Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 114 Comments sorted by
  • I'm eager for the USA to start breaking up into smaller nations. It's too darn big. Only problem is I'd have to move North, back into the freezing zones.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Speaking of the American landscape, UT...I finally saw that giant-ish neon saguaro. It was daytime; so, I really had to seek it out. It does not stand out. Now, back to Braveheart...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Anyhoo as a suedo civil servant I am now in Purdah (and so are you UT/KR) so in the words of our favourite blue Scotsman, Mel Gibson, FREEDOM! Let's hope Salmond gets to repeat this scene next Thursday evening when they hang, draw & quarter him (wishful thinking!)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • HellsBells- everyone's entitled to their opinion and free speech, and we re all friends here? But if you've followed the story and really researched all the info as objectively as possible ( not easy), then it all points to Scotland being royally screwed if the Yes vote wins...and the rest of the UK getting a big dollop of doomdom too...Surely, if some of the major institutions like BP and RBS are saying they'll relocate HQs then that speaks for itself?
    I guess anyone who lives more than twenty miles outside of London has the feeling that Westminster doesn't treat them fairly, but a lot of that is down to media bias. I can understand why some Scots, esp the younger generation, might be feeling a bit cheesed off....but we re all in it together! And the Scots do already have their own Parliamnent! For once I agree with Cameron, voting Yes just to spite the effing Tories would be a catastrophic disaster. I'm getting too passionate about this....ho hum....I need to lie down in a field of cabbages, count the slugs and be thankful I'm a YellowBelly.
  • As a matter of fact, I'm tired of hearing them bang on about the Scottish referendum in every news broadcast.  I can't vote in it, nor can anyone I know.  My only connection with Scotland is having visited Edinburgh for three or four days in the mid-1970s.  Even that was unintended on my part.  A friend turned up at my bedsit and said he was off to Scotland for a few days, did I want to come along?  I thought for a minute or two and said 'OK'.  The place turned out to be more alien than I'd expected.  It felt (to me) like a foreign country -- which I found uncomfortable.  (Am I the only person who finds it uncomfortable to be in a foreign country?  That's a reason I haven't visited continental Europe since 1968.  As for venturing further than Europe -- that strikes me as a nightmare I'd rather not experience.  The golden road to Samarkand and the road to Mandalay are for other people.  As to America -- it is, by all reports, a frightful place full of blind gun-wielding loonies who can't even spell.  Fuck that!)

I know that the referendum result is likely to affect me.  Perpetual Tory governments maybe.  I have always strongly disliked the Tories.  (Always?  Well, since I first became aware of politics in the 1950s.)  There again, that vile scumbag Blair turned the Labour Party into a faction of the Tories, so maybe it won't make all that much difference.  But there's nothing I can do about the referendum, not even influence a voter, so why keep banging on about it to me?  Bother someone else about it.

I'll be interested to hear the result -- but, until then, it's someone else's business.

So why am I contributing to this thread?  Fuck knows.

Incidentally, there have been two referendums in England during my lifetime, and I voted on the losing side in both of them.  Don't talk to me about referendums!
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-09-12 04:46:39
  • I vote Conservative and would vote "yes" in the referendum. Does this mean I'm totally fucked up :-??

No , although you`d be doomed to a life of pauperdom but still hate poor people at the same time ;)

Pet said:

As a matter of fact, I'm tired of hearing them bang on about the Scottish referendum in every news broadcast.

Yes , just a bit . BBC - "that ebola thing with thousands of people still dying or that Ukraine war thing destabilising the world status quo , they can go away , they`re depressing , lets find some nice tartan wearing scottish person to interview about fried mars bars and voting"
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-09-12 05:47:23
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • ^ Yeah, considered in the context of the woes of the world, the Scottish referendum is (at best) no more than a sideshow.

Here's a question I've heard nobody else ask: how come the Invictus Games don't include a team war-injured Afghani civilians?
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-09-12 06:12:11
  • Found this.  I thought a good title was:
    'Alex Salmond tries a dry run without the revolver in case things go wrong next week'

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • He had probably just read this:

Alex Salmond’s vote-winning claim that only leaving the Union could save the NHS in Scotland was in danger of unravelling on Thursday night as key arguments of the Yes campaign came under sustained attack from leading economists and business leaders.

Research published by the influential Institute for Fiscal Studies think tank found that the devolved Holyrood government currently spent less on the health service in real terms than its English equivalent - undermining Mr Salmond’s claim that Westminster government posed a threat to the NHS.

“It is hard to see how independence could allow Scotland to spend more on the NHS than would be possible within a Union where it will have significant tax raising powers and considerable say over spending priorities,” the authors concluded.

“A combination of the eventual fall in oil revenues and an ageing population could make for a tougher fiscal outlook for Scotland than the rest of the UK and hence less room for additional spending on things like the NHS.”

• iuventus said:

I'm eager for the USA to start breaking up into smaller nations. It's too darn big. Only problem is I'd have to move North, back into the freezing zones.

Just looove your funky new Avatar Iuv !  :x
  • iuventus said:

Speaking of the American landscape, UT...I finally saw that giant-ish neon saguaro. It was daytime; so, I really had to seek it out. It does not stand out. Now, back to Braveheart...

youv'e gotta see it at night.  It is so.....gaudy ! True kitsch!
  • Appy61 said:

Anyhoo as a suedo civil servant I am now in Purdah (and so are you UT/KR) so in the words of our favourite blue Scotsman, Mel Gibson, FREEDOM! Let's hope Salmond gets to repeat this scene next Thursday evening when they hang, draw & quarter him (wishful thinking!)

There is nowt pseudo about my civil servant hood dear boy.  Died in the wool government machine just like Mrs A and Mrs T.  Apparantly, unknown to us, we have been programmed with a secret trigger word that set us off on an unstoppable splurge of spending public money.  I haven't heard it though is many years. !
    Talking of all things Scottish, are Iuv's postings in this thread 'A Letter from America'?
  • Wow, first Morrisey, now the Ukraine and Kim Jong-Un of North Korea are backing Scottish Independence.
    Is there no limit to respected people who want to get on board this campaign? A headline to digest.

It's Kim Jock-Un! North Korea backs the Scottish breakaway from the UK.
    Repressive communist state keen to develop trade links with Edinburgh
    Pyongyang-backed newspaper says separation 'very positive for Scotland'
    Regime's SNP embrace comes after Ukraine rebels voiced Salmond support.

• So support from a communist despot and a bunch of terrorists - great credential. 

PS the pseudo bit wasn't about you although as you work for a foundation trust I'm not sure - perhaps your died wool is fading after all the NHS is to be privatised according to the Jocks!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Actually, if you read up on this true historical event, you will discover that, of the 119 men of the 24th Regiment of Foot, 49 were English, 32 were Welsh, 16 were Irish and 22 others of indeterminate nationality.
    Perhaps the potential forthcoming schism was foreseen all those years ago in this most wonderful of films.
    Apparantly, Salmond is most accuratley described as a Schismatic; a person who creates or incites a schism in a group or organisation.
    I can think of a lot of other words beginning with S that would do just as well.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-13 19:58:10

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!