Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 248 Comments sorted by
  • Cheese UT....wakey wakey!!
  • KatRobin said:

Cheese UT....wakey wakey!!

I read the book about this once. Fascinating stuff applying massive magnetic fields to make a ship invisible but, instead, displacing it in space and time.  The film that was made was utter tripe though and did not follow the actual experiment at all.
    What do you mean cheesey? On point and insightful I thought
    >:)
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yes the film was pants. V dodgy 80s synthesiser naffness all through it too... I read the book too but it was pretty hard going cos the original "witness" guy rambled so incoherently. Do you think it's
    possible to make an object invisible? It sounds ok on paper...and Einstein had made some discoveries on it if I remember?
  • Basically, in theory, yes. We see because light particles are reflected back from an object to our eyes. A similar principle is used in RADAR in that radio waves are transmitted out and are reflected back by an object, such as a plane back to a receiver. In Stealth technology the material used on an object, such as a plane drastically reduces the amount of energy that it reflects, so that the radio waves from RADAR are not reflected back to the receiver. With light, however, if an object did not reflect light, you would still perceive it as there would be an absence of what would be behind it, so a sort of hole in the overall vistre if what you should be seeing. What you would need to do is to bend the light particles around an object so that what hit your eye was actually what was behind the object, not from the object itself. You may be able to do this with magnets which is what .i believe they were trying to achieve in the Philadelphia Experiment. If viable, it would probably deflect RADAR waves in the same way.
    Do you remember the invisible car in Die Another Day? The principle of that was that cameras on the far side of the car transmitted what they saw onto the near side of the car, so instead of the car, you saw what was behind it. I have also heard of inclined mirrors being used on battlefields to reflect back an image of the ground immediately in front of, say, a tank, so that to the naked eye, the tank is not visible. This would not work on RADAR though.
    What you need is mirrors to reflect the light, which are made of a stealth material,so as not to return the RADAR waves!
  • Very knowledgable UT thanks! I guess that's how David Copperfield made jumbo jets and things "disappear?"
  • European Union and Fourth Reich? Anybody remember the declassified "la maison rouge" report?

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-05-17 04:57:19
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I'm starting to doubt the existence of Santa Claus, but my parents, and any other adults I've approached about it, are being tight lipped on the issue. Any thoughts?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • The Appy's & the UT's took a trip to Roswell a couple of years back - now there's a conspiracy and a half! A bit of a giggle really listening to all the foil capped nutters banging on about UFOs!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

A bit of a giggle really listening to all the foil capped nutters banging on about UFOs!

That's part of the cover up. In fact, it's the conspiracy's strongest weapon besides the giant ray gun they confiscated from the crashed spaceship.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • KatRobin said:

Yes the film was pants. V dodgy 80s synthesiser naffness all through it too... I read the book too but it was pretty hard going cos the original "witness" guy rambled so incoherently. Do you think it's
    possible to make an object invisible? It sounds ok on paper...and Einstein had made some discoveries on it if I remember?

In the film, did the ship not re materialise at Pearl Harbour during the Japanese attack in December 1941 and single handily repulse the Japs, thus stopping the USA entering the war leading to a Nazi victory and thus German domination of Europe?
    Oh, hold on, the Germans do dominate Europe !
  • Don't remember....think I was nodding off before then. Back to your explanation of the science- if you buy the idea that a ship can be made to " disappear", it surely can't be possible to relocate it? I always thought the conspiracy was weak on this point- I mean the ship didn't reappear on land or up a tree!! I can taste the remake film already...!
  • I think they have a clapper to turn in on/off.
  • Here you go. The full story. The USS Eldridge was the ship concerned and it involved an initial experiment in Einstien's Unified Field Theory to induce invisibility, much along the lines we chatted about above by refracting light around an object by using massive electrical coils and extreme magnetism. It seems as though the experiment was successful but led to some unfortunate side effects such as teleporting the ship for some seconds from the dockside in Philadelphia to another dock in Norfolk, Virginia; a distance of approx. 200 miles.
    Allegedly, some of the crew re materialised partially fused inside bulkheads of the ship.
    The US Navy denied this experiment ever took place, so obviously it's just a conspiracy theory (even though there were several eye witnesses).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-18 11:52:21
  • For people interested in wild theories, I hope you are familiar with "Snopes", the urban legend killer.  It tells you if some email you just received has any substance to it.  Maybe a better description is the Wikipedia of Urban Legends.
  • I shall have a look at that WW. This thread is running outta steam a bit....is it that we are all too scared to admit to the theories we believe in , in case They Are Watching Us lol. Which of course we all know they are!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!