Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
It's BACK! The highly unofficial,annual Goldfrapp"All things Halloween,pumpkin & costume pic thread"
  • I've got four lovelies to carve up this year. Who's up for some Halloween fun? Jack-o'-lantern cutting, ridiculous outfits, scary stories,
    creepy artwork??

Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-10-17 15:14:32
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • 87 Comments sorted by
  • Ooooh! I do like Halloween, costumes and all that!
    Actually, we rather celebrate "Día de Muertos" ("Day of the Dead"). I do love both holidays, but not mixing them. Unfortunately, people is tending to do so and confusing all meanings. Anyway... I've never celebrated a proper Halloween. I should buy a pumpkin and try to carve it, hehe. And I'll make a pie too, that's for sure!
  • We have an Americanized version of el Día de los Muertos. The Processions of Little Angels (2014 Nov 8) precedes the All Souls Procession (2014 Nov 9), which incorporates pagan elements. There are some really groovy regular performance artists, like the circus/fire theatre Flam Chen http://flamchen.com/ and taiko drummers Odaiko Sonora http://www.tucsontaiko.org/ .The costumes are fabulosos!

http://allsoulsprocession.org/

Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-17 19:30:45
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ^ That's cool. Hadn't heard of that before, sounds like a lot of fun.

I have though, been in Mexico for Dia De Los Muertos and it is glorious! I really enjoyed that whole time of year there, all the flowers, sugar skulls, the decorations and traditions are all really interesting. I should go again soon.

What the pumpkins have to look forward to...( old but still amusing)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-1aui-wluE

Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-10-18 04:26:33
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • That's a really cool project, iuventus! I love that kind of costumes too.

I'd read about that creepy clown pictures. IMO, I find it very interesting, but I know it can really freak other people out, which is no good. And worse, some people could use it as a pretext to commit a crime. Hope it just stays as an "arty" seasonal thing.

Oh, and this was last year's Dia de los Muertos altar I made. Sadly, it was just impossible to get sugar skulls and the proper flowers ("Cempasúchil"), so I made them out of paper, hehe.

• Are cempasúchiles the same as typical garden marigolds? This is actually very important to me at the moment.

Some of our paraprofessionals at work used to make tissue paper flowers of all sizes and colors at this time of year. The classrooms were quite festive.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-10-18 16:38:58
  • Oh, lovely!

• ^Those pictures are gorgeous Iuv! Very much what I remember of Day of the Dead festivities in Mexico. It was all over the city and even the smaller villages, some more colorful than others. I forget the city names, we actually had a meal with a Mexican family at one of their relatives graves. It was very memorable, and interesting. I think it's a wonderful celebration.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-10-19 19:58:53
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • These are our team for this years Halloween celebration ( we are doing a Carry on Screaming sketch as a dinner party).
    The terracotta Jack we have had for a few years and he pops out for a couple of weeks every October.  The little ghosty guy is new for this year.  He looked cute in the shop !
    The two pumpkins are due a carve up any day.  The little one Mrs T has a plan to be a table decoration, looking slightly unwell and spewing up Guacamole onto some black tortilla chips.  Yuk !
    Will post photos when done and yes, that is a real skull in the back ground. He's in preperation !

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • A couple of other photos to suit the time of year.  First one is the top of a colleague's computer at work.  He does origami but also does a range of dried tangerines done to look like shrunken heads. It's not just me !

This is a photo I took a couple of weeks ago when I was surveying the ducts under a psychiatric hospital.  That tunnel goes off for several hundred yards into the darkness, with branches left and right and is about 4 foot tall and hotter than hell with all those pipes.
    As hard as I tried, I could not find Michael Myers, but I knew he was not far away !!

• ^ Lush! I Could live there.
  • It is dry and (very) warm. Neighbours are a bit noisy. The odd rat, hunted by the odd cat. God only knows how they get in.
    We had another site; a 165 acre mental hospital in Colchester called Severalls. We still have it but 90% of it has been closed and derelict since 1997. It has extensive ducts all the way under the buildings, linking them together with steam heating pipes like the bowls of a great ship. Steam pipes bang and clang and sigh and occasionally vent steam and being in them was like some Stygian version of Hell. The were so extensive, they had lots of rats and cats that would get in as they snaked around the grounds. The Fire Brigade would practice rescue situations in the ducts as well. They would go in early morning and secrete a couple of dummies in the ducts and then send some poor buggers in later on to find them and rescue them !
    I took some photos on a recent visit there. Will see if I can post a couple. It opened in 1913 and it's history is embedded into the fabric of the building. It is now a very creepy place, especially at night.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-21 17:01:58
  • Holy moley! I'd hate to be one of those poor Fireman sent out to hunt for dummies in the middle of the night. It sounds like the start of a horror story just waiting to happen. Great pictures UT and the desicated oranges are hilarious!
    I finished carving 3 of my four pumpkins today, I'll try posting some pictures tomorrow, I'm on my cell phone right now and it's a downright frustrating process.

Oh yes and before I forget to mention it. Steve/SoftLad posted a link to a BBC4 presentation called 'Horror Europa' with Mat Gatiss that was really quite good! They highlight a lot of classic horror films and even a few that I haven't yet seen.
    If you're a horror film aficionado it's a hulluva fun ride.
    Here's a link for viewing for the next two or so days:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nmsw7

Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-10-21 22:06:01
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!