Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
How did you get into Goldfrapp?
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • I'd heard one of their tracks on an Armani advert but never knew who it was.  The I went to see Duran Duran and Goldfrapp were supporting.  Heard the tune again, recognised it and that was that!
  • I was watching our weekend late night music show on the ABC here in OZ one night many years ago now when on came Ride A White Horse. 

I had heard of Goldfrapp before this (and in passing heard earlier stuff) but it must have been the television experience (I know it was an animation) which added weight to the experience. That song was intoxicating ! and from there I looked up earlier Goldfrapp stuff (Felt Mountain etc) and became a fan.

I found the 'Live At Somerset House (Wonderful Electric) DVD; bought it, and THAT has been my Goldfrapp reference ever since (which gives you a clue as to which part of Goldfrapp's music I like best)

Ever since I have hoped that they (Alison and Will) would revisit those days. 

AND...I sort of have a penchant for blonde female singers. It is a weakness I both acknowledge and embrace! :-)
    Post edited by earthspirit at 2013-06-26 18:08:32
  • My friends suggested I'd like this new felt mountain album and dragged me to a gig at ULU. This mysterious voice entranced me and when the opening notes of UK Girls sounded I was the one screaming wildly. Oh and my childhood dream of Simon le Bon was in the audience. Since then there has been a succession of awesome gigs. Union chapel anyone? The Weimar Republic t- shirt sellers!

I want to see you one more time
    Put your dirty angel face
    Between my legs
    And knicker lace

• I think I remember reading about then in Q mag, and wondering why she had forgot her trousers for the press shots. I decided to investigate the debut album. thankfully.
  • I'm from the same history as Dreeke on this one.

Absolutely adored Alison's voice well before Goldfrapp due to her becoming "Auntie" to Orbital's "Snivilisation" album in 1994. Was already an Orbital fan at that point but that really left me instantly smitten.

Then again in 1995 she pops up with Tricky and just compounded things. Her voice became the thing that snared me.

Goldfrapp, the band, had me as a willing fan from day one due to those two and I've never looked back.

Scary to think it'll be 20 years of Alison's voice for me next year - yikes!

Yep, I agree with Carpy on this! For me it was Auntie's vocals on Dwr Budr an Orbital track and the 28 minute version on The Box alongside a few others on their Sniv and Insides albums.
    I remember going along to Shepherds Bush Empire back in the early days and being so disappointed that the gig was cancelled as she had problems with her throat. The rescheduled gig more than made up for it!
  • Pooka said:

I'm from the same history as Dreeke on this one.

Absolutely adored Alison's voice well before Goldfrapp due to her becoming "Auntie" to Orbital's "Snivilisation" album in 1994. Was already an Orbital fan at that point but that really left me instantly smitten.

Then again in 1995 she pops up with Tricky and just compounded things. Her voice became the thing that snared me.

Goldfrapp, the band, had me as a willing fan from day one due to those two and I've never looked back.

Scary to think it'll be 20 years of Alison's voice for me next year - yikes!

Yep, I agree with Carpy on this! For me it was Auntie's vocals on Dwr Budr an Orbital track and the 28 minute version on The Box alongside a few others on their Sniv and Insides albums.
    I remember going along to Shepherds Bush Empire back in the early days and being so disappointed that the gig was cancelled as she had problems with her throat. The rescheduled gig more than made up for it!

I wondered if we'd have the same story, Pooka, and so pleased to see you post.

Dwr Budr is one of my favourite Auntie....sorry,,,,Alison guest vocals. So mysterious & full of held-back emotion.

I guess it might be worth salvaging the side-project master list from the other board for new folks that come here. On my way to grab it now.......
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Started with references on Monkey Dust. I wanted to know what that music was when Clive walked back to his home. Found out it was the haunting beginning of Lovely Head and decided to take a shot. Bought the album Felt Mountain and was instantly hooked. Then I heard interviews about Black Cherry on Radio 2 and from there was pretty much a huge fan and have been for a while :3
  • loved lovely head, whenever it was played i was like "love this song!" but didnt really hear anything else off felt mountain. not until black cherry came out and i picked up the album in asda* did i start getting into them properly

*this was in my teen days of buying albums with great album artwork
  • Pooka said:

I wondered if we'd have the same story, Pooka, and so pleased to see you post.

Aww Carpy, I'm gonna try and stick around a bit more now. I think this is the 3rd reincarnation of the Goldfrapp message board I think?!
  • A friend of mine was rattling on about how great they were, the name was so unusual, so I thought better have a listen. I first heard Strict Machine and that was it basically. I then saw them preforming at Glastonbury 2004 on the BBC, and I was blown away. Especially of Alison's vocal in Utopia. Then I bought Black Cherry, liked it, then found out they had one album before that came out in 2000, I didn't instantly click with Felt Mountain at first, but it's one of my fave albums now.
  • Hello, everyone. :)

I first saw the music video for "Lovely Head" in 2006. Love at first "whistle." ;) I bought all the albums and I was hooked.
    Post edited by Joey at 2013-06-30 00:27:51
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Hi Joey, welcome to the board!
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 04:59:25
  • I had heard some early Goldfrapp but didn't know who they were until I saw the (animated) vid for Ride A White Horse on a late night music show (must have been around 2004-5???) .

Researched their earlier stuff after the initial exposure and found Felt Mountain and Black Cherry... I was instantly hooked, Then discovered the Wonderful Electric DVD and have been in love ever since. 

Saw them live a couple of years ago on the last tour. Wish I had been able to see them live in the early days though...I think it might have been The Black Cherry era?  (like on the wonderful Electric DVD Somerset House show) which is my favourite version of Alison! 
    :x
  • I had heard some early Goldfrapp but didn't know who they were until I saw the (animated) vid for Ride A White Horse on a late night music show (must have been around 2004-5???) .

yep Ride A White Horse came out (single) 13th february,2006 so must of been around then :-bd

the song that made me a Goldfrapp fan on 22nd august 2005..... remember listening to it about 5-6 times in a row

:-bd
    Post edited by Jozzy81 at 2013-06-30 20:15:20
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!