Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The Forum Soundtracking Your Sunday Afternoon.
  • 51 Comments sorted by
  • Wow!  That would be quite an undertaking.  I'll have to think about it.  It would be fun but quite an effort.

Hahaha!  We have very similar backgrounds in music, though I started with the Beatles, a little Elvis.  A smattering of T Rex, Stones, Bowie, The Doors, King Crimson.  I still remember my first concert was a band called "BloodRock".  That's about all I remember of them.  Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Art Garfunkel ("Breakaway"), ELO, Steve Miller (Sailor) and early Fleetwood Mac had a huge impact.  It's kinda interesting that I was really built for the digital age because I always hated to listen to a full album and seldom did so.  I would always choose particular songs that I adored and play them over and over.  You've got me going already, UT.  I'm definitely going to, at least, start a list and see where it goes.  Fun!

I think a new thread is a really good idea.  I mean, each post should be extravagantly long.
  • Yeah, first customer.
    Guess that makes us similar ages. I agree with you about digital music. So powerful, as in I can load this list as hyperlinks and sit on the couch and watch them on TV via an Apple link, but so limiting in that people generally do not commit to a whole, dare I say LP any more (They were 12"plastic things for anyone under 30). Still buy them whenever I can. I hung in there with a deck (a Linn Sondek LP12 for anyone in the know) and the vinyl, she seems to be making a comeback. Still the best way to hear your music.
    Listen to Hand of Doom WW. Some of the drumming on there is fab. Bill Ward no longer plays with Sabbath but his licks are second to none and his relationship with Geezer Butler on Bass was as tight as a ducks arse. And Toni Iommi on guitar! Awesome.
    Listen to those lyrics kids - Don't do drugs. They will fuck you up.
    As you can see, Sunday afternoons are a bit loud in the UT household!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-13 19:45:55
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh, how I wish I had grown up with playlists and digital music.  I could do without the vinyl, just for the sake of being terribly choosy about songs.  I can't imagine how long my playlist would be now.  Well, your music of a lifetime has given me a good start on the effort.  Who knows, maybe I'll actually, some day, attempt to download the bulk of them.  God, that's a lot of music
  • UT. The fact that you picked SOS made me smile. That'd feature in my alternative 'Soundtrack' list as it's the first single I bought with my own money.
    As I mentioned, so much of my selection in this thread is bound up in my life story but creating an alternative is quite easy. It would be rather long, however. I must find a way to slim it down.

• I have loved SOS for many years. Back in the day, I had a mate who liked ABBA. At that time, I thought he was a bit of a twat, but in later years, I began to appreciate the Swedish ( + 1 Norwegian) songbirds for what they were. SOS has always stood out for me though. It uses a Minimoog for the melody line and I just love Agnetha's vocal. 3.18 seconds of pop perfection.
    On a personal note, I have always been drawn to brunettes, then redheads ( my Mum's a redhead) and blondes last, but Agnetha? , she was hot; in fact, steaming. I would.
    Appy and I have a friend called Anna. She's an atypical Swedish girl, very similar to Agnetha in looks. She was a Sloggi model when she was younger. She makes men's tounges hang out!
    Oh, and my mate who liked Abba? Not so great after all as he liked the Nolans as well !
  • Oh, how I wish I had grown up with playlists and digital music.  I could do without the vinyl, just for the sake of being terribly choosy about songs.  I can't imagine how long my playlist would be now.  Well, your music of a lifetime has given me a good start on the effort.  Who knows, maybe I'll actually, some day, attempt to download the bulk of them.  God, that's a lot of music

Did you not have a tape player? Mix tapes!
  • Urban_Tribesman said:

I have loved SOS for many years. Back in the day, I had a mate who liked ABBA. At that time, I thought he was a bit of a twat, but in later years, I began to appreciate the Swedish ( + 1 Norwegian) songbirds for what they were. SOS has always stood out for me though. It uses a Minimoog for the melody line and I just love Agnetha's vocal. 3.18 seconds of pop perfection.
    On a personal note, I have always been drawn to brunettes, then redheads ( my Mum's a redhead) and blondes last, but Agnetha? , she was hot; in fact, steaming. I would.
    Appy and I have a friend called Anna. She's an atypical Swedish girl, very similar to Agnetha in looks. She was a Sloggi model when she was younger. She makes men's tounges hang out!
    Oh, and my mate who liked Abba? Not so great after all as he liked the Nolans as well !

Watched a great documentary the other day talking about the fact ABBA's best songs had an air of scandanavian meloncholy that no other pop music had which is why they have lasted longer than the pop of the time. 

I never liked the Bjorn sung pop numbers. He even admitted himself they were very manufactured for the pop market and he didn't really understand english well enough. Hence the crindge worthy lyrics. But mid period ones sung by the women (who were going through the most stress at being famous) were very heartfelt and so they are timeless. 

Stuff you still hear in the likes of Cardigans, Lykke, etc...  Both the girls vocals had a lovely sad tone. 

I when through a period of being a bit embarased about my love of them. But now i'm upfront about it. Knowing Me Knowing you is up there (in production and arrangement as well as the song) with any of my old time favourites!

Also Frida was always my fav. Blondes never did it for me, to busy having fun. I wanted to hang with the interesting, moody girls and they were always brunettes ;-) 
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-06-18 05:32:45
  • Did you not have a tape player? Mix tapes!

I did that!  But, even that was later in life than I would have preferred.  But, just not the same in a number of ways.  The random mixing of the playlists keeps it fresh.  The length of the playlist would make a tape about the size of a car.  They were an incredible amount of time sucked up.
  • Blondes never did it for me, to busy having fun. I wanted to hang with the interesting, moody girls and they were always brunettes ;-) 

Another member of the Brunette's club! I always thought about it like Milk Tray and Black Magic. Both fundementally the same but the Black Magic always seems to be that bit more exotic, more ... forbidden and dangerous. As you will have seen in other threads, my brunette yardstick is Emma Peel.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-18 14:27:39
  • Did you not have a tape player? Mix tapes!

I did that!  But, even that was later in life than I would have preferred.  But, just not the same in a number of ways.  The random mixing of the playlists keeps it fresh.  The length of the playlist would make a tape about the size of a car.  They were an incredible amount of time sucked up.

Essentially, is that not what this thread is, a modern day mix tape with 28 songs on it? The soundtrack of your life is the same, you put your picks up and bare your soul for the rest of us to sniff over.
  • ^Yeah, but my playlist is somewhere on the order of 2,000 songs....

It is so refreshing because there is not a one in that whole playlist that I don't adore listening to every time it comes on.  No crap songs.  And, by the way, in the past (and still true at this point, but barely),  how many crap songs were written just to fill an album/tape/CD?  Now that it's going on-line and you can publish/buy a single song, I really think it will break free the artists to put out their very best and, surely, only sell the very best.  There are so few artists that put out virtually no crap songs.  In my opinion, Goldfrapp and Sade.  That's about it.  Some are close, like the Beatles, but few really put out extraordinary tunes track by track.

There are just so many revolutions going on, right now, due to the web that it is staggering to ponder!
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-06-18 20:43:36
  • ^Yeah, but my playlist is somewhere on the order of 2,000 songs....

It is so refreshing because there is not a one in that whole playlist that I don't adore listening to every time it comes on.  No crap songs.  And, by the way, in the past (and still true at this point, but barely),  how many crap songs were written just to fill an album/tape/CD?  Now that it's going on-line and you can publish/buy a single song, I really think it will break free the artists to put out their very best and, surely, only sell the very best.  There are so few artists that put out virtually no crap songs.  In my opinion, Goldfrapp and Sade.  That's about it.  Some are close, like the Beatles, but few really put out extraordinary tunes track by track.

There are just so many revolutions going on, right now, due to the web that it is staggering to ponder!

I have 16000 songs on my ipod and i struggle to work out what to play half the time, and even then on random it's too easy to skip. Like when you have too many TV channels. Some music needs time to digest. I tend to put CDs on at home these days as it's quicker than scanning for artists on an ipod/mac. So without albums i'd be buggered. My playlists for the car / bike.

The other problem is there are many albums where I didn't like a few tracks when i first bought it. But then years later I realise those songs were quite good. If i have not bought them or deleted them I would have missed out on them.

I do edit stuff and make playlists, but they are yearly playlist's that change all the time. LIke a record of what i like at that moment. But I always keep the original albums. Suppose i will always be an album person. Bands that have just started releasing EP's/singles I think start to lose their musical direction and start to duplicate songs. If you make a body of songs you have to think about how they work together and create different moods, textures.

Also there are not many tracks I don't change my opinion of. My taste is always changing subtley every year. The list i did on this thread are some of the tracks i haven't fallen out of love with at some point. My relationship with music is very emotional, and is very love hate. So if i'm in teh wrong mood I selectively chose tracks form an artists I may miss out on something special.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-06-19 04:50:48
  • ^; There are so few artists that put out virtually no crap songs.  In my opinion, Goldfrapp and Sade.  That's about it.  Some are close, like the Beatles, but few really put out extraordinary tunes track by track.

Would you like to know my Sade story WW?
  • I have 16000 songs on my ipod and i struggle to work out what to play half the time, and even then on random it's too easy to .

16,000 songs? That's got to be an IPod Classic TM?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-19 15:03:53
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-19 15:02:14

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!