Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • I once did a wine tasting tour in the Pomerol at Chateau Mouton Rothschild, but I am sure you will not find that a surprise. Visit the Dordoyne every year for two weeks and do the annual pilgrimage to St Emilion.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-12-30 17:44:57
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh man, UT, you're killing me.  That would be fine indeed.

I should probably give St Emilion a second try, since it was early in my wine-tasting days.  But, damn, Margeaux, Pomerol, Paulliac, Chateuneuf du Pape, Puilly Fuisse.  I don't know where to fit it in between the cabernet.  Hmmm, reminds me, I need another glass.
  • I like Chateauneuf du Pape as well, but I find Beaujolis a bit thin for my liking.
    Did I ever say my father was a wine merchant? That is why he ran the off licence!
  • I was wondering what "off license" meant.  Got it.  What a great job!  They used to say that Michael Eisner, running Disney, was the dream job.  I don't know.  Wine merchant sounds pretty good to me.  I was living in Japan when the floor fell out from under them in the early 90's and I got a whole lot of incredible wine for chump change.  I remember, doing my typical analysis style once, buying a bottle of some wine (may have been St Emilion) and waiting like a really long time (might have been two years - I was young - just kidding.  I think it was at least a decade) and buying a new bottle so I could compare.  The difference really was amazing.  Of course, I've also had an old bottle that the cork crumbled and the wine tasted like vinegar.  Ummm, it was vinegar.
  • Bizarrely, to run an off licence, you still have to have a licence. Off licence just means that the alcohol sold is to be consumed off the premises, unlike a public house or a bar, where it is consumed on the premises.
    They sold beer, wine, sherry, hard spirits, soft drinks, cider, just about anything you could drink, as well as chocolate, crisps, nuts, arrowroot biscuits ( sold separately out of glass jars) and, of course, cigarettes.
    In such a place, I was raised. I should be a 25 stone, alchey with a very bad cough!
  • Sounds like a very fun environment.  I'm glad you explained "off license".  So, it was like a shop, right?
  • Yes, a shop at the front and a larger depot at the rear. The shop served the public, the depot pubs and clubs.
    We also did outside catering. Just booze, for events, parties, weddings etc, which also required a license each time, as alcohol was being sold to the public. I started doing these with the old man when I was about 14. One regular annual event was the end of year bash at the local teacher training college and they always had bands on. At one of these around 1975 was Eddie and the Hot Rods, a very early, proto punk act of note. Do not count them as my first gig as I did not pay and was working, but I hung around the floor collecting glasses a lot when they were on.
  • So, you didn't wish to carry on the business?
  • It was not his business. He was a manager for a larger company. I needed something more creative but you are not the first person to have asked that. They see Wine Merchant and think "that's romantic" .
    Went to Francis Ford Coppola's vineyard in the Napa Valley some years ago as well!
  • Was the wine any good?
  • I first heard Goldfrapp when I was about three years old.  It was 2000 and I distinctly remember the whistling of Lovely Head playing through the house all autumn.  My first Goldfrapp album was Seventh Tree in 2009, followed by the acquisition of the already well knows singles Ooh La La and Strict Machine.  I sheepishly admit I never listened to Seventh Tree much at the time.

It wasn't until recently in 2014 when I took a trip to A&E that I began really listening to 'A&E', and from there the world of Goldfrapp began to open up for me.  I finally (after a long 16 years) fell for the duo last year when I got the discography, and heard 'Let It Take You'.  I am very much a newbie, but I think I have all things covered :P  I hold Alison & Will up with high regard, so much so that they have becomes two of my idols, joining Seal & Jim Kerr at the top.

You just cannot beat Goldfrapp, they have become quintessential listening for me.  I just wish they done more interviews!
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • So @Gaelen you were Goldfrapp fan for your whole life but u didn't realized that? Cool
  • In a round about way, wouldn't have considered myself a die hard fan until last summer though.  Before that it was more a case of "I know who they are".  I didn't even know Goldfrapp was Alison's surname till last year!
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Well I knew about them for 10 years nearly & become a fan just last year so... Just didn't happened to see a vid or listen to them more than couple of times. Once as I saw vid, I was hooked. Other reason is that I listened to more rock than electronic music back then. Lots of rock plus Massive Attack, some instrumental hip-hop... And not so much music overall. At one moment I just felt urgent need of music listened more & found our gem.
    Post edited by Turqs at 2017-01-02 17:59:53
  • I think all of you new guys ought to roust up some of those old threads.  There are some kinda dedicated to newbies and some that a newbie would probably appreciate.  

Wake this place up!  It's been asleep for ages.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!