Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Silver Eye (main album thread)
  • 1576 Comments sorted by
  • If she hated it that much, why give it three stars.. just go for one

She probably liked that new awful Lorde song *rolls eyes* 
  • The most ignorant, petty and self-servicing music review I have read in recent memory, and I'm a writer / reviewer myself. A textbook example of how not to do it, and it has nothing to do with whether they liked the album or not, I can assure you guys.

When you review something professionally, you don't turn it into something malicious. You approach it as a civilized adult with an unbiased perspective to convey the same sensations the average listener would experience. Otherwise, it alienates and creates tension right out of the gate, leaving some unwilling to give it a listen themselves. The goal is to leave it open for them to decide. A review is your own "opinion" or take on something, true, but there's a precise art to it, as it is intended to present a piece of work to readers approaching it on a neutral basis themselves. Otherwise, it's an opinion piece similar to a letter to the editor. If you have criticisms, then great! Point them out, but you do so in a neutral manner that intelligently gets the point across. I can't believe this even got published. That bit at the end about metamorphosis was just pathetic. It is clear to me that this reviewer only cared about churning out a high-school-level "glob" (as they put it so eloquently) of text - only fitting to print and wipe one's arse with - in order to reach a deadline. I believe at times this person made some valid (neutral) observations, but they have much to learn.

Sorry, rant over. Not going to go on and on about this, as it riles me up too much since there are thousands of capable professional writers out there who would kill to have a proper review of the album published, regardless whether they enjoyed the album or not.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-09 12:06:14
  • Gaelen said:

"Bloody cock-wombles..." "Mmhmm, quite right."

I would pay large coin to hear Alison say "Cock Wombles" !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Slippage said:

The most ignorant, petty and self-servicing music review I have read in recent memory, and I'm a writer / reviewer myself. A textbook example of how not to do it, and it has nothing to do with whether they liked the album or not, I can assure you guys.

When you review something professionally, you don't turn it into something malicious. You approach it as a civilized adult with an unbiased perspective to convey the same sensations the average listener would experience. Otherwise, it alienates and creates tension right out of the gate, leaving some unwilling to give it a listen themselves. The goal is to leave it open for them to decide. A review is your own "opinion" or take on something, true, but there's a precise art to it, as it is intended to present a piece of work to readers approaching it on a neutral basis themselves. Otherwise, it's an opinion piece similar to a letter to the editor. If you have criticisms, then great! Point them out, but you do so in a neutral manner that intelligently gets the point across. I can't believe this even got published. That bit at the end about metamorphosis was just pathetic. It is clear to me that this reviewer only cared about churning out a high-school-level "glob" (as they put it so eloquently) of text - only fitting to print and wipe one's arse with - in order to reach a deadline. I believe at times this person made some valid (neutral) observations, but they have much to learn.

Sorry, rant over. Not going to go on and on about this, as it riles me up too much since there are thousands of capable professional writers out there who would kill to have a proper review of the album published, regardless whether they enjoyed the album or not.

@Slippage, I know you don't want to get annoyed but take a look at this one I found earlier for the new album from "The Shins". Everyone else on Metacritic gave it 80 and they have it a 20. Scathing isn't even the word for it. It's the height of unprofessionalism. 

• Stupid is the word for that review, really! It's clear that some writers in the business have yet to find their calling... or common sense, really. Oh well, at least I can find solace within the TRON-esque explosive beats of "Ocean"!
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-09 15:11:11
  • Slant is more obnoxious than Pitchfork, if that's even possible. "Tales of Us" got a similarly tepid review from them.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Joey said:

Slant is more obnoxious than Pitchfork, if that's even possible. "Tales of Us" got a similarly tepid review from them.

Agreed. More often than not when I see a ridiculous review, it's from Slant. Which is hilarious considering they don't really have the right to be that obnoxious?

• They lost me at "disco-house"
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Gaelen said:

Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...

She's obviously not heard any Goldfrapp then. Suggests she starts with Deer Stop
    ( bottle in a shell) !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

• Gaelen said:

Had to laugh at the "incomprehensible lyrics" bit, though.  She's obviously not heard 'Eat Yourself'...

She's obviously not heard any Goldfrapp then. Suggests she starts with Deer Stop
    ( bottle in a shell) !

Music critics are a bit odd anyway, surely they don't hold much to a global opinion more than you or I do on this forum, as it's just an opinion?  If it were Brian Eno, Trevor Horn, Stuart Price or some other well known & liked producer it'd have some sort of actual meaning as they have proved their musical talent, but some dafty on a blog page?
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • They added the lyrics for Systemagic in lyrics section on the website !!! :D

For Ocean too :) I'm so excited :)

SYSTEMAGIC

LUNA LIGHT YOU’RE THE SPELL

COVEN UP LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE

TAKE A RIDE LIGHT THE SKY

MAKE IT BURN LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE           

SYSTEMAGIC MAGIC

BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

TAKE A RIDE LIGHT THE SKY

MAKE IT BURN LET’S BE IT DO IT CELEBRATE IT

SILVER EYE

WANING MOON IN PLUTONIC DREAMS

YOU’RE MY KINDA BLING MY ALIBI 

SYSTEMAGIC MAGIC

BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

MIRROR MIRROR BUILD THE FIRE HIGH

MIRROR MIRROR BE THE WILD THE WILD FIRE

Post edited by Julex at 2017-03-10 09:16:00
  • Perhaps this is a hint at the singles? Systemagic, Ocean and Anymore would be the absolute BEST choices for singles and recipients of music videos (though I hope this era gets more than three!). Not sure why else they would share Systemagic's lyrics so early. Also, having heard the one minute snippet of the song, it seems the lyrics end rather abruptly considering the track length itself. Perhaps another complete chorus at the end? Hope so.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2017-03-10 13:00:29
  • Just 3 more weeks

• Something about these 2 songs (Anymore & Ocean) don't have the longevity I'd want them too... this is the first time I'm experiencing this with Goldfrapp songs :( . Mind you, like you guys, I'm a HUGE fan (surprised I don't have a Goldfrapp tattoo). Like most of us, I'm beyond happy, get chills, etc everytime I hear a new song from them, but so far with these 2 songs after a day or so of listening to them I almost can't stand listening to them (especially Anymore)... basically the opposite of growing on me :( . I really hope some of the other tracks on the album I can bear to listen to forever on repeat lol :/ 
    Post edited by ryanraymedina at 2017-03-10 17:13:56

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!