Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • Low said:

Mirror said:

How can the singer or the band even grow as artists when everything they do is met with unfounded enthusiasm?

I'm sorry, but were you present at any point during the Head First era?

:))

My thoughts exactly!
  • ALSO after Felt Mountain some people weren't keen on Black Cherry. And actually when Supernature came out people weren't keen on that either. And then after Supernature with Seventh Tree, then after Seventh Tree with Head First...and now here with Tales of Us...which hasn't even been released yet.
  • Mirror said:
    Mirror said:

Nothing wrong with being happy - even Mirror smiles from time to time.

But it does get a bit weird: mindlessly adding smilies to everything, wetting ones underpants over something that is two seconds long, the dreadful "OMG" as Sartori said..

And as for group hugs...well, bad enough in real life, but virtual ones!?

Well I think that about sums up your intentions for me :>  >:)  :|  :-h

Here is a virtual **HUG** while I am at it.
  • Sartori said:

Yeah, fair enough Sartori. I did actually watch something on youtube a while ago, and thought it was OK, but that's not really how I get into music, I think the music we like is the music we like and can't be forced upon us. You do have a point about originality, I would maybe even go as far as to argue that's very little truly original music after about 1983 anyway??? Maybe that's a bit harsh, but it is a bit like what hasn't been done before, not that some plagiarism is always a bad thing,etc,etc

Perhaps my post was a smidgen to dismissive of Ms Grimes but the crux of it is the "Vive Le Difference" part (which I wrote in out of context) , Grimes voice is different and doesnt gel with me , if it did - then I`d listen to her music differently , totally .
     As for Al`s voice - this is what sets her music apart - if I was on the Apprentice I`d call it the USP (unique selling point) , All of Goldfrapps work is a product of a squillion influences and songs at the Nth degree but her USP is her voice , it carries you away and even during the HF stuff , it wasnt the lyrics , it wasnt her voice that I was disappointed with , it was the sounds - way to much of a smorgasbord....on reflection . But your point about "music we like is the music we like" is a concurring point I`ve also made before , I make no apologies that I like some Michael Buble at all , even if my head says "wtf" . 

.....but I`d like to share my comments from the previous board regarding HF , I could have sworn I said I didnt like it and left...........the facts are a bit different though ahem ...I think I sound a bit too fanboy....

1. I think its trying to hard to be an Abba album , trying to pander to people who like "Mamma Mia" (the film) can only end badly (ie Pierce Brosnan singing "Rocket" in the street etc) .

My point is that along with the 2 other quotes below , is that in some ways I had dismissed HF 100% back then but as I reflect on it , I know its the music and not Alisons voice . 

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-28 09:39:04
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

I have listened to the `pop artiste` known as "Grimes" , everything I heard has been done before and better.

I know! Totally! That babygirl-spankme-lollipop act hasn't been cute since Clare Grogan did it in the 80s.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Thats not real insightful guessing on my behalf there 

1. Getting my crystal balls out - the single is gonna die on its arse , its gotta be true , Derek Acorah also phoned me up and told me the same message from beyond its grave ... Im sorry but the excuses given sound a little like "my dog ate my homework" . ...anyway , its this close and no video out ? Incompetence is surely at its heighest levels since records were lost
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-28 08:31:09
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  •  I would maybe even go as far as to argue that's very little truly original music after about 1983 anyway???

What exactly happened in 1983?

/Chuck Berry reviews Sex Pistols, Talking Heads, Clash and many more
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • I stand by this in retrospect , a different view of it , mmm

1. Thats in terms of liking a song in the short term as a `catchy tune` but it fails as a `long term love` due to it obviousness - ie "on your bike , you cheap slag tune , I had my way with you , now get yourself a taxi , get out of my gaff" .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-28 08:29:47
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:06:41
  • LuDux said:

I would maybe even go as far as to argue that's very little truly original music after about 1983 anyway???

What exactly happened in 1983?

/Chuck Berry reviews Sex Pistols, Talking Heads, Clash and many more

Tennents Extra lager was released at 50p a pint promotional launch offer ....so I ask as well..."What exactly happened in 1983?"
  • folklore said:

ALSO after Felt Mountain some people weren't keen on Black Cherry. And actually when Supernature came out people weren't keen on that either. And then after Supernature with Seventh Tree, then after Seventh Tree with Head First...and now here with Tales of Us...which hasn't even been released yet.

True , in fact so true , Spandau Ballet should be here .
  • I'm not replying to anyone specific here; just a general observation:

Having been listening to pop/rock for over 40 years, it seems very apparent to me that the artistic steam which drives a songwriter or musician... almost always runs dry within 5 - 10 years. I have no idea why this is, but I will continue to appreciate their earlier work when the quality of their output fades. There are rare occasions when an artist can "bounce back" to original form, but this can take 10 years or more!

So I, for one, will always be a "fan", and remain hopeful that Goldfrapp will produce something of unique brilliance again... at some point.

• no Lisa, its not a dig at you. its a dig at people who present themselves as having massive egos. I don't think this is the case with yourself as you don't choose to 'talk down' to the rest of us.

what I find tiring is the dragging up of peoples opinions about an album released in 2010 and the delivery of that opinion in what you choose to class as 'fun'.

when I first found this board I lurked for a couple of years because there was a clique of posters who appeared to consider themselves as an intelligentsia and derided anyone who opposed them and their views. they weren't very nice, or particularly welcoming. however since I joined this board, for the music, I've made some good friends and met up with them at gigs. together we have celebrated goldfrapp. its a shared value.

I want to make it clear that I bear you, and your reflection, no ill will. if you choose not to see it that way, that is your choice, we are all adults here, aren't we?

by all means encourage people to widen their musical tastes, but cutting out their tongues to do it is ill advised.

:)

"its MY favourite song"
  • Um Mirror have you tried the Half man half biscuit fan board? Or maybe Morrisey?

I think Tanita Tikarams a bit below the belt.

are you Terry Hall?
  • thathurt said:

I think Tanita Tikarams a bit below the belt

(I heard E's good at deflecting)

It just reminded me this

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!