Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 353 Comments sorted by
  • I think Bob might have meant his own, personal beliefs.
  • I think Bob might have meant his own, personal beliefs.

Hi WW. I looked this up before posting (always best I have found).
    This is the article:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20110417084412/http://www.tribune242.com/04122011_Bob-Marley_features_pg9
    And this is the pertinent paragraph. Not being a Rastafarian, I cannot be really sure it is an actual tenant of that religion to not cut the skin, but I am sure someone on the board will know (and we may found out if Goldfrapp have any Rastafarian fans).

The shocking diagnosis of a malignant melanoma (Skin Cancer) was given to Bob Marley. He was advised that treatment would be to amputate the toe, to stop the cancer from spreading.
    In Miami still in the summer 1977, the British diagnosis of malignant melanoma was confirmed to Bob Marley again. He was advised to get the toe amputated and possibly the right foot. Again he refused.
    Why didn't Bob Marley have the amputation? He cited religious beliefs about "not cutting the flesh". However he allowed the famous orthopedic surgeon Dr William Bacon to do a surgical excision to "cut away" cancerous tissue on the toe and do a skin graft at Cedar's of Lebanon Hospital (now University of Miami Hospital). He remained in Hospital one week and spent about three months recuperating in Miami. The procedure was deemed "a success". But sadly it was not. The cancer in it virulent form began to spread through his body (metastasized).
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-11 09:41:16
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh, UT.  I thought it might be more of a case of believing that trusting modern medicine, especially with something like cancer, is kinda like the old days of trusting blood letting.  Just more expensive.
  • H.R Giger died today :(
  • rewak said:

H.R Giger died today :(

Just saw that - such a huge shame.

I've always been interested and intrigued with his work from discovering it via sci-fi as a young-un right through to the new Triptykon album which I bought last week that uses his art all through.

The weird thing about Giger was that he only really had one style all through his life and for some artists the effect would pale if that was the case but with his work.....well, it always maintained being something to see.

A real shame indeed but his legacy will be around, subconsciously, for a long time I'd wager.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • First came across Geigers work associated with the first Alien movie (also huge attraction to Sigourney Weaver in her pants) but I did follow up on Gieger (as Sigourney was unavailable) and bought some books of his work. Wonderful organic artist and some disturbing and thought provoking content. He will be missed.
  • U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Today is the birthday of the late great Marilyn Monroe, may her soul rest in peace.

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-06-01 04:46:32
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • A sad anniversary but great memories and films. Some Like it Hot is a comedy master class of innuendo and mistaken identity. There is a new book out on her death and providing further evidence that she was murdered to cover up her affairs with John & Bobby Kennedy. More here.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630449/EXCLUSIVE-Bobby-Kennedy-ordered-Marilyn-Monroes-murder-lethal-injection-prevent-revealing-torrid-affairs-RFK-JFK-dirty-Kennedy-family-secrets-new-book-claims.html

Perhaps this should go into the conspiracy theories thread?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-01 06:02:23
  • ^Perhaps it should yes. I guess we will never know the truth, I'd like to check this book out though. I've just finished reading Barbara Lemming's biography, Lemming very much goes with the suicide or accidental overdose theory, and presented no evidence to the contrary. That isn't enough to suggest a closed case though.  It  would be easy to let it rest with suicide, given Marilyn had a history of attempted suicides, but I guess we will never really know what happened for sure???

Indeed 'Some Like It Hot' is an absolute masterpiece, pretty much anything with Marilyn is just for her sheer screen presence. Of all her films, I rate Niagara, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Seven Year Itch, Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot and The Misfits most highly. Coincidentally enough I watched 'The Misfits' last night, there is something very haunting about this movie, not least for the fact it was a project wrought with unease from the start. 'The Misfits' is a tale of tragedy both on and off screen,  Marilyn's last completed movie, Clark Gable died ten days after filming had wrapped up, and the fact it spelt the end for Marilyn and Arthur Miller, a tragic tale in so many ways.

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-06-01 08:03:29
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Just read that Rik Mayall has died! :(
  • rewak said:

Just read that Rik Mayall has died! :(

Really shocked when I heard :( Met him once and he was a lovely man x
  • Am just reading now, that was unexpected
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • A very funny man. Too young. His partnership with Ade Edmondson was a classic from my youth. Sadly missed already.
    Will always be 'the People's Poet' !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-09 13:42:27
  • rewak said:

Just read that Rik Mayall has died! :(

Young Ones and, to a greater extent, Bottom formed a communal link with virtually all of my best friends growing up and was post-pub, quote-along fare for literally years. When you stop and work out how many classic comedy series you've loved with him in you really feel the weight of it. Really very sad indeed and only 56 too - he had years of being daft in him!

An absolute comedy b'stard.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!