.

• Finally, for Halloween, a picture of the mortuary.  I asked someone with me to lay on the slide but they refused.
    Chicken !
    Follow this link to an album on my Flickr page to see more photos.  The longest corridor in Severalls is nearly 300 metres end to end and they link together in a great grid pattern.
    Search for Severalls Mental Hospital on Google.  The Urban Warriors have many sites with photos and videos of the buildings.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/arborial-arts/sets/72157649009371542/

• Finally finished my first pumpkin last night...Does this work?? 

Should finish my second this evening, it's not going to be quite as impressive but the image is definitely scarier. 

Post edited by VisualFallacy at 2014-10-29 05:41:49
  • ^ Woah! That's fantastic. I mean, really, REALLY good. If u don't mind, tell us a little about how you go about it. What tools you use, a technique, whatever. I need to learn to make better faces, the devils in the details! :D
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-10-30 02:46:25
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Here are a couple of others: 
    (my personal favourite) http://instagram.com/p/uwStxFBy6F
    (a quick and easy one to use up the last pumpkin) http://instagram.com/p/uwTjiJBy7Z

Usually I make my own stencils using photoshop... just find a photo/image of something I want to carve but this year I didn't really have time for that so I just used someone elses. Then greyscale the image until there are only 3 colours (black, grey and white) and make sure there are no 'floaters'.  

Once I've got an image I turn to the pumpkin, hollow him out and sketch the image onto the pumpkin.  Once that's done I use a linolium cutter to do all the shading, then I thin down the pumpkin wall if I need to (if the light isn't really coming through the shaded sections).  Then I cut out the bits that need to be cut out using a tiny little saw.  Usually I'd just use those cheap packs of tools that you get at the supermarket (like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q867XA?ie=UTF8&tag=davisdesign09-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000Q867XA) but they bend a lot when you use them for anything that takes longer than five minutes, so I actually invested in this: http://shop.zombiepumpkins.com/product/pro-pumpkin-carving-tool athough only used one blade for all three pumpkins.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!