Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 129 Comments sorted by
  • Please come to England one day Whicky. I'd love to meet you for a cup of tea, and a good old chinwag.
  • A more genteel operator perhaps, one that does tailor made trips for the more affluent. Kuoni are nice.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I also hope that happens some day.  I cannot begin to tell you unlikely it seems at this juncture but it would be nice.  As long as it's not Earl Grey or Oolong.
  • It doesn't need to be unlikely at all...I think we are more alike than you think. It's like we come from the same pod!! X
  • And you will be pleased to know that I don't do Earl Grey. But I do like a nice English tea, PG tips (not THAT PG!) or Tetley. With a biscuit on the side.

• I had a scone and clotted cream with strawberry jam on a British Airways flight.  That was wonderful stuff.

I have a bunch of different Fortnum & Masons teas.  They are quite good.  I may even start drinking tea regularly soon.  But, I've said that before.
  • There is a particular hand expression in England involving first two fingers that is not the V for Victory.  It is rather rude and is unique to England.  There is a reason for that.  The long bow was one of the only weapons ever developed that could not be copied easily.  That's called a barrier to entry.  It took skill to produce the longbow and had to be learned from a very young age.  It continued to be an extremely important factor for over a century giving England a big advantage during the era of the Hundred Years War.  At the battle of Agincourt, the French Cavalry was saying that they would take the first two fingers, which were used to pull the string of the bow, of every one of the archers at the battle.  The archers, one of the first uses of commoners in war, replied by showing them their first two fingers.  The much smaller force of England succeeded completely in that battle.
  • Ahh so the next time i end up in a scuffle with someone and give them the two fingers I can say "I'm doing a bit of history teaching here!" as an excuse.
  • Well, if you do it anywhere but England, they would probably think it was a Victory sign.  In England, though, I think I would be ready to duck.
  • But if you go up to Derbyshire they say "You alright duck". And in the Midlands it's "Am ya alrite bab".

So I get called duck, bab, babe, kid wherever I choose to go. I haven't been called a wench yet but I'm waiting.

The one that I can't personally stand is 'How you doing our kid?'.

There' s a beautiful little town that was suggested on Facebook on UK breaks called Clovelly and it's in Devon. Stunning is not enough to describe it.
    Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-17 11:17:47

Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-17 11:20:56
  • Old water powered tram in Bridgnorth

Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-17 11:25:06

Bridgnorth train station in Shropshire

Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-17 11:27:02
  • Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire.

I've been to this cafe. Wait until you see the outside!

Post edited by serenity52 at 2018-03-17 11:41:06

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!