Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Spare Llama available for dinner party entertainment
  • 440 Comments sorted by

• It's funny but I don't like genres any longer and there are few bands that I can say I like anymore.  Just songs.  Only a very small handful of bands consistently put out songs that I like and, yet, I can find awesome songs in any genre.  

That is the very fine thing about being able to buy individual songs nowadays instead of CDs or albums.  The same is true of genres, I think.  I can find songs that I adore in just about any genre you can name but they are few and far between.  I am on a mission, nowadays, to find new songs that I like and I'm having to search far and wide to find them.  Can't say I've found a song by Lana Del Rey yet that knocks me over.

Can you give me some examples of indie/alternative music you like?  Would xx fall into that category.  I've found a couple of there's that I like.

• That sounds like a new thread, WW.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I have been appreciating Alt-J recently.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Hi Whick- ok so in no particular order here are some of the indie/alternative bands that I tune into:

Imagine Dragons
    London Grammar
    Bastille
    Muse
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Jam
    The Cure
    Florence & the machine
    Eurthymics (reckon I fudged the spelling there)
    Jake Bugg
    Blondie
    Coldplay
  • Having said the above i dont dig every song or every album. I think i gave a selective ear. The melody, sound and beats have to connect with me. I don't care too much for lyrics at times. Sometimes the sound and mood is enough to hold me in.

Haven't brought a CD in a decade!!
  • The older the Blonde Llamas the better!

Cocteau Llamas, Llamas Can Dance, Tanya Llamally, John "Alpaca" Grant, Antony & the Llamasons, Llamarut, Chris Llameau, Llamas, Happy Llamas, Llama Bush, Llámahann Llámahannsson, Llamette Napolitano, The Llama Bathers, Llama Orphan, The Llama in your House Wants to Sing, WhoMadeLlamas, Llama Budd, Kirsty MacLlama...
    Post edited by iuventus at 2017-09-17 17:03:39
  • Iuventus- only one I've know from your list is Kate Bush. Only because my parents like her music.

I personally love her song 'wuthering heights' with the video and 'babushka'. When you have studied withering Wuthering heights her song seems to fit it to a T.
  • How old is Debbie Harry now.

Personal favourite song is One way or another. Just love it. I know your number, your mother's number, your ex girlfriends number, where you live, even your FACEBOOK PASSWORD!!

I love their close unionship and how Debbie and Chris Stein have practically grown up together.

Go Debbie! Go Debbie! Rock on!
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Would you feel like listing a song or two for the first five bands, Serenity?  The rest of the bands I know well enough to find my way around.

There are so few bands that I like more than one or two songs.  So, what do you buy, if not CDs?
  • iuventus said:

The older the Blondie the better!

Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Tanya Donelly, John Grant, Antony & the Johnsons, Beirut, Chris Garneau, Eels, Happy Rhodes, Kate Bush, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Johnette Napolitano, The Bathers, Shelleyan Orphan, The Electricty in your House Wants to Sing, WhoMadeWho, Harold Budd, Kirsty MacColl...

Are John Grant and Kate Bush indie/alternative? Indie possibly by label only. Also the much missed Kirsty MacColl I would not have on that list.
    Coldplay are about as mainstream as you can get. I loved Parachutes and still play it now but they slowly went downhill after that IMHO.
    Blondie always were a great act and always will be.
    Big Muse fans in this house Serenity, but you all know there is a heavy rock stream in the UT household. Some hate Matt Bellemy's vocals and theatricality, but they are a tight unit and Chris, the bass player is s hard working boy, thundering out so many bass figures. He reminds me of Geezer Butler in Black Sabbath. Both play the bass more like a rhythm guitar which was exactly what Mr Butler was before converting to bass. You don't need another guitarist when the first one is Tony Iommi !
  • Never mind, WW.
  • London Grammer

• Muse

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!