Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • @Lisa That's hardly operatic singing. If your observations are correct, it's probably due to age/hormones or smoking than her teeth.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-06-29 16:07:32
    If I were dead, could I do this?

• Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-04 10:53:51
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • @Border_Mind As I've stated, you're totally missing my point. Perhaps, your perspective on life simply makes it an impossibility.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-06-29 16:09:40
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:02:41
  • Lisa said:

^ Yeah, but Minsku made a fair point in saying that she can't actually sing the opening of Utopia anymore.

I did notice that aswell at the last two gigs I saw them, and they are fairly operatic!

at the hackney gig they had a small choir singing too, so it was hard to say but i did feel they were taking the bulk of the 'operatic' style stuff. on sunday though she sounded great to me!

a few years ago alison was on 'womens hour' on radio 4, she said as she gets older she's finding the higher and lower stuff ok to do but the middle range she felt was changing. she also said her menstrual cycle affected her voice.
  • @Lisa We all have our biases. Nevertheless, age and the resulting change in hormones does affect one's vocal range. It's not a judgment; just natural physiology.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-06-29 16:11:31
  • ping said:

Mirror said:

sometimes its hard to see from the outside why someone doesn't like something about themselves, personally i didn't mind her teeth, but i guess if she was that self conscious and it made her feel better then its her decision to take.
    there's a little conversation about it on this forum here

edit: i meant they're talking about veneers affecting singing

Thank you for the connection Ping. 
    Most interesting. 
    Mirror thought dental veneers affected the singing voice. 
    Mirror recalls reading something about a soprano who's voice faultered after dental work. 
    Strange that Ms Goldfrapp would choose to give more importance to her visual image over her singing ability? 
    Mirror is given to understand that in life she is quite shy, so perhaps like so many women she is pressured into feeling insecure about her visual image. 
    Mirror questions the media and advertisings role in exploiting simple human frailties.
  • Mirror said:

ping said:

Mirror said:

Strange that Ms Goldfrapp would choose to give more importance to her visual image over her singing ability? 
    Mirror is given to understand that in life she is quite shy, so perhaps like so many women she is pressured into feeling insecure about her visual image. 
    Mirror questions the media and advertisings role in exploiting simple human frailties.

yep, i think that sort of pressure can really affect someone, those insecurities can run deep.
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:02:22

• Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-04 10:54:28
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Lisa said:

I think that is the sad reality of being a "public" woman, you do get judged a lot more by the way you look than

what you actually do..

true. 
    and once you get over the grand old age of 30 it gets tougher and tougher. there's often articles in the uk about a woman newsreader or presenter thats been sacked cause she's too old but her male counterpart is 20 or 30 years her senior and that's fine.

• Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-04 10:54:19
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:02:07
  • 'Perhaps' I have, we will never know

Thanks

Needless sarcasm. I'm not passing judgment. I was simply trying to establish some sort of balance with my comments, to which you kept replying, "But I'm negative."

• in fact going back to the age thing, its one of the aspects of alison i admire. she's an 'older' lady in a world full of teenagers. it can't be easy if you're looking around at others its almost impossible not to compare, and from a purely visual point of view none of look like we did when we were 18... haha
    but truely i think she looks A...MAZE..ING! 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!