Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • It's tough living an ethical, healthy lifestyle when many of the options are prohibitively more expensive or are generics made by the enemy under a friendlier name. I can't imagine being a working parent trying to manage a green household.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Celebrities are doing what they have trained to do: look/sound so pretty that people want to fuck them and say things they don't mean.
  • What's really been rubbing me up the wrong way of late is the current trend in the gay community (at least in the upper half of the UK) of everyone having beards - namely ones that cover the neck a.k.a neck beard - and are scruffy as all hell.  I really don't know who finds this look attractive, I know there are some, but what happened to the clean, classy look?
    Soon be nothing of this world.

• :|
  • :| - I gauge you are either annoyed that I stopped your posting-streak, or you have said beard in question...
    Post edited by Gaelen at 2017-06-01 07:22:43
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • I've always had Iuventus down as a John Grant looking kind of guy ( who loves cats) !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I wish!
  • The Church of England and the Catholic Church are at it again.

First, it turns out that George Carey, whilst the head of the Church of England, protected Bishop Peter Ball, who was guilty of multiple sexual assaults on children and young men. An independent report just published says, “The church appears to have been most interested in protecting itself.” Amongst other things, after Ball’s arrest in 1992, seven letters were sent to Carey raising concerns about Ball’s activities. Only one, which was the least
    damning, was passed to police. “The failure to pass six of the letters
    to police … must give rise to a perception of deliberate concealment,”
    the report said. In 1993, it reveals, Carey wrote to Ball’s brother (also a CoE Bishop!) Michael, saying: “I believe him to be basically innocent.”

Next, Catholic Cardinal George Pell is charged with multiple child rapes. Pell is said to be "one of Pope Francis' closest advisers". Things appear to be getting worse after the reforms of 2001. Last year, the Church released guidelines for its bishops telling them that it is "not necessarily" their duty to report accusations of clerical child abuse. In 2014, Pope Francis returned Mauro Inzoli to "a priestly state" after he had been defrocked for child abuse under Pope Benedict. The Church did not pass on its findings to the civil authorities, but a civil trial this year found Inzoli guilty of 8 sexual assaults. One cardinal, Caridnal Pinto, stood as a "cardinal friend" for Inzoli during the Church investigations and Pope Francis has subsequently given him authority over some clerical child abuse cases. Pope Francis is now said to be keen to "reform" some of the 2001 reforms that toughened Church procedures against priestly child abuse.

The Churches - and particularly the Catholic Church - have for decades acted as centres of organised child abuse. Time for the International Court of Human Rights to prosecute.     
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-06-29 09:56:18
  • Well, it is the RAAAAAAAAAAANTTTT! thread...
  • They should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for peddling their vile filth and abusing children just makes it so much worse.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • My question is..why is this always men? Don't get me wrong, the nuns may whack the shit out of you with a ruler if you disobey..but all this sexual abuse, it's men. Why??? I don't see this as a religion problem, I see it as a "man" problem. Why do you think men do this? Women certainly don't go around raping children, I'm trying to understand the male logic behind this.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-07-01 00:53:18
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

My question is..why is this always men? Don't get me wrong, the nuns may whack the shit out of you with a ruler if you disobey..but all this sexual abuse, it's men. Why??? I don't see this as a religion problem, I see it as a "man" problem. Why do you think men do this? Women certainly don't go around raping children, I'm trying to understand the male logic behind this.

It isn't only men who sexually abuse, of course. I've
    worked with several child survivors of s.a. by women, and a couple of
    female perpetrators, too. But it is mostly men.

Obviously, it's complicated. For some perpetrators it seems to be a way of expressing care and a need for intimacy which is highly distorted and conflicted by their own history and their inability to recognise or value or empathise.

Power and status is critical too. For women, status and self-esteem is perhaps bound up with their feeling of how connected they are to others - how many people look to them for support, and how many they can turn to get support? Whereas for men its much more about how many people look to them as a leader and how few people they need as sources of support? Trump is an interesting example - he clearly cannot tolerate any sense of vulnerability, a rapist "hiding in plain sight".

In abuse by clergy, the status of the priest (or whatever) must be an important part of it; the history and ideology of both Protestant and Catholic churches is obviously saturated with patriarchal privilege. Women aren't allowed to hold positions of power; there is an ethos that, as an ordinary lay person, you are dirty, sinful and deserve punishment, and that the priest stands in for the (male) god who can both judge, punish and forgive you. You are to offer your whole self up to him as a sacrifice etc.

The Catholic nun Elizabeth Johnson has written well about this - and been subject to hostile criticism from the Church hierarchy as a result. 

•  Never mind.  Just another monkey works of this site...
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-08-22 08:44:41
  • Ponygurl said:

My question is..why is this always men? Don't get me wrong, the nuns may whack the shit out of you with a ruler if you disobey..but all this sexual abuse, it's men. Why??? I don't see this as a religion problem, I see it as a "man" problem. Why do you think men do this? Women certainly don't go around raping children, I'm trying to understand the male logic behind this.

Honestly this makes me so sad but Jesus did say something along the lines of 'there will be those that say they know me, that speak My Name but i will say I do not know you. For they do nlt act in my name and are wolves in sheep's clothing'.

So what that's saying is unfortunately humankind is corrupt. But mark my words: They will face the wrath of God and be forced to explain their actions at the final judgement.

They are not serving in Gods name.

Yes I am aware of what nuns were like and i don't really get it either. Even some teachers back in the olden days would hit you with the cane.

I'm really really sorry to those of you who ever got hit by a came or book or other instrument
  • Well these men are serving as priests who automatically are further up the totem pole than the nuns. I know im going off on one here but people think that 'the devil' doesnt exist or is some imaginary figure in a red suit with horns. That's not how it works. It is a dark force that can penetrate the mind if you let it. Anyone of us is vulnerable but those who are supposed to be very close to God the Devil will hate. The Devil wants to destroy the church as Jesus said even the gates of hell will not prevail against the church. I also can stand those horror movies featuring demonic nuns. It disgusts me beyond repulse.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!