Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • I don't wish to cause any distress, iuv, but my computer totally crashed after I updated to Windows 8.1. :((
    It won't start up now. Cursing and shaking my fist was only the first of the nasty things I did to the bloody machine. Now I'm working on an old laptop, with good old Vista. Works fine!

I "upgraded" my computer from Vista to 8. The 'tile' interface is bloody stupid on a desktop PC.

Yeah, I also had problems after then going on to 8.1. Annoying cos Windows 8 on a phone is great.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-02-10 18:34:20
  • I think I'm going to like it once I've figured it out.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  •  I have Windows 8.1 on my PC but I installed "Classic Shell" (mentioned here - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001374.htm ) and it gave me back the Start menu as I felt like going Postal when I first got it .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Tempting, but I'm not messing with anything at this point.

Have you had any trouble saving documents to the Sky Drive? I lost an armpit load of valuable text last night. The documents actually remained, but without the additional text I'd saved over and again last night. Back to the old cut-and-paste-EVERYTHING-into-an-e-mail-message-to-myself method.
  • This might be one of my most cohesive rants, brace yourself. Browsing in the movie thread i saw Carpy's post about Under The Skin and was intrigued, after looking into it i decided i definitely wanted to check this movie out and was pleasantly surprised to find it was actually filmed up here. So i checked for screenings, grand total of 6 cinemas none of which i can afford to travel to are showing this movie. Now it does appear to be one of "those" movies, the small indie ones with the limited releases, so normally that would be fair enough HOWEVER just last week on the news there were political people piping about how Scottish film-making needs a big boost and they're gonna pump all this effort into it. Well that's great, i agree, but if you're not going to bloody show the movies made here in theaters up here how the fuck are we meant to support it!? I'm sick of movie theaters in general, way overpriced and there's always guaranteed to be a twat in the audience but i would have liked to check this out in a theater, looks like that's not gonna happen now because apparently it doesn't matter how much money or effort you pump into supporting local film-making, if it isn't a billion dollar shit tank action blockbuster no cinema chain is going to bother their arse with it.
  • ^ totally agree with you there rewak. the nearest cinema to me is an Odeon, god i hate it! they squeeze you in on seats that feel like concrete, and charge a bloody fortune. i think they assume the whole town is stupid as well and only play the really big films, 8 screens all playing the same friggin thing.
    an new arts cinema opened not far away last year and its so much nicer, comfy reclining seats, loads of leg room, tickets that usually cost less than odeon, and a good balance between popular films, art house, world cinema and classic film. i've been over loads, i don't ever want to go to an odeon cinema ever again.

btw.. if you get get the chance to see under the skin, do so. i loved it, i'd like to see it again as i feel i missed so much just trying to take it all in.
  • I live in Cardiff and we've more screens than I own pants and I still couldn't find anywhere showing it .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I might, might be able to go see it in the middle of the day at some point in the coming weeks, reducing the number of potential twats hopefully not to mention the cost. Alison though tweeted about it and said she found it disappointing.
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-03-22 04:59:12
  • ^ yes I saw that. Her disappointment disappoints me, haha. She said it wasn't what she wished for which makes me wonder what her expectations were. I know it's far removed from the book but she said she hadn't read that. Anyhow, I think it's one of those films that has divided opinion. It was obvious that half the cinema when I saw saw it either hated it or were bored by it. There was a guy near me who fell asleep and had a snore part way through haha :)
  • Am I the only one that has gone to see a movie and hated it the first time and loved it the second....or vice versa?
  • Oh no! Two that jump to mind are Blade Runner and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, hated both movies the first time i watched them but the second time something clicked and i loved them. I don't think i've loved a movie then hated it though, nothing springs to mind in that category.
  • Yep, I'd certainly expect a definite reaction either way with Under The Skin, rewak - a la mine & Alison's for example.

Quite a few folks I know have been so far and it's running at about 2/3 blown away and 1/3 blown a raspberry!

Still, I'd rather that than some bland, homogeneous, does nothing for anybody release.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Yeah, the only films that I really lost interest in (hate is a bit strong) are old movies that I had such great memories of and was shocked, once seeing them, again, wondering to myself, "what happened?".  Fantasia and Frankenstein come to mind.  I dread seeing Silent Movie, again, for that same reason.  At the time, it was the funniest movie I had every seen.  Literally, ROFL.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-03-22 17:28:30
  • I did manage to go see UTS (thoughts in the movie thread if you're interested) after finding a cheap bus into Edinburgh. Bizarrely it was actually cheaper to go out of my way with this bus and cinema than it would have been if it was showing locally! Buses need to have their fares reigned in because it should not cost more for a 15 minute journey than a 45 minute journey! I've had the damn score for the movie stuck in my head since, specifically this one track used later on with this beautiful warbling synth line in it. Props to Mica Levi for her work on it, very minimal but hugely memorable.
  • What's it with me and repressed men? Is it my fucking life's duty to help them out of the closet? This had better be the last time; it's really starting to wear on me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!