Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • But i do remember i got into björk cause of of post. At music store. Vernon hills illinois.
  • i heard PILOTS on KCRW while early morning masturbating in Los Angeles in 2001 after the single was released....and that was it......love affair since.....sorry it's the truth
  • @stevil- hahaha. Thanks for sharing. I was naughty, DJing in Amsterdam in 1999. A DJ friend came over from the UK with illicit minidiscs of all the latest tunes. One of them was a prerelease of Utopia. It was the music I had always wanted to hear but couldn't. Because nobody had made any up to that point. Instant devotion.

• 2003 and I'd just met my husband. We used to lie on the bed and listen to music and he played me Felt Mountain...I heard Utopia and was hooked instantly. It's now my fav Frapp song and takes me right back to the heady days when we were young and dizzy in love :)
  • If you go on Facebook and read any of the Goldfrapp posts , theres always someone who starts their post stating that they got into them with FM... and they needed to share that with everyone for some reason as if they got a chocolate medal for it . Observes showoff knobhead/`normal person` FB ratio is skewed somewhat .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-09-29 09:05:39
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I've noticed that too.
    I've been a fan since post-Seventh Tree. And proud of it.

• This is a bit like being on the couch at the trick cyclist's.
    Mr Tribesman! The Dr will see you now.
    Ah, yes! Come and lay here and tell me, when did this obsession with 'Goldfrapp?' start?
    Well Doc. It was around May 2003 and we had recorded Jools Holland so we could fast forward through all the crap bits (some things never change). We came across a band with this curly haired blonde singer wearing a short skirt, thigh length boots and a black Kepi hat singing a song called Train and thought 'hey, this is different'. Skipping through more tosh, we then saw Black Cherry and Strict Machine with the singer slapping a Theramin about in a most sexy and suggestive way and I thought 'need to find more out about this', so went out and bought Black Cherry. I shared it with a mate and he said 'oh, I've got their first album, Felt Mountain' so we swapped and that was it - love baby! We then went to see them at the NEC supporting Duran Duran in April 2004 (we were there for them, not DD). Pretty lousy sound due to the huge arena, and only did 7 numbers I think and everyone around us was chatting and saying 'who the fuck is this and why is she wearing a horse's tail' but they were dumbfucks obviously. Then, bizarre coincidence. We has booked a holiday to Barcelona in May to go to the Grand Prix and I was on the old GF website and saw they were playing there. absolutely gob smacked to discover it was on the 2nd day we were there at the Sala Razamattaz! That's Kismet and I never go against the Gods. Booked tickets and that was a great, intimate gig.
    The rest is 10 years of aural pleasure !
    Hm! I think there is no cure for this condition Mr Tribesman. It's terminal so I suggest you just indulge it at every opportunity!
    On your way out, can you send in the next patient please.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Found this picture of a poster of the gig in Barcelona.  We don't seem to get good gig advertising posters to collect any more.

• We don't seem to get good gig advertising posters to collect any more.

(cough) Reading, Hexagon, Laura and the raiding party
    Post edited by Bottlehead at 2014-05-02 16:06:36
  • We don't seem to get good gig advertising posters to collect any more.

(cough) Reading, Hexagon, Laura and the raiding party

Yeah, but was it a proper GF promotion poster with the venue on?  It would have been nice to have the TOU poster (£20 signed by Alison) with each of the venues on them for us to (ahem) nick, but I never saw any like this.  I once nicked a Muse poster that was stuck to the back of a store front in Bordeux when they played there.  There were several on the back of the glass and the technique is just walk up and as bold as brass remove it, roll it up and walk away as though it is the most obvious thing in the world. Works every time !
    Been mentioned before recently.  The merch has been pretty thin on the ground on this tour.
  • Official ToU details- check
    Picture of Alison - check
    Venue details - check
  • Official ToU details- check
    Picture of Alison - check
    Venue details - check

Cool. Haven't seen one of those on this tour. At Brighton, it was just a printed A4 sheet of paper with Goldfrapp, the date and the support on it. Can you post a photo of it?
  • I think I've told this story before on the previous site but anyway...here goes...the first Goldrapp song I heard was "Black Cherry" on a MInistry of Sound Compilation in early 2000s. I was travelling with my husband and son (then baby) in the car one summer and we were playing this song over and over again and asking each other...why is this song not played everywhere? The next time I noticed Goldfrapp was the videos, when I was up at 3.00am doing parent duty and they were on the telly. To be honest, didn't really take to them visually at that stage...being a serious Kate Bush Fan, I finally "got" the visuals when I saw "Strict Machine"The visual in the mid 2000s...One thing really got me finally into Goldfrapp...itunes...my animal companion of 13 years died in the mid 2000s and I was distraught...itunes was new and I was like a kid in a candy shop...I stumbled upon the album "Felt Fountain" and I found a song that expressed my grief about my beloved Louis which is "Utopia"...Then ST was released which I devoured and then explored the back catalogue...both albums and visuals...
    Post edited by isobel at 2014-05-08 10:09:01
    ISOBEL
  • Interesting how many people have been comforted by Goldfrapp in times of sadness.  Just amazing really.  Seems to be a trend.
  • I saw Twist video on Dotmusic website - and then started exploring for more, found Strict Machine, then remembered seeing (and liking) video for Train, and then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!  :D
    Formerly known as alex_t.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!