Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • Welcome aboard Dracerys. Dig out the first gigs thread and also the thread about how you came about your forum name and we will then know all about you !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thank you :)
    Unfortunately, the story behind my name is not that interesting and my first gig never actually happened, but there's the holy 7th album tour for that, right?
    But you'll definitely get to know more about the fabulous Drac Queen :)) (I'm a guy, but this was too hilarious to go unnoticed)
  • So, you said "over here".  U.S.?  There are a few of us here.
  • Woah,eagle eyed Whickwithy !
    Haven't seen any dropped U's yet. Usually a dead giveaway.
  • So, you said "over here".  U.S.?  There are a few of us here.

Nope, Italy  :-h
  • You need to bump into @Giancarlo. He resides in Milan. Not been here for a few months but active on Twitter.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-08-12 15:06:19
  • Dracarys said:

Nope, Italy  :-h

Grazie (hope I spelled it right).
  • My journey had a darker beginning than most of yours. Still, if you'll allow me to "spill my guts" so to speak, I'd be happy to share my story with you, as you are all like family to me now. I know it is quite long, so please skip if you wish - I don't wish to be a bore or burden, and won't be offended.

I was in my late teens, and forced out of the closet by an overbearing, selfish, egotistical father (who had ironically hidden his true sexuality from my mother, divorcing her ten years after I was born and tearing me away from her to live in the Quebec countryside with his new husband). It was a devastating period, with myself feeling trapped and imprisoned in my own "home". It was utter hell, with my father and "second father" screaming, throwing things at me and putting themselves first. I was constantly berated, cut down in front of others and made to feel like I was baggage in their pretentious lives. Music was my only method of escape, and not having even an iPod for myself made things difficult. After I saved up from working (in the same factory as them), I bought an iPod Touch, got a little internet wifi usb to stick in my laptop, and set up an iTunes account. 

I spent every penny I had on iTunes cards, buying as much music as I could. I still remember buying Stevie Nicks' "Bella Donna" album as my first purchase, letting her heavenly crooning rock me to sleep at night - with headphones so that the house remained dead silent. I kept buying more and more - every Kylie and Madonna album, Sheryl Crow's old '90s desert rock sounding albums, and absolutely everything by Enya that I could find. It helped. I could listen to it at work and silence the world around me. 

In early 2010, it was getting harder and harder to continue, however. It was clear to me that I was not wanted, despite my father stating several times that he loved me and wanted me to do well and all that. If that was true, he never expressed it the way a parent should - with love and respect. I started doing cocaine and found other similar "distractions", and tried to find solace within the music that I had accumulated - but it wasn't powerful enough to silence the shout-filled, stressful and nerve-shattering existence that I was imprisoned in. 

Then, one cold February day in 2010, I found them. Goldfrapp. I was checking out the "what others have bought like this" feature in iTunes, under Kylie's album "X". Supernature popped up, and I clicked on it, curious. I bought the album a minute later. Ooh La La was the first song I heard, followed by Number 1, Strict Machine, Let it Take you and Gone to Earth. I had bought every album I could afford, and came back each time I earned a paycheque to get the rest. I then noticed an album with the familiar bright orange "pre-order" option: it was Head First. I fell in love, and felt the world wash away in a way I had been searching for.

In the summer of 2010, I moved out of my father's place into a cockroach-infested apartment with drug addicts for neighbours, yet it was more comforting than ever before. I began to date and find myself, and began exploring the possibility of having my own life. I got off the drugs, found healthier distractions (such as eating bowl after bowl of Kraft Dinner and watching Will & Grace after work), and kept a level head. I still had to see my father and his husband at work, and it made things horrendously stressful there, but I had my own place to hide away in at the time, so it helped.

In the summer of 2011, I couldn't take it anymore. I was holding knives to my throat and chickening out at the last second amidst the horrors my family was bringing to my life, and I decided that they weren't deserving of me any longer. I packed everything I had into boxes, and moved to Ottawa. I have never looked back except for in my writing: I now am beginning my final year of studies in a Professional Writing program (can you tell?) at a fantastic college in Ottawa, which I am paying for myself via a student loan. I live with the most wonderful man in the world, who loves and protects me. We have been together since October 2011, and have both never been happier. I feel safe. I'm always smiling. I'm truly happy. It was all thanks to Goldfrapp (the songs Road to Somewhere (acoustic) and Some People, helped most), that I gained strength to continue on. I regret not doing it sooner, but at that time I was scared of the world around me. I didn't feel it was worthwhile to even step outside. I wish Alison could read this, just to see what kind of impact her and Will's efforts have on us. They truly warm my heart, and always remind me that the world is actually a beautiful place - we just need to find our place within it, and realize that there IS a place for each of us.

I've never looked back since. 

Post edited by Slippage at 2015-08-13 11:04:23
  • Wow Slip. How awful. You live in Canada ! :)
    Seriously, what a story. I feel my life has been so ..normal, compared to yours. Well done for keeping strong and finding a way through. Music is like that, it can give you a little lifeboat to cling to, when the rain sets in. (Sorry, that's an Elton John lyric - Candle in the Wind - Well, except about the lifeboat!)
    Makes my story posted earlier of seeing them on Jools Holland in 2003 a bit humdrum. =D>
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-08-13 14:58:59
  • Great, and terrible, story, slippage. Thank you.

I have the same wish to let Alison and Will know the story behind my love of their music. It seems to me that the atmosphere they have created, both musically and otherwise is the sort that makes possible a really intense connection with one's personal history - heart, body, and mind.  

Bet your writing's going to be like that too!
  • Great (and encouraging) to hear you are doing so well, Slippage.  You know, somewhere in the past, there was a similar uplifting story concerning Goldfrapp.  I don't remember who it was or details.
  • Wow! Just wow...

Thanks for sharing your story Slippage.

• Wow Slippage. That's probably the most devastating story I've ever read on here. You could have had your own song on Tales of Us, because that is a terrifying story with a beautiful ending. Thanks for sharing all that.

• It's been said many times, but one of the greatest appeals of GFs music is that it embraces and experiments with so many different moods, in a way, like Abba's did. That's why I get so cross when I read anyone knocking the Head First album. That was the album that came out when I was escaping a toxic relationship and coping with my mums death, so I can't express how much I needed it and how much it helped me. Most of us on here could say something similar I suppose. I've always found Alison's mixture of brooding thoughtfulness, whimsicality and uplifting playfulness extremely attractive and it's all reflected in the music. Long live Goldfrapp! I don't mind waiting...and waiting some more...for whatever comes next. The music that has gone before will sustain me just like my memories of the people I miss. I'm happy that you're now in a happy place Slippage.
  • I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. It warms my heart! Its true, music is an integral part of our lives - whether we know it or not. It can inspire us, seduce us, make us feel happy, make us feel like shaking our groove thing, and can save many lives as it had done for me on countless occasions. 

Those years of hardship and suffering are behind me now, and feel like little more than an afterthought. Occasionally I go back to them for writing inspiration (why not turn something bad into something helpful and useful?), but that's all for the most part. I love being excited about what the next day will bring, and not waking up alone. 

I hope music continues have as large a role in your lives as it has done in mine - it really helps open your eyes and see the world more clearly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!