Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp score Medea
  • 117 Comments sorted by
  • Link to a review on the Telegraph

http://ow.ly/zr00e
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-22 12:54:10
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I notice, in that review, Alison's name is a link, but Will's isn't.
  • Inde review that's very complementary

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/medea-national-theatre-review-unforgettable-and-horribly-gripping-9621292.html

"..It's performed to the pulsing, out-kilter uncanniness of the score by
    Will Gregory and Alison Goldfrapp that gets right under your skin as it
    eloquently intensifies the atmosphere of the foreboding..."

• Ugh.  I'm so jealous of you Brits.  Not just because of Goldfrapp's score.  I wish I lived close to the National Theatre.  There's no other theatre company like them in the world, frankly.  The closest we come to in the US is Lincoln Center Theatre, but even they aren't as ambitious as the NT. 
  • ^So, HorseTearz, regretting that little 'incident' in Boston harbour 241 years ago are we? I am sure if you asked HM EII nicely, she would have you back. (Only kidding).
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-23 15:38:57
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-23 15:38:46
  • Ha.  I'm actually a Brit, but I'm a longtime US resident.
  • I went to see Medea yesterday afternoon, I was incredibly hungover and sleep deprived having been to Guilty Pleasures (a cheesy pop night for those who've never been!) the night before and not getting into be until gone 4am.  Bleurgh, anyway...

It was incredible.  I find the story fascinating anyway, I've not seen any adaptation of it before now so have nothing to compare it to, but it was brilliant.  I don't need to go into any detail on Helen McCrory, she was absolutely perfect to the point that it became difficult to separate her from the character, and now I may not be able to watch Harry Potter in the same way again ;) She made the show rather than the show making her. 

The music, which, was obviously brilliant, added to the darkness of the entire show, it managed to amplify the feelings I was already having, and really married the two sections of the stage (above is the wedding of Jason and Creusa, with the home of Medea below) 

I came out of the theatre really feeling like I was really fortunate to have been able to watch such a performance.  I know this is all a bit gushy, but I really was blown away.  

Went home to bed afterwards (it finished at 4:30pm!) but my head was still swimming from it all so I had to watch iron man to drain my head of all discussion points formed earlier in the afternoon! 

Post edited by VisualFallacy at 2014-07-28 04:56:10
  • ^ sounds brilliant. wish i could get to the theatre to see it but the cinema is better than not at all.
  • Sitting on the South Bank at the Riverfront restaurant about to tackle an Angus burger before going in to see Medea. Quite fresh in the riverfront breeze but pleasant after what seems like weeks of sticky hot weather. Will report on the theatre in due course.
  • Wow. To say Medea is intense is like saying Madonna is a crazy mixed up bitch!
    Beautifully staged and lit, the play brings the story of Medea into a sort of present day setting, even down to a scene with a photo being taken on a digital camera, while still retaining the cadence of a Greek tragedy.
    I would like to explore some more, particularly the role that the Sisters/women of Corinth play in the production, but do not want to open the door to plot spoilers for anyone planning to see the film transmission.
    The score is subtle and obviously Goldfrapp, and supports the play nicely, setting the mood for several scenes. The lighting is fantastic and the forest scene in particular is incredible, reminding me in parts of the Jo film.
    One question. What happened to Medea's escape on dragon pulled chariot?
  • Well, there's one spoiler out of the way.

Perhaps, this production strove to maintain a sense of realism. Neither the Pasolini and nor the von Trier ended fantastically with her cackling wickedly, like Maleficent, from her chariot. In the Pasolini, she burns in the house with her sons; in the von Trier she sails away in a boat. In those two most popular versions, or at  least the Pasolini, even her magic is relegated somewhat to folklore status. The dragon-pulled chariot would seem almost comical in film; I found it melodramatic at best on the page.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • No spoilers from me safe to say you'd need a good therapist to sort that lot out! Excellent presentation although somewhat difficult to concentrate due to the 5am start resulting in extended blinking if you know what I mean. You'll all love it dragon or not.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • iuventus said:

Well, there's one spoiler out of the way.

Perhaps, this production strove to maintain a sense of realism. Neither the Pasolini and nor the von Trier ended fantastically with her cackling wickedly, like Maleficent, from her chariot. In the Pasolini, she burns in the house with her sons; in the von Trier she sails away in a boat. In those two most popular versions, or at  least the Pasolini, even her magic is relegated somewhat to folklore status. The dragon-pulled chariot would seem almost comical in film; I found it melodramatic at best on the page.

You will be telling us about the Deus ex Machina plot device next !
  • Why would I when you just did?
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!