Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 212 Comments sorted by
  • Regrettably, I’m not in Sri Lanka...but at least the suns out where I am at last!
  • That looks like a 'quote' that's gone wrong. Keep an eye out.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Now back home from Srl Lanka. Took over 500 pictures so I need to process before uploading onto Flickr and I will then post a link. Got Dakota back from the kennels and he is happy to be home and we are glad to have him back!
    Found a great charity while out there. It's called Embark and was set up 10 years ago to care for all the street dogs in Sri Lanka bad there are a lot. The locals feed enter ally feed them and it is common to see bowls of water and food outside of shops but Embark look after the ones that get injured and a,so has a neutering program for the males to stop a population explosion. They have shops that sell dog related stuff and proceeds go to this program. If you love dogs, have a look here:
    Twitter embarkLK

And this is Facebook. embarkLK

And this is their website. Embark
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-04-21 07:25:34
  • We visited the store in Galle and also the one in Colombo airport but they have stores in many places.
    They have three 'characters' that they use for promotion, Rozzy, Nico and Bandit. Most street dogs look like Rozzy, a smallish hound about the size of a whippet (but not as delicate) and are a paleish yellow.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-04-21 07:10:13
  • In that bottom picture, both the outside dogs are typical Rozzy's. Nico is depicted usually as a black dog with a white stripe. Bandit as a white dog with black patches.
  • So, on our last night in Colombo, we were invited to the British High Commission to take part in an intercontinental quiz night. 6 teams. Americans, Canadians, Australians, a couple of mixed team and us.
    8 rounds, mainly about capitals of the world, currencies around the world, stuff like that, all pretty skewed towards people who are in the diplomatic corp as they travel around the globe. By round 6, we were 2nd last.
    Then, they had a theme tune round and a name the cartoon character round, which is more up my street, and we moved into 4th.
    Last round. Shit or bust round. 10 questions in the style of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Answer question 1, 1 point, question 2, another point and so on. At any point after you had seen the question, you could drop out and bank your points. Get a question wrong, you were out and no points at all for that round. Well, got to question 8 and only 3 teams left, some Aussies and a combined American/Brit team and us. Question 9, the Aussies drop out. Just us and the combined Yanks/Brits. Get to question 10. What is the surname of Grace in the show Will and Grace? Adler. ( I could have named Will (Truman), Jack (McFarlane) and Karen (Walker), but the other team was ahead in points and so if they answered correctly they would win.
    We swapped papers to mark. They had no answer against question 10, just a squiggly line. We ask for clarification, 'have you dropped out'? They try to cheat (having now seen our answer on our sheet) and write 'Adler' on their paper. We object. Judge rules in our favour. They're disqualified and we WIN! 50 points. Boomshaka! Champions of the intercontinental Sri Lanka Embassies pub quiz challenge!

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2018-04-22 10:56:16
  • While we waited for things to start, we sat in the inner compound as it got dark, drinking. Near the equator, it goes dark between 6 and 6.30 all year round. Not like here, hour and a half of getting dark, over 10 minutes, light, then dark. Anyway, every night, as this happens, the birds all fly in one direction and in the other, the biggest bats you have ever seen. Scooby Doo sized bats. The size of Cats with big leathery wings, all going to roost in trees to eat the fruit. Hundreds of them crossing the sky overhead, with big, languid wing beats.
    Like being in a horror movie.
    Wonderful.
  • Sounds amazing. Bats are cute.
  • It is reassuring to know that in a lot of impoverished countries there are charities doing a great job for animals. My mum, when she was alive, used to support SPANA, a charity that supports working donkeys and other beasts of burden.
  • Bats!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I first saw fruitbats in India. The Indian guy with me didn't speak Welsh English, and said, "Look! Mammalbirds!" Of course.
  • Is that by any chance Lodz in Poland Turqs?
  • No, Kraków ;)

Łódź, PL

• Ah, I'm going to have to adjust your Goldfrapp location tag. Is Kraków home? You said about Orbital coming to town but they are going to Łódź.

Funny thing is, if you live in England, not in London, but perhaps in an area up to 50 miles away, people sometimes refer to London as 'Town', as in going to Town. There's a saying about shoes that stipulates a business man only wears back shoes when going to work in London and it is 'never wear brown in Town'
    There's also a cracking line in the comedy program You rang M'Lord. His Lordship's brother, the honourable Teddy Meldrum, is going to business in town and is being dressed by his Valet.
    Teddy: 'What about shoes.'
    Valet: 'Black Sir'
    Teddy: 'Really? I have some nice brown suede ones I've been dying to wear'
    Valet: 'We never wear brown in Town Sir, and suede shoes are looked on as being somewhat....effeminate!'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!