Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • Selfie sticks. I just don't get it. I've just taken over 700 photos in the USA and I'm not in one of them. I don't need to have my phizog grinning up inanely in front of some landmark or attraction to prove to other people I've been there. I see a selfie stick and I just want to beat some sense into the user with it. They should be renamed self obsessed sticks !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • But a giraffe in front of the Golden Gate Bridge would just be brilliant.
  • We were on a catamaran so Giraffes were in short supply. This could promote a discussion about Photoshop and how it is used inappropriately at times to over manipulate photographs. At a photo club, we once had a presentation from a guy about how he manipulated his photographs, replacing the Sky, sometimes the foreground, even shopping in a Highland cow on one occasion where one had not been present when the photo was taken. Poos schmuck still thought he had actually taken a photo; even bragged about winning photo completions with his Frankenstien creations. In my opinion, photos are of the moment, the capture of a brief instant of time. No problem with a bit of PShop to enhance what was their, much like you would dodge and burn with a negative, but replacing the sky or bringing in elements that were not there? Cheating !
  • See? No Giraffes !

• He'd drown. 

Personally, I have zero use for photos.  They don't capture the moment for me.  Only my memory can do that.
  • I agree with you UT. I don't see any harm in using filters or adjusting colour effects on a photo to enhance it, but changing the actual content is just a lie. I've never been airbrushed to perfection lol....hence why I don't let anyone near me with a camera!!! ( in fact I'm not even sure what a hairbrush is either).
  • Oh bugger! Who left that gate open?

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-05-01 06:02:54
  • Is this turning into the llama sister thread?
  • Before anyone asks, she has long legs !
    On the subject of PShop, the story went like this.
    Appy and I joined a photo club a couple of years ago. We thought it would be beardy blokes (or women) musing over their Nikons, comparing how long their lenses were, examining each other's extension bellows and discussing tips and tricks about taking better photos. You know, improving your technique. Instead, what we got was endless show and tells about photos people had taken, where they were lined up for a 'guest' to critique and chose a winner. Highly competitive. One night, a guy turned up with his own photos and took us through about 30 of his completion winners and how he had produced them in PShop. One was of a river bank. First, he didn't like the Sky in the photo, so he 'Shopped' in a new, more exciting one from a previous photo he had taken. He then completely altered the bank of the river, putting in additional plants to jazz up what was a bit boring in the photo. His pièce de résistance was a Shopping in a boat onto the river that was not there originally. He then tiedied up, stood back and admired his 'photo' and submitted it into another competition.
    In another meadow/pasture view, he Shopped in a Highland cow to give that more 'focus'.
    Now, you can call that art, but is has moved away from being a true photo in my opinion. A photo is the capture of a moment in time, as I mentioned above in my opinion. Running it through Photoshop to even out levels, change colour temperature, adjust brightness and contrast etc is fine as it is making the best of what you had but seriously, shopping in things that were not there? You have moved it from being a photo to being art.
    In his case, it was fart !
  • Hmmm...like the paradox of the Greek ship, no?
  • Why, was their a lot of farting on the Argo?
  • KatRobin said:

Hmmm...like the paradox of the Greek ship, no?

BTW, this post sounds like it was delivered by a Meerkat !
  • Oh bugger! Who left that gate open?

I must have been below decks UT was Gerald riding the two Porpoise?
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • If there is a symptom that something wrong with the world of humanity, it is people sticking their nose into other people's business,  And, yet, that's still is not the cause, just another effect.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!