If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Best. Scherzo. Ever.

• "Komm, süßer Tod..."

• Utterly American

• That image looks like a Thomas Kinkade X_X
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Here's hoping that Florence Price can one day receive the acknowledgement she missed in life. Some of her music, such as this piece, is reminiscent of Grofe's in style and technique, but she certainly has her own voice. It must have been frustrating being Black AND a woman in the music world.

• Pretty nice.  A bit slow for my taste, but nice.  She must have been one amazing person to have even attempted to become a composer at her time in history.  Kudos to her!!!  Very, very impressive.
  • Nice piece Iuv. I couldn't view the one you posted; probably another YouTube country issue, so I found it on my YT and have posted that version here for others. It has some nice river images which I assume are of the Mississippi.
    Like WW, a bit slow but very pleasant to listern to. I found it kept prompting me to think of other pieces in a similar vein; particularly Rimsky Korsakov and Scheherazade. Have posted that below as well.
    90 minutes of classical music today. Can't be bad!

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-04 08:57:24
  • Just watched the Summer concert from Vienna with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring Finlandia by Jean Sibelius and also segments from Grieg's Peer Gynt suite, particularly ' In the Hall of the Mountain King'.
    I remember over 40 years ago being required in a drama class at school to dance to this; not on my own ( wrong) but as a group ( still wrong).

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-05 16:18:31
  • Brilliant pieces, especially the Sibelius. I've had the good fortune to play them both.

Post edited by iuventus at 2015-07-05 16:45:40
  • Oh, not the best recording of Finlandia ^

Here's another fun piece by Sibelius. The first horn in the ending fanfare of the first movement sings like a ray of sunshine.

• Glad this thread has made a reappearance.
    One of my most favourite pieces is The Funeral March of Siegfried from Götterdämmerung, which is the last in the cycle of four operas in Wagner's The Ring of the Nibelungen. The title is the Germanic translation of the Norse legend of Ragnorök; when the Gods fight and destroy the world, leading to its eventual renewal following immersion in water.
    I remember this piece featuring heavily in the final scenes of John Boorman's brilliant film 'Excalibur'. The power and magnificence of the piece, with a scale that only Wagner could really deliver, setting the scene where Excalibur is returned to the Lady of the Lake beautifully. Loved this peice and that film ever since.

Some wonderful imagery in this video. Not from Excalibur, but if you have never seen the film, then do so, you won't regret it.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-05 18:48:32
  • Siegfried's horn call is fantastic.

• I'm not sure what impresses me the most; her lip and mouth technique or the way she has her hand thrust into the maw of that horn ! Nice acoustics but overloading the signal at times
  • A cross thread link from the Chain Play List an PG's posting of Black Swan by Tom Yorke.
    The Swan - Saint Saens. Cello played by Yo Yo Ma.
    Just a bit disturbed by what appears to be his cum face and the fact he is being conducted by Salman Rushdie!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-08-13 18:30:26

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!