Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • UK guys and gals - is anybody else here totally stumped as to what's behind the cult following of a certain draconian Jacob Rees-Mogg?

  • ^My guess is - partly - desperation. During the election, May was exposed as ineffective and weak and out-of touch. So the Tory media has to promote someone as the anti-PC, principled embodiment of common sense in opposition to those commies and PC nutcases. Their erstwhile darlings, Farage and Boris have gone off piste - Farage sliming his way over the channel to boost his European neofascist allies (oh the irony). Now that he has actually got to do something, Boris he is being shown up as the scheming, careerist non-entity he always was. The vile Rees-Mogg is next in line.
  • whispered said:

    ^My guess is - partly - desperation. During the election, May was exposed as ineffective and weak and out-of touch. So the Tory media has to promote someone as the anti-PC, principled embodiment of common sense in opposition to those commies and PC nutcases. Their erstwhile darlings, Farage and Boris have gone off piste - Farage sliming his way over the channel to boost his European neofascist allies (oh the irony). Now that he has actually got to do something, Boris he is being shown up as the scheming, careerist non-entity he always was. The vile Rees-Mogg is next in line.



    That was honestly a much better and elaborative answer than I was expecting  :P Makes a lot of sense though. He's the figure the Tories and upper-middle classes long for. Upholds conservative values, hasn't been involved in any scandals, and look! He uses Instagram too! He has a sense of humour?! That's just too much to handle!

    It solves the question of why he's popular amongst those types of people. However, the question of why those types of people still exist today, and in such large numbers, is the most baffling and uncomfortable thought of all. I mean the man wears a top hat for Christ's sake. A non-ironic, fully-fledged top hat. And he's considered "a legend". I really don't know about anyone else but where I'm from, if people went round dawning a top hat in the year of our lord 2017, they would probably get the sh*t kicked out of them.

  • Just another out of touch Tory that hates foreigners!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Well, here's a turn up for the books. I am sure I have mentioned elsewhere that I think Morrisey is an obnoxious arsehole, but I actually like his new single 'I spent the day in bed' . I think it may have something to do with the lyrical content. At one point, he sings:
    Stop watching the news
    Because the news contrives to frighten you
    To make you feel small and alone
    To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

    I think he has a valid point and the content is a metaphor for our current society and many of its ugly problems. The news (and newspapers) no longer reports the news but gives you opinion disguised as news. It puts forward political agendas which huge swathes of our society swallow hook, line and sinker. A typical example is that all foreigners and lazy, deceitful, terrorists who sponge off our societies with handouts and that the answer to this is to come out of Europe and pull up the draw bridge (in another country, build a fuck off wall on the border with your neighbour). it has people like my Mum scared to step outside and to worry endlessly when I say I am going to London or, heaven bid, abroad. It robs people of their freedom.
    Always take what you read or hear in the media with a pinch of salt and run it through your own common sense filters before coming to your own conclusions.
    Who would have thought it, me and Morrisey on the same page. Shows that nothing is set in concrete.


    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-10-04 19:14:00
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Yep. Me and my daughter were discussing Morrissey in the same terms the other day. I tried to read his autobiography and failed to finish it as he a) cannot write b) is obnoxious and narcissistic c) has nothing interesting to say.

    Yet somehow, in lyric form, he is transformed into a minor genius.
  • whispered said:

    Yep. Me and my daughter were discussing Morrissey in the same terms the other day. I tried to read his autobiography and failed to finish it as he a) cannot write b) is obnoxious and narcissistic c) has nothing interesting to say.

    Yet somehow, in lyric form, he is transformed into a minor genius.

    So true Whisp. Glad we are also hanging off the same hook. I have a big beef at the moment about how petty and paper thin the World's ruling elite are. There is not one Statesman amongst them. Should the Tories ditch May? And replace her with who? Boris? Public school Horray Henry and Buffoon. Rees Mogg? Ugh! I am sure in an earlier incarnation, he seeked out and burnt witches. Gove? @KatRobin would become an overnight Ninja and kill him at the first opportunity. It seems and endless shitstorm of people not up to the job.
    Realising that the press is manipulating what is seen and read to direct public opinion is the first step in taking back control. The plot of the Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies with media mogul Elliot Carver manipulating the media has become so true, just read Murdoch for Carver!
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-10-06 08:33:04
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Low said:

    UK guys and gals - is anybody else here totally stumped as to what's behind the cult following of a certain draconian Jacob Rees-Mogg?



    No automatic alt text available.
  • Hmm...an overnight ninja eh? Oddly, one of my soon-to- be new work colleagues met me for the first time on Friday and described me as "Zen". Lol. I exude calmness and gentility in public ( but at home this weekend I'm a tetchy rot-witch, pricklier than a cactus shaped pincushion and bouncier than a flea on a frog on a trampoline). Yup...I start a new job tomorrow! At 7.30 am, running a Nurture group for half a dozen emotionally challenged youngsters. Emotionally fraught? Well get on fine lol. ( gotta remember ...
    zen, not SEN).
  • Love the above by the way. I commented ages ago that Mogg looks like Where's Wally. I see Gove was trying on a halo for size the other day by defending elephants. How nice.
  • So are you still doing supply teaching Kat? A nurture group for teenagers? I've heard of nurture groups but only for nursery children.

    Believe me i think I'd be the one who needs nurturing after a week with SEN kids. I would be expected Prosecco on standby!!! :-))
  • Nah, this is for the diddy people. I've got the job via a supply agency and it runs until Christmas contractually but I very much hope it then gets extended. I intend to give it everything and my new TA seems very likeable and excited about it. It's in a mainstream primary but a couple of kids are on the Autistic spectrum. This morning I've been making an under the sea paper plate porthole to show the kids, they'll be making one on Friday!
  • Oh I see. So your going back to work in a primary school? Aww that sounds really cute. Well if your place is recruiting anymore staff give me a bell. Although I may have to live in a garage or something to get to work!!

  • KatRobin said:

    Nah, this is for the diddy people. I've got the job via a supply agency and it runs until Christmas contractually but I very much hope it then gets extended. I intend to give it everything and my new TA seems very likeable and excited about it. It's in a mainstream primary but a couple of kids are on the Autistic spectrum. This morning I've been making an under the sea paper plate porthole to show the kids, they'll be making one on Friday!



    That's great, Kat. Getting nurture and self-esteem groups running in primary schools was always one of my pet projects - I tried to find an excuse to do them in nearly every job I had! Brilliant fun and such a lovely age. Surely it will be more rewarding than your last situation? Good luck! x
    Post edited by whispered at 2017-10-08 10:00:11
  • Thats why I'm trying so hard to get back into a primary school too. I just love working with the little ones!