Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The Forum Soundtracking Your Sunday Afternoon.
  • 51 Comments sorted by
  • Be careful, HJ.  It's a little more work than it looks.  If you just paste the link, this durned board turns it into a video link, which would just gobble up miles of pages.  A smarter way than I did it (I just copied the link into "Insert Hyperlink" while having the link selected) would be to select the song and band name while inserting hyperlink.  The way I did it was probably a little less work since I had to select the link to copy it, then just left it selected while tapping "Insert Hyperlink".  Just not as elegant.
  • Man, I love everybody's selections!!! Fantastico! I'm just gonna put one youtube up, because I love it- dont think its the official video though-

http://youtu.be/xmCEJ5hY0W4
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-06-11 23:38:17
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ^ Yes, I was surprised to see Ping's list and she had, "Powderfinger" by the "Cowboy Junkies."
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• ^ do you like cowboy junkies banana?
    I always felt that cowboy junkies were great at doing covers, they seem to be able to really put their own stamp on the music and take it to a new place. A skill I think they share with the frapp.
  • ^ OMG I LOVE THE COWBOY JUNKIES, I never said anything though only once because I thought people would be like, ewwwwww. I love early Cowboy Junkies, like "The Caution Horses" Oh my it's something about Margo's voice. In songs like, "Witches," "You Will Be Loved Again." Love the album, "The Trinity Sessions" where it's just Margo a mic the boys playing in an old Trinity Church. The voice raw and very live, how about "Sweet Jane?"
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• ^My favs are "The Trinity Session" captured live at the Church of the Holy Trinity in Toronto, Canada on November 27, 1987. A Digital R-Dat Recording using only a Calrec Ambisonic Microphone. "The Caution Horses" is worth a listen also.
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• ELO / Here is the news

Respect!! 

I used to argue with my mate when I was 13 that Time was better than Out of The Blue and Discovery :-)
  • I'm surprised how similar the balance of style is over these selections. Wonder if thats their influence on our music choice or why we got into Frapp.

I was having a conversation with a friend, older than me and was a musical mentor as a child. He was a scooter boy and today his musical preferences all link to when he was young (teenager in late 70's). Like he picked a tribe when he was young and thats it for life. 

But most of my music fan peers (teenagers in the 80s) think nothing of playing ABBA next to My Bloody Valentine. I think this was down us growing up on the most crazy mix of musical styles and genres. Just watched the history of TOTP 1979 and the shows in those years were crazy mix of stuff. Average show Nolans > Skids > Chic > Madness > Mike Read (70's stand up comedian) > PIL! Because most modern music is a combination of past influences we are always looking forward.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-06-12 08:07:42
  • Ithink nothing of playing ABBA next to My Bloody Valentine

To me, that's the really great effect of playlists.  When I first started thinking of playlists, they were all according to some style or genre or mood or something.  But, the best playlist I have is just the best of everything all mashed together.  Keeps it fresh.
  • "Les Fleurs" - Minnie Riperton
    "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" - Kate Bush
    "Caramel" - John Grant
    "Wild is the Wind" - Nina Simone
    "I Fell in Love with a Dead Boy" - Antony & the Johnsons
    "Drawn to the Rhythm" - Sarah McLachlan
    "Viens, Mallika" - Leo Delibes (from The Hunger OST)
    "Saturday Morning" - Eels
    "Amazing" - Johnette Napolitano
    "Detroit 442" - Blondie
    "Losing True" - The Roches
    "Befreit" - Richard Strauss
    "Flowered Knife Shadows" - Harold Budd
    "But I'm Not" - Cocteau Twins
    "Chrome" - Debbie Harry
    "Tarantula" - This Mortal Coil
    "Stani Mi, Maytcho" - Bulgarian Voices
    "Black and Blue" - Chris Garneau
    "Vicki's Box" - Throwing Muses
    "Dreambeat" - Ghoul
    "Binoculars" - Fethcin' Bones
    "Little Death" - Shelleyan Orphan
    "The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove" - Dead Can Dance
    "The Healing Hymn" - The Shakers
    "Měsíčku na nebi hlubokém" - Dvorak
    "Beestung" - Kristin Hersh
    "My Life as a Ghost" - Tanya Donelly
    "Touching Once is So Hard to Keep" - Renaissance
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-06-12 15:52:40
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Thanks Sparky for the offering, I right clicked and now it's in my iPod. The song made me sit back and just stare out the window over at the fountain. I love it, Xanax for my ears/mind. The sound effects of the seagulls, birds chirping, and that sitar(sp?) strings all made me feel, makes me feel calm. xxxx
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• banana said:

Thanks Sparky for the offering, I right clicked and now it's in my iPod. The song made me sit back and just stare out the window over at the fountain. I love it, Xanax for my ears/mind. The sound effects of the seagulls, birds chirping, and that sitar(sp?) strings all made me feel, makes me feel calm. xxxx

Aww thanks Banana! It was a little musical echo of the hippy beach fires I used to sit round when I was little in Norfolk. Yes it's a sitar (I was going for a George Harrison vibe) and also Mrs Madrigal and Mother Mucca sharing a giggle and a joint from Tales of the City.

• Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-13 18:57:22
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Wow, UT, you really hit some old faves of mine there.  I didn't think anyone knew Curved Air!

I had to go look up the songs I used to love.  "Backstreet Luv" was one.  "Marie Antoinette" was another.

Gosh!  What a flashback.  Made me think of all these bands back from those days.  Like Stories, It's a Beautiful Day and QuickSilver Messenger Service.

There's one band from back then that I can't find a trace of.  They were called Medusa.  Part of the problem is that I can't even remember the name of a single song or album so, if you look up Medusa on Youtube, you get about at thousand pages.  Yikes!  Oh, man, this is even worse. Now I found Medusa.  It was an album called "Trapeze".  Still good sound!  But, the problem is that I had pictured a particular cover thinking it was Medusa.  It wasn't.  Crap.  Now, all I have is a picture in my head.  No name...nothing.  It was a picture of a woman in kind of Indian-looking (American, that is) clothes and a headband.  Tripped my brains out to that image one night.  The only weird thing is that I ran across a can of coffee in Japan that had the same image on it.  So, I guess I'll have to try to scan the image and put it into Google images and see what I find.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-06-13 19:47:04
  • Wow, UT, you really hit some old faves of mine there.  I didn't think anyone knew Curved Air!

Just call me retro UT !  Great fun digging through old tracks.  Could do this again next week and come up with something completley different.  I changed the hyperlink on Atomic Rooster as I played it onto the TV with Apple TV and did not realise I had linked to a live version, so have redone it to the original.
    Zombie is a great video.  Very powerful imagery and Delores is so cute when she is not covered in gold.  That video has been watched on YouTube 139 million times OMG !
    I PM'd Keith as his list crossed over with an idea I have been playing with for some months. If you like doing lists, I was working on the Soundtrack of your Life.  The premis is, if we were doing a biopic of your life, what music would be on the soundtrack?  The music would need to follow your life and contain music you remember and was popular/poigniant at certain times of your life.  Probably starting with the music you first remember.(or want to say you first remember ;) For me, for example, that would be 'Anyone who had a Heart' by Cilla Black and then probably move past the Beatles and the Stones, David Bowie/T Rex when I was at school and so on up to the present. Could have some interesting results.
    Keith was cool that it did not crash his idea but I have been thinking about it for months now so need a few more weeks to perfect my list.
    If anyone wants to go there, we can start a new thread to keep this one pure for your radio show !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-13 19:13:06
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!