Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 110 Comments sorted by
  • Contrarily , I like made up words or phrases that make sense but I try not to use them if discourserising with peeps who don't have English as a first language .

I'm particularly fond of Ye Olde/Inventative/Mum Annoying Swearing .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-04-17 12:30:35
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Then, there's "my bad".  What's up with that?!?  Devolution at its finest.
  • Happy Easter everyone.
    To the word list, I would add 'Portent' on a day like today: an indication of something important or calamitous about to happen. An omen, a prophecy of something significant. Something amazing or marvellous. A prodigy.
    Mix these together, this could be signs that Keith Flint will appear in your garden at night in full firestarter character or:
    'Ding dong'. bang!, bang!, bang!.'Max Clifford ! '. We know your in there. It's the Operation Yewtree Police'!
    Perhaps some Christmas gigs after Greenwich?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-20 06:16:34
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Sartori said:

Contrarily , I like made up words or phrases that make sense but I try not to use them if discourserising with peeps who don't have English as a first language. 

Hi Satori
    I think Appy61 wanted this thread to be a place for lost words that we would like to see reintroduced to common discourse, as you so correctly put it. Such a correct term that you nicely balance with the word 'peeps' in the same sentence. Perhaps we need to start a new discussion for slang words we want to bring back to replace the 4 letter words ( or Quadriliterals ) so common amongst the uncouth. We could then shout out at an Adam Ant gig ' come back you lazy Mahout and gives us an encore'

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-20 19:18:24
  • An apt time for a word from the king of the curse, Vince the Fox. Was it only me who thought BBC3's Mongrels was one of the funniest things in TV in the last few years? bring it back BBC!

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-21 16:11:58
  • ^ bit off-topic but, in that youtube URL... if you take out the 'feature=player_detailpage&' bit.. it'll embed the video in the post itself (ie what i was saying to Appy earlier). You might have been aware, but in case not...
  • ^ bit off-topic but, in that youtube URL... if you take out the 'feature=player_detailpage&' bit.. it'll embed the video in the post itself (ie what i was saying to Appy earlier). You might have been aware, but in case not...

I did not know that. Thanks H J

• Hi Satori
    I think Appy61 wanted this thread to be a place for lost words that we would like to see reintroduced to common discourse, as you so correctly put it.

What the hell - if people want to post slang then so be it. Who am I to interfere with organic growth!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I bet Justin Bieber s fans don,t have intellectual conversation like this ha! I'm wondering if anyone else uses the word Snecky, which means nosey - is that just an old Lincolnshire thing or is it used in other parts of the country? And what about " bushed"' as in "tired"? I see this thread running and running....
  • A convert !
    Never used Snecky, but it has just entered my lexicon. 'Keep your neb out' as in don't be nosey. Neb obviously being a substitute for nose. Also 'trunky'
    Any others anyone?
    Who's Justin Bieber? Is that the smell of talentless pretty boy Canadian tosser I smell?
  • This is my bugaboo word that had me utterly stumped as a child, adultery.

An adult is a post adolescent human. The word adultery implies a wrong, a crime a sin or some such thing in the way it is used.

Therefore, there is something criminal or sinful about being an adult? It's just a really weird word. 

Post edited by TVC15 at 2014-04-25 16:31:06
  • Think it is yes...... ! There's a word that the NOD defines as being "Bieber-Like". It rhymes with banker . You get the picture.
  • Actually, adultery comes form the latin word, adulterāre, which means adulterate, which means to make impure by adding extraneous, improper, or inferior ingredients, which kinda makes sense.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-04-25 17:53:35
  • Whickit, of course! A Churchy word. I should have known.
  • Sounds a bit like what you want to get when you are bowling in a game of Cricket.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!