Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Goldfrapp at Glastonbury!
  • 163 Comments sorted by
  • She was really "into" that 'Lovely Head' performance, wasn't she?  Wonderfully theatrical down to the bow at the end.  I love sinister Goldfrapp.  Hope we get some more of that - no matter the musical style - in the future.  
  • they can't go too dark as far as i'm concerned.
  • I am glad there are others who appreciate the 'dark' Goldfrapp. Sometimes I mention this and get blank looks. One of the things I struggled with 7th Tree over was there were too many 'happy' songs. 'Happiness' just about summed it up for me; it was and I wasn't. On the flip side, 'Some People' was a beautiful piece; well measured and setting just that right blend of melody and the dark feel I like. I posted elsewhere that Winter Wonderland is a masterpiece of this craft; where Santa carries a flick knife and Rudolph controls the other Reindeer through intimidation ! Most of TOU treads this line.
    Who's going to start the definitive Goldfrapp dark mix tape?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Is there an audio rip of this anywhere yet?
  • Well, Urban_Tribesman, I'd argue that "Happiness", despite its title, is a rather subversive song and there's certainly some sinister qualities to it with lines like "Give us all your money..."  

But, there is something wonderfully double-double-toil-and-trouble about "Lovely Head".  I'd certainly love to get more of that type of darkness in the future.  
  • It's not just about the lyrics. There is something irrepressibly 'up' about that song. The guy bouncing around with the insidious grin on his face, it was just not Goldfrapp. Just my opinion but it is a track that
    I just skip over. Nothing against anyone else liking the song. It is Goldfrapp after all so miles better than most of the other crap,out there. Most of FM is dark, as is BC but then it started to get a bit more 'happy' for me, with a few welcome exceptions in SN and tracks like 'Some People' on 7T are colossal. Pleased to say TOU was a welcome return to the dark side for me. Pleasurable it is, young HorseTearz !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • thathurt said:

Id like a bit of evil too.

Let us never forget....you reap what you sow. I was attracted to her darkness as well, only because I wanted to understand it. There is a dark sensuality within some of her work. I think I prefer the word "vigilante" to "sinister" or "evil" though...her darkness reflecting the pain she has been through- because of her deep love. Does that make any sense? The depth of darkness equalled to that of her love. Psychologically speaking it is the same neurocircuits that process both deep emotions. Romantic love and hate. That thin line, it interests me.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Dark...light...two sides of one coin.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Well, Urban_Tribesman, I'd argue that "Happiness", despite its title, is a rather subversive song and there's certainly some sinister qualities to it with lines like "Give us all your money..."  

The Devil kills a kitten every time its played . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I think I still have my kazoo from the Happinesd song at a London gig I forget (south bank poss). That was a tiny smidgen too happy for me.
  • Hello there, could anybody upload the Goldfrapp Glastonbury set from 2014, please?
    I have visit my first Goldfrapp concert in Berlin last year and now i am bound. I am hearing Goldfrapp since Supernature. It`s a shame that there was only one gig in Germany with 1.500 places.
  • she didn't do the intro on the cinema event either...me thinks she may not be able to as easily anymore.... 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!