Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 114 Comments sorted by
  • "Never let facts stand in the way of a good whine"

I'm not a fan of nationalism or rabid nationalists , people with empty lives imo.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • If I was Scottish I would vote "yes". Just saying  ;))
  • If I was Scottish I would vote "yes". Just saying  ;))

I'm on my way round with the rack !
    Good luck to them to be honest. It is their choice and if they think they are better off out of the Union then that is that.  However, if they break, they break; they don't get to cherry pick the good bits and once out, the're out for good.
    The interesting thing is what is 'Scottish'? As I said at the start of this thread, I have cousins that have a Scottish Mother and English Father, and there are more of those than you can shake a stick at.  Also, there are more Scots living outside Scotland than live in it, but they have no say, yet foriegn nationals do just because they are residing there at the time of the vote. I also think Salmond is a repugnent slug who will say whatever he wants people to believe to get what he wants.  The PM, Dep PM and Leader of the Opp were on a hiding to nothing today.  They went to show support for the No vote and are depicted as being weak and desperate.  If they had not gone, this would have been respun as them being complacent and not interested.
    All be over soon.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-10 18:51:02
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I abhor Salmon , a man with a "face you want to punch" . His pig ignorance and denial about the realities of monetary union would do my head in (if I cared) , if he had any knowledge of international fiscalities he'd know that the Bank of England aren't going to underwrite a newly formed Scottish Central banks use of Twenty squillion pounds for *Special Brew and *fried Mars Bars per year .

*copyright Sartori's Book of Lazy Geographical Stereotyping (updated 2014)
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I have heard nobody....not a single person...having a conversation about it . I don't know whether it's apathy, indifference, complacency, ignorance...what? Meanwhile, ( being the paranoid conspiracy theorists that we are!) Catherine and I were debating whether the potential economic meltdown in the Scottish banks means we should shut our RBS bank accounts! I think it's bloody serious!! Watched Channel 4 news last night and the debate amongst young Scots was very interesting. Nobody referred back to history though UT, the Yes group all just seem to be obsessed with the impending cuts from Westminster ( hello! Aren't we all facing those...?!) and that they'd be financially stronger alone. Where do they get this information?!!!
    I'm worried anyway. Worried for all of us, esp worried for the No voters if they lose. They'll be an exodus of half of Scotland South!
    Just my views anyway...
  • Agree with Sartori that Salmond is particularly pig ignorant when it comes to the realities of economics and money and finance. I'm stunned that his nonsense on stilts has gone down so well with the Scots who pride themselves on being canny with money. Too much wishful thinking on his side of the argument.

IMO that doesn't mean he won't or can't win - he's been very good at getting his own way so far since he entered politics, especially if he's been seeing off people he calculated might pose a political threat.

Polls are all over the place, but I'm told that the analyst to follow is John Curtice. (sp?) Probably wrong to try to bet on this but wot the hell.
  • Interesting statement this week by the Governor of the Bank of England (a Canadian!) Scotland cannot be a Sovereign Country without monetary independence.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • My piss taking point i made (above) is real , if we were tied via currency to Scotland and when/if they borrowed vast sums of money - any problems they had in repaying it would devalue the pound and affect the rest of the UK (for the interest rate of our borrowing - eg Greece) . As a pundit recently noted , the biggest part of being independent - 'fiscally independent' , they no longer want .
    Kat Robin is right , I had a 1 minute conversation about with an Uncle visiting from Scotland "we'll be using sheckles or beer can ring pulls" and that's it - to paraphrase you , in reality , no one gives a fuck .
    The reality of Scotlands position is that it also needs a massive influx of immigrants to avoid the taxpayer / pensioner ratio going badly out . Without influx 2 workers paying for each pensioner , no need for massive calculations about what taxes they'll be paying . How can Scotland get these immigrants to come and stay ? And without them saying "fuck this fucking wwather for a laugh , I'm off to Torbay" ; ie if he wants to keep them , he'll need to build a border . Salmond you oaf .
  • Well, I have hope....I was teaching a group of 5 teenage lads this afternoon about the role of Government and how Parliament operates. My opening q to them was, could they tell me what big national issue is in the news at the moment? And a lad explained to me all about the Scottish referendum, with no prompts. Another stated his belief that Scotland " can't afford" independence ( he meant financially). Bearing in mind these were 15 year old English lads with learning difficulties, I was so impressed and so chuffed. Good for them having some current affairs awareness and an opinion!
  • Nice rant Sartori - getting a bit exited there! Love it. I've been ranting for months but no one has started to listen until now. Westminster has missed the boat methinks (hopefully not!)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • The latest political viewpoint from our friend Mr Salmond. I think the only way this chuff is getting away with it is by playing the racist card. He has Scots so fired up about giving the English a bloody nose over this that they have become blinded to the fact that he is a complete *unt with no fucking idea how to run the country once he has hoodwinked them into supporting him. His view on an Independant Scotland's position on the national debt they will have to accept from the overall UK debt if they leave is summed up by the article below.

"Alex Salmond has reportedly taunted the Westminster government over whether an independent Scotland should take on its share of the national debt, saying: “What are they going to do – invade?”
    The First Minister was said to have made the comments when pressed about how the Government would react to a decision by a newly independent Scotland to leave the Union without shouldering its share of national debt.
    The comments were reported by ITV News, citing sources close to the First Minister, although they were dismissed as “total nonsense” by Mr Salmond’s spokesman."

Would you vote to support such a wooly brained toss-pot? I think not. It's a bit like when in a pub, and it's time for your round and you say 'Oh, I think I've left my wallet in the glove box if my car! ' except this round is likely to be worth around £100 billion pound.
    The above scenario re the wallet happened to me once. True! Mrs Appy made the midget armed/clowns pockets twat in that case go to his car and get it out.
    £100 billion? Invasion would probably be worth it !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-11 15:16:32
  • If I was Scottish I'd vote 'yes'.

If there was a referendum for London to leave the UK, I'd vote 'yes'.
  • Pet said:

If I was Scottish I'd vote 'yes'.

If there was a referendum for London to leave the UK, I'd vote 'yes'.

Hardly. London is the UK !
    Funny how some people never listen to the arguments or the facts and just vote the way they always have. I know people who, if the Conservatives put up a pig as a candidate at the next general election, they would vote for it as long as it had a blue rosette on it.
  • I vote Conservative and would vote "yes" in the referendum. Does this mean I'm totally fucked up :-??
  • In a word, yes sweetie !
    Remember I said a pig in a blue rosette? In the Scotland vote, that pig is Salmond !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!