Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Quotes & Lyrics To Live By.......
  • 176 Comments sorted by
  • I particularly like the term 'nitwits' and 'fuck you very much' in the same post. A nice editorial balance WW.
    Ever thought about being a journalist?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Only whenever I quit smoking and need to snarl alot.  If it could really be effective like in "Ender's Game" (book, I doubt it was in the movie), I would be terribly tempted but I don't think I'm that dedicated to rearranging nitwits.  They're not worth it, right?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-05-22 20:59:29
  • Some people go further than just watching.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-05-23 20:45:15
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I like the thought about truth.  We are fed so much bullshit - day in and day out - by the media, especially the advertising ("everything is wonderful, so bloat yourself some more and find more things to spend money on"), that I believe it is becoming more and more difficult to distinguish the truth.  I'd say a clear head and an ability to discern the truth can overcome words any day of the week though, of course, much easier to just spew.

I was in restaurant last week (a very good Mexican one) and noticed a poster of American troops on the wall. They were dressed in desert fatigues and the caption read "America's Angels". If I had a black magic marker I would have added "of Death" to it. Seriously?!?! A fine attempt to Brainwash...but if anyone took the time to see the truth- we all know that War=Killing. War does not discriminate. Utter Bullshit.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-05-27 00:00:54
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Appy61 said:

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Ponygurl said:

I was in restaurant last week (a very good Mexican one) and noticed a poster of American troops on the wall. They were dressed in desert fatigues and the caption read "America's Angels". If I had a black magic marker I would have added "of Death" to it. Seriously?!?! A fine attempt to Brainwash...but if anyone took the time to see the truth- we all know that War=Killing. War does not discriminate. Utter Bullshit.

I've been having related conversations with numerous people for the past week or two--on line and in person. Most world cultures equate change and growth (often embodied in creation myth) with violence and war. It's built into our mythoi. Reflect on the tales of Ouranos & Saturnus, Saturnus & Zeus, Ishtar & Tammuz, etc.

The other night I watched Kubrick's 2001 on the big screen and got a bit teary eyed when I realized that the awareness of the capacity to do harm may well be the defining moment for the first moments of mankind.

I claim that it's built into our mythoi but not that we cannot evolve beyond (a belief in) the need for violence.

Post edited by iuventus at 2014-05-27 06:31:24
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I'd laugh if I were you!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Ponygurl said:

but if anyone took the time to see the truth

It sets you free.  It is so liberating that it is breathtaking.  I spend a lot of time seeking out the truth about my past.  How did I get where I am?  The idea that one should just accept and move on is so very wrong.  How does one move on when you have something that has happened to you that has bent you?  It's like getting a flat in your car and saying, "well, just move on".  It doesn't work.  I had so many screwy things happen in my past that they are hard to count.  But, I've been lucky enough to be given the time to scrutinize them all and find those breaks and recognize them for what they are.  Unbelievably liberating.  The toughest one to overcome seems to be the lack of a single guiding entity, whether it be a parent, grandparent, friend, whatever, it seems essential.  Rather than therapists, maybe being able to hire someone to care would be the best thing in the world.  Hahaha!  I can see it now.  They would make it a requirement to get a PhD in caring, which would completely futz it up.  But, you know what, those guys with PhDs would make a ton of money, even though they didn't have a clue.  They would make up some dumb-ass answer, no matter what, even if they didn't have an answer....and they would make their bucks. 

Ahhh, such a shame.  I was on such a nice, peaceful, zen level there at the beginning and I had to futz it all up by disparaging the horrible system that gets us doctors, dentists, and lawyers of no particular value.  Oh, yeah, and next is physical therapist, that will require a PhD to screw you up.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-05-27 05:37:47
  • I am a bit puzzled.  in the UK, we are brainwashed in that all you colonial cousins to a man (or woman) love and support your armed forces 100% and that anyone who does not is just a douchebag and part of the problem to be dealt with in the quest for the brave new world.

Refreshing to see that this is not the case.  We were watching the new series of 24 with Kiefer Sutherland as that all American hero Jack Bauer and set in London.  While we were waiting for some chirpy 'Cockneys' to turn up, and for a couple of Bobbies on bikes to ride by a London Routemaster bus and a red post box with the Queen behind posting a letter ( that is how you still see us, right?)  , we had a scene inside the American embassy where Jack was taking refuge inside a Comms room trying to upload some secret data on a file to the outside world.  Inside with him, he had at least 3 innocent hostages (American one supposes) and 6 US Marines were about to blow open the door and storm in and kill Jack in a spray of deadly gunfire.  The question I was left with was where did they think the hostages were and was their safety ever given any consideration or were they just designated as unfortunate collateral damage?  It does seem that overwhelming force is the main tactic of the American government.

By the way, if everyone listerned and did what Jack Bauer told them, the program would have to be called '12'

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-27 13:53:15
  • That's why I'm so excited with the web.  With the communications now being between individuals, not just the bullshit conditioning and propoganda machines of the governments and the bias of a few individuals (critics (whom I despise the whole middle-man concept of) come to mind), people will find, more and more, that all of the cock and bull beliefs they have been fed forever, no longer applies.
  • Is it not this very enlightenment with what goes on in the wider world, and what we as free individuals have, what led to the fall of the iron curtain (I'm such an old romantic) and is what China truly fears and why it continues to suppress freedom of speech and access to the internet for many of its citizens?
    It always cracks me up when you see pictures if the hardest line Muslim fundamentalist regimes that somewhere, in the background, will be a poster for Coke and Western rock music floating across the background.
    Has anyone thought of cutting off their Coke supply? ( and I am not talking class A drugs here).
  • One of my favorite signs I've ever seen was on a ride from Hong Kong to Shenzen where there was a sign showing hard-working Chinese people and the credit was something like "brought to you by the department of propoganda" in English.

I'm not so sure that the Chinese aren't just a little skeptical about the freedumb of the internet and I can't say as I disagree totally, either.  But, onto better matters....

There was once this monk that sat at this crossroads between towns (I may be repeating myself as I just love this story as it seems so true and teriibly insightful) and, one day, a man passed by.  He asked the monk what the people were like in the town to which he was heading.  The monk asked him what the people were like in the town he had just left and he responded that the people were very closed and not very friendly.  The monk told him that the people in the next town would be very siimilar.  Another man, headed in the same direction, asked the monk the same question.  When he responded to the monk's question that the people in the last town were just wonderful, helpful, and terribly friendly, the monk responded that he would proabably find the people in the next town to be about the same.

I guess it's sort of like a corollary to "the grass is greener on the other side".
  • I love stuff like this !
    You could also say that it proves the old saying that you get out of life what you are prepared to put in. If you approach people and expect the worse, then that is generally what you get, or, more importantly, what you think you get. If you approach people in a more friendly way with the thought that people may be friendly towards you then, again, that is what you may get, or think you get in response. Of course, in some places, we know they will just knock you to the ground and nick your wallet, but let's not be cynical !
    Perhaps we should adopt the approach of Theodore Roosevelt 'speak softly, but carry a big stick'!
    Feel all warm and fuzzy now.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-27 19:25:23

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!