Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • Joey said:

Slant is more obnoxious than Pitchfork, if that's even possible. "Tales of Us" got a similarly tepid review from them.

Agreed. More often than not when I see a ridiculous review, it's from Slant. Which is hilarious considering they don't really have the right to be that obnoxious?

• They lost me at "disco-house"
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...

She's obviously not heard any Goldfrapp then. Suggests she starts with Deer Stop
    ( bottle in a shell) !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

• Gaelen said:

Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...

She's obviously not heard any Goldfrapp then. Suggests she starts with Deer Stop
    ( bottle in a shell) !

Music critics are a bit odd anyway, surely they don't hold much to a global opinion more than you or I do on this forum, as it's just an opinion?  If it were Brian Eno, Trevor Horn, Stuart Price or some other well known & liked producer it'd have some sort of actual meaning as they have proved their musical talent, but some dafty on a blog page?
  • They added the lyrics for Systemagic in lyrics section on the website !!! :D

For Ocean too :) I'm so excited :)

SYSTEMAGIC

LUNA LIGHT YOU’RE THE SPELL

COVEN UP LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE

TAKE A RIDE LIGHT THE SKY

MAKE IT BURN LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE           

SYSTEMAGIC MAGIC

BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

TAKE A RIDE LIGHT THE SKY

MAKE IT BURN LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE

WANING MOON IN PLUTONIC DREAMS

YOU’RE MY KINDA BLING MY ALIBI 

SYSTEMAGIC MAGIC

BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

MIRROR MIRROR BUILD THE FIRE HIGH

MIRROR MIRROR BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

Post edited by Julex at 2017-03-10 09:16:00
  • Perhaps this is a hint at the singles? Systemagic, Ocean and Anymore would be the absolute BEST choices for singles and recipients of music videos (though I hope this era gets more than three!). Not sure why else they would share Systemagic's lyrics so early. Also, having heard the one minute snippet of the song, it seems the lyrics end rather abruptly considering the track length itself. Perhaps another complete chorus at the end? Hope so.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-10 13:00:29
  • Just 3 more weeks

• Something about these 2 songs (Anymore & Ocean) don't have the longevity I'd want them too... this is the first time I'm experiencing this with Goldfrapp songs :( . Mind you, like you guys, I'm a HUGE fan (surprised I don't have a Goldfrapp tattoo). Like most of us, I'm beyond happy, get chills, etc everytime I hear a new song from them, but so far with these 2 songs after a day or so of listening to them I almost can't stand listening to them (especially Anymore)... basically the opposite of growing on me :( . I really hope some of the other tracks on the album I can bear to listen to forever on repeat lol :/ 
    Post edited by ryanraymedina at 2017-03-10 17:13:56
  • I'm finding they're growers, not show-ers for me. They need a bit of space to get into properly. I felt that way with the clips as well. I do find her voice low in the mix in places, but I guess that's always an issue when mixing electronics. It's really nice to have the proper lyrics.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Huge fan here as well ryan.
    'Anymore' was instant love .. 'Ocean' took 5 listens (and now i love it).
    But i'm sure 'Systemagic' is gonna be my favo track -having heard the snippet- ;).
    That's 3 tracks i already like now ..  ('Head First' only had 2 good tracks for me so it doesn't get any worse).
    Really looking forward to this album.
    Post edited by react010 at 2017-03-11 00:39:59
  • Took me listening to Anymore while getting the train into town/Edinburgh and walking around a bit with it playing before I really got it.  Not had that opportunity with Ocean yet but i'm sure it would be the same.  

Having said that, I don't necessarily think these particular songs will be ones that I constantly play anyway, like any album you have your own favourites, and musically, singles don't always cut it as they are more focussed on commercial & charts success.  I agree that Systemagic seems to have a lot of potential, but i'm still most curious about Faux Suede Drifter as I am more of a Let It Take You man myself  
    ~O)
  • I know what you mean about them not being as instantaneous but maybe that's not a bad thing. At this point in Goldfrapp career, a shake up in their sound and formula is very welcomed. They're obviously doing things a little differently this time around (Alison responsible for artwork, no single artwork, no Goldfrapp logo, working with new producers etc) so a tweak in their sound is only natural. Reserving all my judgement until March 31st though.

• Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-03-11 04:50:40
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Love that 'plutonic dreams'.  Interesting lyrics altogether.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!