Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • A little somewhere for all things classical & choral to have room to breathe.

I know, I know - this thread will probably sink like a stone but I'm looking for inspiration and you lot never fail to surprise me on what becomes popular on here so it was worth trying at least. I've only really been actively listening to classical for a few years. If I'm honest it never really did much for me in younger times. Still no idea what changed to spark it off?

Here's a list of the things that have grabbed me so far and I'm hoping either some of you may find things amongst it to do the same to you or, if you know your stuff, you might think of something else worth me, or others, trying.

Rachmaninov Piano Conerto No.2, Moderato
    Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, mvt.3
    Chopin Nocturn in B Flat Minor No.1 - Op 9
    Vivaldi - L'Estro Armonico, Op. 3
    Mozart - Requiem In D Minor (K 626): VIII Lacrimosa
    Verdi - Macbeth: Patria Oppressa! (Coro)
    Mozart - Serenade No 10 In B Flat Major K 361 III Adagio - 13 winds
    Rachmaninov - Prelude in C# Minor (performed by Nikolai Lugansky)
    Dvorak - Nocturne In B Major Op.40
    Bach - Cello Suite No. 5, Prelude - Rostropovich
    Grieg - Peer Gynt - Death of Ase
    Grieg - Funeral March in Memory of Rikard Nordraak

Oh and one final entry:-

Pretty much anything at all by the living master, Arvo Pärt.

Two to click on, should you wish:-

Mozart - Requien: Lacrimosa
    Karl Böhm / Sinfónica de Viena

Bach - Cello Suite No. 5, Prelude
    Rostropovich

Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-04 17:44:54
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • 139 Comments sorted by
  • Also a soupçon of Saint-Saens.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • eee eee eee eee ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh AHHHHHHHHH AHHHH AHHH!

Just practicing :)
  • That's one more reply than I expected! :))
  • I was brought up on classical (aswell as others) only trouble is when my sister played pieces on the piano for me I never knew what they were called, it was just beautiful music. It's a bit frustrating not knowing now.
  • Debussy - Claire de Lune is missing;
  • Debussy - Beau Soir!
  • A great post from iuventus in another thread a short time ago:-

I have the whole collection of Cello Suites by Rostrapovich on CD. As much as I love the dark and eerie, I have a tender spot for the light and inspiring. Hence, my favorite suite is the first, which echoes the Prelude in C for the Well-tempered Clavier (aka the Bach-Gounod "Ave Maria").

<blockquote rel="The_Carpathian"> Had never clicked with Bach much previously but am a sucker for a cello so this might be my route in to him.</blockquote>

Bach was such a prolific composer, and a technical genius, that there's plenty to love and plenty to hate.

The cello is like a lovely gentleman gently slipping into bed to cover you with his strong arms whilst you sleep...and dream of sheep.

There are some other super compositions for cello in small ensembles, most dearly the Brahms Trio for Piano, Clarinet, and Cello. The hauntingly beautiful Adagio

And the Schubert Trio for Piano, Violin, and Cello. Again eerie and alluring, the Andante con moto. You might recognize this from <i>The Hunger</i>.

Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-04 18:08:48
  • Lovely thread Carpy....this piece means a massive amount to me. Mum used to play this no music needed note perfect...bless her. I can barely get close.

Debussy - La Mer

Faure - Requiem

Post edited by Cervus at 2013-07-04 18:11:29
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Thanks, iuventus - always loved that in The Hunger but never knew what it was. Now I do - excellent!

Lacrimosa, as posted earlier was in the TV Hannibal, amongst plenty of other great choices......

• You might like this, Cervus.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

You might like this, Cervus.

Good grief I am going to have to check with my brother..., I am sure Mum used to play this too...its beautiful... :)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Thanks, iuventus - always loved that in The Hunger but never knew what it was. Now I do - excellent!

Thought still quite Romanitc, it's probably a little marchier than what you probably remember. They really lushed it up for The Hunger.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Cervus said:

Lovely thread Carpy....

Faure - Requiem

That's an absolute blinder - right on the money for my ear at the moment. Wow! :)
  • I don't know anything about classical music but I do know what I like when I hear it. Can never remember who did what. My dad is a Wagner fan %-( which is too heavy for me).
    I like Edward Elgars A Lark Ascending as just beautiful (sure he did it) and Faure's Requiem. There was a particular part they played in the last ever Inspector Morse and I just find it very emotional. Like being in heaven O:-)
  • Tavener - The Protecting Veil

Always wanted to learn the Oboe but after playing the flute since the age of ten the breathing was sooooo different I couldn't get a squeak out of it! Hehehe

Vivaldi - Oboe concerto in A minor

Post edited by Cervus at 2013-07-04 18:40:52

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!