Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp Live in NYC September 10th, 2013.
  • 220 Comments sorted by
  • hunter said:

Nah, your more than old enough and the getting lost, lost, lost part is where all the adventure happens. I went on tour with Bjork when I was 16 and had some of the most amazing, enlightening, scary, exhausting and ultimately rewarding experiences in that 5 weeks driving across the country in a car full of complete strangers!

You should go for it, can you get back on the proper transport after the show or would you have to stay the night?

hunter

Definitely not staying the night.

I'm wondering if I go through all that to get there, my Dad could pick me up from there. I don't wanna ask him to bring me because not only would he not be going to the show but it'd be the 2nd time he'd drive me to and from New York in the same month. I think I could manage getting there in one piece, I'd just need him to come get me. (Besides, he won't want me coming back late at night from the buses/trains/subways).
  • Your Bjork adventure sounds like an amazing adventure! I wish I was as brave as you were!
  • Pros
    • Would be my 1st Goldfrapp concert and I totally love them and all that
    • I could meet some lovely Frappers!
    • It'd be an adventure that I really need
    Cons
    • Over 4 hours away, exhaustion, wouldn't enjoy concert as much as I could
    • Dangerous area
    • $$$: A lot of money spent on buses, trains, subways, and not to mention the $100 (!!) ticket
  • Not sure, but I think that the Upper West Side is one of the least dangerous areas in NYC.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

Not sure, but I think that the Upper West Side is one of the least dangerous areas in NYC.

Yeah but think about all the places I'd be traveling to and from
  • Oh, yes. Those.

Damned dangerous areas!
  • I traveled down to London for a concert recently and thought the same, it's dangerous at night, i'll get lost, etc. But it was totally fine, i Google Streetview'ed the hell out of where i needed to go, i learned the timetable for the Underground trains (actually, i found an app that had them all stored), and i knew coming out of the concert i'd be in a big crowd of fellow fans so it was alright.
  • What?!?! Your first Goldfrapp show?!?! Why is this even a question?!?!

You must do it. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but often times in life you must travel thru bad or scary areas to get to the good ones, most of the fun things you'll want to do are going to cost you bucket loads of money and you are WAAAAY to young to be worrying about getting tired.

After you've braced the journey thru some of those bad and scary places you'll realize that they are just different and if you mind your own business and use common sense you won't be bothered (most of the time, bad things happen to people in nice places to).

Money comes and goes...you can and will make more and if this is something you are excited and passionate about I encourage you to do it.

This is the time of your life where sleep and being well rested should be the furthest of your concerns...whether your the type that wants to go out every night and be the life of the party or you are the type that wants those straight A's in every class or feels good about working 40 hours a week while going to school. Doesn't matter what your motivations are, you are young and stronger than you know and now is the time for exploring, learning and growing.

You will make your own decision and I support which ever way you end up going but just for a little perspective I was 16 when I went to my first show of Bjork's Homogenic Tour. It was 3 hours away and I had every intention of leaving the venue and making my way back home via subway, then a taxi and then a train after which I had 3 hours of waiting at in a dingy train station in a big city before I could get on a bus and make it the rest of the way home. Instead, I decided within 10 minutes to jump in a car, travel across the country with 3 people I had met an hour earlier, live off the couple thousand dollars I had saved for college, dropped out for the rest of that semester and didn't return home for over a month.

No regrets, I can absolutely say that it was a major defining moment of my life and I am truly thankful for it.

Do what you have to (but I hope you get to go). ;)

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-01 01:33:49
  • My friends and I used to play in the streets and alleys of Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., as teens. I can't imagine that Greyhound bus stations on the way to Manhattan's Upper West Side are any more perilous.
  • They aren't, but it's all relative. I have a feeling Jo_ey doesn't play in the alleys of Philly and DC but it doesn't mean he shouldn't go out and take the jump (or bus, metro, subway and taxi ride)...maybe you have a friend you can drag with you for companionship?

Pick your craziest friend and drag them with you and that way, on the slight chance that something bad does happen you can blame it all on them. ;)

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-01 01:43:50
  • Or maybe one of us grownups could meet you at the bus. If anyone got stabbed it would be us, as the friendly-neighborhood mugger would suspect that we were carrying the cash.
  • Hahahahahaha!

=)) =)) =))

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-01 01:53:39
  • I would love to go to New York one day, I wish it was possible, but hey we have more chances to see Goldfrapp in the UK than you guys in the US. It sounds like a really amazing show, really unique and one off. Enjoy your adventures!

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I very much appreciate your words of persuasion and comfort @iuventus and @hunter :)

I will make the decision in the next couple of days.
  • hunter said:and you are WAAAAY to young to be worrying about getting tired.  

Not so much physical exhaustion was I referring to, stress exhaustion. Taking all of these buses and trains and subways is going to stress me out a
    lot. Add getting lost to that and I don't know what I would do, I would be such a wreck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!