Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • I was watching Jimmy Fallon last September when Tina Fey was on. Goldfrapp was on next. I'd heard of her, but had never heard any of her music, so I watched them perform Drew and I was hooked! So now I'm all caught up on all the albums, have seen just about all the videos and interviews. MAJOR fan now. :)
  • I was watching Jimmy Fallon last September when Tina Fey was on. Goldfrapp was on next. I'd heard of her, but had never heard any of her music, so I watched them perform Drew and I was hooked! So now I'm all caught up on all the albums, have seen just about all the videos and interviews. MAJOR fan now. :)

Welcome to the happy throng. (That's not a typo by the way. Definatley throng not thong. Mind you, you gotta do what you gotta do) when you get a chance, get over to the first gigs thread and tell us where you started.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I first noticed Goldfrapp in BBC footage of Glastonbury the year Alison wore the horse tail.  I didn't see the full set, just Strict Machine in a compilation of the best of that year's Glastonbury.  Most of the compilation was crud and, maybe because the dross had lulled me into a stupor, I didn't catch the name of the band.

Some time later, I was in HMV on Oxford Street.  They were playing the Somerset House disc from "Wonderful Electric" on a huge screen covering an entire wall.  I thought: "I like the cut of her jib... the music's not bad, either."  I asked a shop assistant what was playing.  He glanced at the wall screen and said: "It looks like Somerset House".  Somehow, I managed to extract enough information from him to find "Wonderful Electric".  I also checked out Goldfrapp's CDs (now that I had the name of the band).  "Black Cherry" was on special offer, so I bought that as well as "Wonderful Electric".

Some time later, I saw the Glastonbury Strict Machine again, and was surprised to find that the band was Goldfrapp.  I must have repeatedly listened to Strict Machine on "Black Cherry" by that time.  I've no idea how come I'd failed to figure that it was the same song... unless, perhaps, I'd noticed the horse tail more than the song.
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-07-18 04:39:08
  • Heard SM on radio few times some time in 2009. Found Utopia and then Fly Me Away on youtube.

Never heard of them before..

Few years later found old post on other forum in What's on your mp3 player thread that said that I allegedly had Supernature.. No idea who did it
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • I found Goldfrapp by a chance viewing of Strict Machine at Glastonbury 2014 on I Player...I loved it and thought Alison was gorgeous ; ) Then I watched the whole set and was mesmorised and that was that. Quickly got all the cd's - fell in love with Ulla, Alvar, Road to Somewhere and Cologne Cerrone Houdini and headed off to Greenwich...
  • Welcome Hausmaus!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

Welcome Hausmaus!

Thank you : )
  • Glad that somebody else has mentioned Ulla. It's one of my Top 5 Frapp songs (God, how hard is it to draw up that list), and often seems to be overlooked to me. Id give anything to hear Alison sing that one live, it mesmerises me.
  • i love a bit of ulla too.
  • Laurel is also a cracking song and overlooked.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thread Bump
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • For me, the answer is: very, nay glacially, slowly, but unstoppably and inevitably!

I think that in about the mid-2000s I was thinking to myself that I wasn't listening to enough music any more - being as I was in my mid-30s and so feeling too old for radio 1 and too young for radio 2 - I only ever seemed to listen to radio 4!   

I can't actually remember where I heard of GF, but the logic will have been that I've always been partial to my electronica, ambient, that sort of thing - and somebody will have mentioned GF, so I upped and purchased Black Cherry.  

But the funny thing is...  I listened to it, thought "Yeah, that's not bad.  Quite like Train...", but it didn't really hit home, and it sort-of slipped out of my consciousness again. 

It was only a couple of years later when a mate sold me his old Nokia smartphone and didn't clear all the content off the memory card, and I noticed this-'ere Supernature thing.  I suppose you could say that much of SN is quite "obviously accessible" even to somebody a bit dense and slow like me!   So I kept listening to that... then went back to Black Cherry and frankly fell head-over-heels in love with it; firstly maybe the more obvious tracks like Train [I am a railwayman after all...!], Strict Machine [also professionally relevant!] and Crystalline Green, but ultimately for me the heart-melting Hairy Trees, which may or may not still be my all-time favourite GF song, depending on my mood.  

After that, as you can imagine, it was the inevitable process of "filling in" the albums I didn't have: Felt Mountain worked for me... but actually it's only really been since Tales Of Us, which for me has been the ultimate slow-but-inevitable-burn album (to the extent I'm discovering it further even after a year or more of listening!), that I've started also to love Seventh Tree (I don't know why I didn't appreciate it initially), so basically the whole oeuvre...

Now I'm not entirely sure what I'd do without A and W now in terms of general daily life-survival... 

I'd have to confess, though, that I do still struggle a bit with Head First (with the exception of Voicething, which doesn't really sit with the feel of the rest of the album, in my view)...  I can see what GF were wanting to do, and there are moments of brilliance, of course - and Alison's voice is never less than exquisite - and yet, and yet...  I don't know: I suspect this makes me a Bad Person...!?

So there you go.  All violently uninteresting, I strongly suspect!
    Post edited by 37201xoIM at 2015-03-22 15:40:40
  • I got into Ladytron about 2002 and Goldfrapp were often mentioned in fan-chat
  • I love seeing new names posting on this board, but this thread especially.
    ...That's it, carry on :)

• This looks like the best place to start...
    So, before becoming a fan, I'd been quite exposed to the music of Goldfrapp without even noticing it. I heard Strict Machine in a commercial (and I remember being impressed by the chorus, but I only understood the words 'I'm in love' so I wasn't able to find out the song's title), and I also watched the infamous iPhone ad a few times. Also, Rocket was quite a hit over here (I still hear it on the radio sometimes) and the 'ooooooooooooh' part in Alive was used pretty much everywhere (I thought it was an old 80s ABBA song D:)

Then, one day, using an app which suggests new artists based on your music tastes, I got to listen to the whole Ooh La La, and I quite liked it, but at first I wasn't bothered to explore their other songs. Some time later, though, I did, (how I was satisfied when I found out about Strict Machine) and their second song I listened to was Utopia, and I instantly fell in love with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!