Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lifehacks- for home, health, personal care.
  • 95 Comments sorted by
  • It always comes down to people, right?  I think the accurate statement is "man has nothing to fear but man".  Sorry to hear it's wearing so thin.  I could make a list of the things that have helped me through such times but in  general soothing music is about the best I've ever found.  And, I don't mean elevator music.  Chill music is very good.  My choices for the next couple of days are good, also.  Really, to me, Chill music just takes the angst right out of me.  Classical is awful good for that, also.  As with any music, though, I just find I have to be so picky.  Isn't it a shame that humans cause all this angst?

So, what's your real question about charcoal?  Just whether anyone has tried it?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-01-07 08:37:42
  • Facials help.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I'm sorry to say this but I'm finding that more and more people are actually d*cks who just care about themselves and don't give much of a hoot about others. And it's a LOT of people now that just take take take but never give.
  • Oh mademoiselle Serene, I feel the same. I grew up with it, as my parents had NPD..narcissistic personality disorder. It's very real and very damaging if you're on the receiving end- almost makes you feel like a non-person at times. It's worse if you're a pleaser, because you find yourself doing more and more to receive love and recognition from them, only to find it doesn't help. I need alone time to detox from these kind of people, they're emotional vampires which can suck you dry..you must re-charge your battery. Soothing music, a good book of poetry, a walk in the wilderness all help me- I guess find what gives you peace. Find some escape, even if it's a sunset xo
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I know what you mean, Serenity.  It's nice if you can choose those you interact with but few people can do that.  Otherwise, I guess just choose those that you go out of your way to interact with.  People are strange, as the song says.  Of course, it may take some time to figure out those that aren't just takers.  Aaaarrrggghhhh!  But, takers annoy the shit out of me.  If I hadn't just put that here, I'd probably want to add it to the 'what annoys the shit out of you' thread.

But, on the charcoal front, I'm sorry I didn't look this up sooner.  Here is an example of what I found about charcoal 'activated' toothpaste.

"If you are ready to jump on the activated charcoal bandwagon or figure that giving the trend a try won't hurt, you might want to rethink that idea. While you might not notice any negative effects right away, the American Dental Association warns that activated charcoal is too abrasive and will wear away your tooth enamel. Once the enamel is gone, it's gone forever. The layer beneath, known as the dentin, becomes more visible. Dentin has a natural yellow tinge, meaning that you're likely to be left with teeth that look more yellow or stained than they did to begin with."

What they point out is another reason I like Hydrogen Peroxide so much.  It does not scrape the enamel at all.  With a reasonably soft toothbrush, there should be no worries on that front.  And, just remember, it's not the food in your mouth that wrecks things.  It's the anaerobic bacteria.  I doubt charcoal does much for eliminating any sort of bacteria. 

Any kind of toothpaste is going to rely, to some extent, on scraping - you can feel the grit in it.  Not hydrogen peroxide.

Oh, one other thing about Hydrogen Peroxide.  The normal percentage I find in the U.S. is 3%.  In England, it seems to usually be 9% and I must admit it seems a bit expensive in England.  I used the 9% and it seemed alright though, if I could have found it, I would have used 3%.  Probably just because I am used to it.

When you first start using it, it's like it explodes in your mouth.  That's just telling you that you have a lot of anaerobic bacteria in your mouth.  After you use it regularly (at least twice a day), it doesn't bubble up nearly as much.  First thing in the morning and last thing at night...

Sorry, got into my lecture mode.

If you are thinking about whitening your teeth (which seems to be another of the pitches for charcoal that doesn't seem to have much validity), there are plenty of other alternatives.  Like I said, hydrogen peroxide seems to whiten, also, and not unnaturally.  Of course, with me, it's pretty hard to tell, I drink coffee (usually decaff) all day long.

Honestly, I don't get the teeth whitening so much, unless you drink coffee or tea like a fish and smoke like a chimney, your teeth are probably just beautiful.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2018-01-07 21:30:59
  • Me and ma dawg are meditating together every night, I kid you not! I lie on my acupressure mat and pillow and do the deep breathing exercises, saying her name, Boooooooooo......on each long exhale. She loves it, it spaces her out. Bit annoying having your face licked off but she settles by the third breath and lays on my head. No pain, no gain. Try it Serenity.
  • Ok but I ain't boooooing. Might scare the actual ghosts away!!
  • Please upload a video!! We SO need to see this in action.
  • Not going to happen.
  • Lol was worth a try. You seem a little direct today?
  • Never.
  • Who, me?
  • As if
  • I'm probably being overly analytical again. I'm cold, tired and need to sleep.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!