Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp score Medea
  • 117 Comments sorted by
  • Iuv. If you sat through the von Trier version in the original Danish, you need a big medal. Euripides and old Danish = Total mindfuck.
    Mind you, Mrs UT & I (.........just waiting for PonyGurl..) went to see a film in London many years ago called 'Pathfinder' which was filmed in Sami (the original Lapp language for anyone who cares) . It was Academy Award nominated for best foreign language film of the year in 1988 and I remember it being breathtaking beautiful and the language quite compelling. This was in Leicester Square and the following day we went to the premier of Terminator 2, Judgement Day. Chalk and Cheese ! (Austrian Cheese that is).
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-29 16:37:50
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Went home to bed afterwards (it finished at 4:30pm!) but my head was still swimming from it all so I had to watch iron man 

Ha! awesome! :p
  • Is anyone going to the cinema screening that's supposed to be happening on the last showing of Medea? Its all gone very quiet on this so wondering if its worth it?? I'm only going for the music!
  • Is anyone going to the cinema screening that's supposed to be happening on the last showing of Medea? Its all gone very quiet on this so wondering if its worth it?? I'm only going for the music!

Don't go for the music... it's great but you won't really notice it all that much when you're there (unless you're actively listening for it... which you will, until about 10 minutes in when you completely forget about it).  Go for the amazing performance.  I'm not sure how well it'll translate over the big screen but I can't imagine it losing all that much... the story and the delivery of said story are incredible.  If you really are going just for the music then I wouldn't bother, it's a score, and as good as it is, it won't mean anything at all if you're not particularly interested in the play itself. 
  • My local film theatre isn't showing the live screening tomorrow but we're getting an encore screening on Saturday. That suits me fine.

I'm going :) All by myself...used to it though as have a cineworld unlimited card so got to get my monies worth somehow.  Looking forward to it

• They're showing this in my local cinema (Newbury Vue) but at £15 a ticket I'm going to pass... mostly because that's how much it cost me to see it in the actual theater! 
  • Whoo Hoo, the day has arrived. Getting very excited to see Medea tonight.
  • Glad you enjoyed. Saw others posting on twitter who gave thumbs-up.

So... was it a stage production broadcast live to cinemas? Did it feel like being in a theatre?
  • Yes it was broadcast live from the National Theatre to cinemas, and no it didn't really feel like being in a theatre - at least, it didn't to me. 

ETA that's odd cos I've been to opera screenings in the very same theatre, and they do feel like you're in an opera house/RAH at the proms. It's possible that music goers are more outward and into producing atmosphere than theatre goers, but I really don't know why the atmosphere is so different. It's not like Turandot is noticeably more cheerful and upbeat than Medea after all.

Partly this was for good reasons - you got close-ups which you don't get in a large theatre - and partly for wierd ones, like you had a comfy seat and could nibble popcorn daintily and sip wine.

McCrory was compelling and her performance did break through that fourth wall that is the screen.

The music - well, it worked in a functional sort of way as part of the performance. I would like to hear it without the distractions of writhing murdered brides or stilted tangoes going on, there were the occasional bars and riffs that sounded like they could go somewhere but then you were straight back in the play.
    Post edited by wild_corgi at 2014-09-04 17:19:20
  • really enjoyed medea, i've not been to one of those theatre/cinema things before. i agree with wild corgi that its not the same as been at the theatre as there is something of the atmosphere you miss, however i thought it was a pretty good alternative, as it is just not possible for myself and many others to get to the actual theatres to see many of these productions. i thought the editing was really good, at only one point did i think 'i wonder whats going on on that other part of the stage', and almost at that very moment the shot cut to one that showed that part of the stage so that was all good.
    i'd read some comments in reviews that the dancing was a bit distracting but i kinda enjoyed it, i know a lot of people seem to have a problem with 'modern dance' but i thought it worked. i liked that jerky movement they did.
    the performances were all immense, full of power and emotion and it looked exhausting for McCrory but she was incredible. if i hadn't been in a room full of strangers i would have had a little cry at the end.
    the music was at times sweeping and orchestral and at others pulsing, deep beats. i agree with carpy that there were moments in the music where you could hear 'goldfrapp' but it was no bad thing.
    the visual, auditory and emotional crescendo at the end was almost overwhelming.
    i was really impressed with the whole thing, its definitely encouraged me to look out for other of these live cinema broadcasts (i'm seeing streetcar in a couple of weeks so even more excited for that now)
  • coincidently they're talking about men and women who kill their children on women's hour right now.
  • There's rips of the live broadcast floating around for anyone interested :)
  • rewak said:

There's rips of the live broadcast floating around for anyone interested :)

Oooh, really? Any clues as to where an interested person may sneak a d/l or two?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • It's on PirateBay, and probably other torrent sites too, just search Medea NTLive 1080i and it should pop right up :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!