Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 248 Comments sorted by
  • Nothing's changed.  Too true.
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Why do we as a race insist on obsessing over the grim side of life instead of the positive? Seems like everyone's interested in pandemics and the end of the world. Which has happened a good 4 times inside the last decade.

• Maybe it's because we all have that death instinct that Freud talked about. Maybe we all, subconsciously at least, are moving into times when we are starting to recognise that the human's way of life in the developed world at least, isn't sustainable. Maybe we all have guilty consciences, even if some would deny it. Interesting how it's the Americans that obsess about End Times ( forgive me for generalising about a population, you know I don't mean Every American!). It's often the people who have the least, but who are most connected to the Earth environmentally, that are happiest and most spiritually advanced ( IMHO). I think the human race is self destructing because we recognise that we are destroying the planet. Others might say it's divine intervention. I'm rambling. Im going to depress myself by watching the news now before I ramble in another thread.
    The local news has an article about a huge auction in Lincolnshire of garden gnomes however....I kid you not. It's barking here. Which is why we are all so happy!! 8-}
  • KatRobin said:

Yes I remember that too UT- I even remember the name of the prophet, Fred Hoyle! Those were the days eh? ....mass paranoia....AIDS leaflets, Prepare Yourself For Nuclear War leaflets, the Thatcher Years lol!
    Nothing's changed.

Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher !!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Global warming v new Ice Age.
    You say potato, I say Po tar to, you say Tom ate o, I say Tomato, Potato, Po tar to, Tom ate o, Tomato,
    Let's call the whole thing off !
  • Actually, I say Solanum tuberosum and Solanum lycopersicum.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • You would ! (That's why we love you !)
    If I were dead, could I do this?

• Thatcher, Thatcher, milk snatcher !!

Oblig
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • My take on global warming is pretty scary.  The people on this planet that never want to get caught out saying something overblown are scientists.  Politicans, corporate employees just consider in part of the job.  Their word means nothing.  But, a scientist really doesn't want to be lambasted for being "out there".  It is soooo not the scientific way.  Make sure you cover your ass with reams of unassailable data. 

So, we have ultra-conservative scientists suggesting it's going to get pretty warm.  That makes me think that there is, at least a chance, that all of the suggestions, so far, which are beginning to get pretty dire are underestimates in the conservative scientific manner.  That scares me spitless.  Then, there's the things that the sicentists may not have taken completely into account.  Like the fact that about half of the oxygen generated in the world is from plankton in the ocean.  If the ocean adification were to destroy the plankton, we would be panting pretty hard just to get enough oxygen(about 10% rather than 20% of the air's content).

It would be nice to lead a life with my head in the sand.  In fact, it might be the best thing to do.  Just figure we're screwed, or near future generations are, and just have a good time.  I wish I could.  Worse than that, I haven't a clue what we could do about it quick enough for my comfort.  Just quit using oil and coal?  Not likely and not rational.  Find a way to draw CO2 out of the air?  That would be nice but I'm not holding my breath (no pun intended).  And, then, if you want to look at what a real cock-up we've done to this planet, be aware that, at the  same time, we are also causing pretty significant global cooling, as well.

Then, again, it could just be the media's obsession with spectacle.  Or, some people think too much.

Maybe we'll just get lucky or it's all overblown and it's not a big deal.  Just move a few cities away from the ocean and get a little hot and sweaty.
  • Ahhh, "group of people as borg-like collective" theory
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • iuventus said:

That should be your new avatar.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-16 17:38:21
  • LuDux said:

Ahhh, "group of people as borg-like collective" theory

Been there, done that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!