Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 114 Comments sorted by
  • Weren't the Englishmen in Zulu depicted as foppish gentlemen who drank tea and expensive liquor in tents while everyone else stained the African sands with their blood and guts?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Have you never seen it Iuv? The majority of the film is set in the missionary that the British Army was using as a field hospital and supply depot at Rorke's Drift in Natal. The story follows on in the aftermath of another battle between the British Army and the Zulu warriors at Isandhlwana where a poorly led British Army column of around 1,800 men was unexpectedly overwhelmed and defeated by a force of 20,000 Zulu warriors even though the Zulu's were massively disadvantaged in weapons technology. (As depicted by a later film 'Zulu Dawn' which is a prequel to Zulu). Natal was a British Colony and the Zulu's were instructed by their leaders not to pursue survivors over the border but a renegade force of 4,000 defied this and descended on the troops at Rorke's Drift. Many of the British troops were wounded and were being treated in the hospital when the attack happened. The senior officers are shown as elitist and classist but the point of the film is that these men were better led than the troops at Isandhlwana and by cooperating together, and keeping organised and adhering to well considered tactics, they prevailed, despite being outnumbered around 40 to 1.
    There is footage of the officers drinking from small hip flasks they are carrying, but it is shown in the context of steadying nerves and under extreme stress rather than officers living it up while the lower ranks fight and die. The officers are shown in the thick of the fighting with their men and the film is a reasonably accurate depiction of events and the films Wiki page has a comparison between the film and actual known facts.
    I think Isandhlwana remains the British Armies worst defeat against a technically inferior force, but the defence at Rorke's Drift led to the award of 11 Victoria Crosses for gallantry and bravery; split between lower rank soldiers and officers.
    It is a cracking film. One of my favourites which I remember seeing as a child in the cinema. Worth watching if only for the rendition of 'Men of Harlech' that the soldiers sing to bolster spirits as they wait for the Zulu attack.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • To be honest, the film is older then I am. Maybe I was thinking of a Monty Python skit, or something.
  • i have no political investment in either side.....
    but if this happens...the 80's are dead forever.... 

:(
  • The 80s died when Liz stopped wearing makeup. Would Scots like her be shunned? Deported? Wicker-manned? And poor Jimmy Somerville! He worked so hard to overcome discrimination...to be thrown right back into the thick of it...
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-09-12 21:13:14
  • who is liz? 
    just sayin' 
  • Don't try to act like you don't still cry every time you hear Orange Appled.

On the bright side, with Scotland's independence, Gregory's Girl could become a call-to-arms for reclaiming a national identity, and Clare Grogan would most certainly become a national heroine.
  • At least we'll get rid of Lulu shouting at us!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • iuventus said:

To be honest, the film is older then I am. Maybe I was thinking of a Monty Python skit, or something.

Maybe 'Carry on up the Khyber'?  This had a scene where all the officers sit around having a dinner party while the forces of the Khasi of Khalabar under the leadership of 'Bungdit Din' , fearsome warlord of the Burpa tribe attack the fort defended by the 3rd Foot & Mouth Regiment ( The Devils in Skirts) and they carry on regardless of all the death and destruction around them.  Or you may have seen a scene from Zulu Dawn which is the prequel about the battle of Isandhlwana where the garrison was defeated because they were so poorly led by the officers.  Have not seen that film to be honest but that may have featured there.
    Try this, probably the bit you remember is at 3 min 20 secs.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-13 07:32:05
  • By the way, I've found one good thing out about Alex Salmond.  Apparantly, he is a Trekkie, so can't all be bad.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-13 07:33:12
  • I think we should keep the Union but can we please give Alex Salmond independence?
  • We'll give refuge to Alex Salmond if you take back Jeremy Kyle and Trisha Goddard.
  • This is an interesting article. Some points that Mr Salmond needs to answer before Scotland votes, but will probably decide not to and claim these issues are just scaremongering.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11092522/This-is-no-dream-Scotland-is-sleepwalking-into-a-nightmare.html
  • And this one. When an Irishman comes to the conclusion that the Scottish people are being manipulated into making a decision based on fear and hatred instead of one based on facts using their brains, it really does make you wonder how a race famously depicted for being fastidiously astute in economic matters, are they being led lemming like to the cliff face.
    As the Sun once famously said on its front page during an election campaign, if Scotland votes Yes next Thursday, would the last one out please switch off the lights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11094375/Head-and-heart-tell-me-the-UK-must-not-split.html
  • iuventus said:

Don't try to act like you don't still cry every time you hear Orange Appled.

On the bright side, with Scotland's independence, Gregory's Girl could become a call-to-arms for reclaiming a national identity, and Clare Grogan would most certainly become a national heroine.

LOL 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!