Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 66 Comments sorted by
  • alex_f said:

Minsku said:

alex_f said:

Wow, what an improvement! And in less than a year, too!

Impressive! ;)

Don't knock the Spice Girls! It was a fun show :)

No, no, I believe you!

Besides, I too used to listen to Spice Girls back in 1998. (Un)fortunately I was just too young to ever see them live! :D
  • First gig was Saxon on their "World Crusade" Tour. Feb 15th 1984 at Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke on Trent.

Support band were Verity (and they were awful)

It was snowing when we all queued up in our 'by the number' denim, leather and rock t-shirts. I can still recall arms going blue and wondering why everybody went on about this gig lark if this was the sort of thing you had to suffer for it.

Never crossed my mind that it doesn't always snow when going to gigs. Sigh.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • First concert:
    Prince and The Revolution closing night of The Purple Rain Tour at the Orange Bowl in Miami circa 1984 I was really young and begged my Mom to take me. And she did?!!

First Goldfrapp concert:
    HeadFirst Tour NYC, Hammerstein Ballroom, June 23rd 2010...Smitten ever since :D
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • First gig was Saxon on their "World Crusade" Tour. Feb 15th 1984 at Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke on Trent.

Support band were Verity (and they were awful)

It was snowing when we all queued up in our 'by the number' denim, leather and rock t-shirts. I can still recall arms going blue and wondering why everybody went on about this gig lark if this was the sort of thing you had to suffer for it.

Never crossed my mind that it doesn't always snow when going to gigs. Sigh.

Hi Carpy (if I may use the shortened form of your username?)
    So you started off as a rock kid, if not still ? Saxon 1984. Was Nigel Glockner still the drummer for Saxon then? Prior to Saxon, he was in Toyah (the band - easy ! ) and he was the drummer for the Anthem album and subsequent tours. I saw him in 1981 at the Gaumont in Ipswich. The drums on Anthem are quite out there. Thats him running up and down the Toms on 'I want to be Free'. When he left to join Saxon in 1982, he was replaced by Simon Philips, another fantastic drummer.
    Happy memories. U.T.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Oh, and welcome! Who did you meet in Brighton?

Hi HJ. Appy61 has just pointed out to me the post of photos from The Brighton gig. Unless I am very much mistaken, it was KeithJ_gmb who spoke to me after the gig. Sorry if I bumbled some old crap that night but here I am.

• first gig was a school trip to The Alarm in Cardiff - they played 68 guns several times!
    Have seen Gary Numan many many times and Goldfrapp 5 times, all of which have been brilliant particularly June last year at The Trinity Centre in Bristol, - just the most special gig.
    Another of my favourite gigs was Sheep on Drugs in Camden supported by The Spank Organisation, crazy ...
  • Valerian said:

first gig was a school trip to The Alarm in Cardiff - they played 68 guns several times!

Have seen Gary Numan many many times and Goldfrapp 5 times, all of which have been brilliant particularly June last year at The Trinity Centre in Bristol, - just the most special gig.
    Another of my favourite gigs was Sheep on Drugs in Camden supported by The Spank Organisation, crazy ...

Hi Valerian. 68 guns several times? It was that popular? That said, we saw the Frapp in Barcelona back in 2004 on the Black Cherry tour at Sala Razamattaz and at the end if the gig, after the encore, the crowd continued to cheer and clap,and Alison said, 'we've run out of songs; unless we play Strict Machine again?' which they did, so if you look at the Setlist.Fm listing for this gig, it shows Strict Machine being played twice.
    Sheep on Drugs and Spank Organisation gives me an idea for another thread!

• ^ god i haven't heard sheep on drugs for years, used play them all the time. takes me back to my youth... 
  • ^ yes it still amuses me that their first album was called 'Greatest Hits'!
  • Oh, and welcome! Who did you meet in Brighton?

Hi HJ. Appy61 has just pointed out to me the post of photos from The Brighton gig. Unless I am very much mistaken, it was KeithJ_gmb who spoke to me after the gig. Sorry if I bumbled some old crap that night but here I am.

It was indeed :) Good to meet you and glad to see you on the board. Great thread, by the way.

My first gig: Queen @ the Apollo in Glasgow. April 1977 on the Day at the Races tour. I actually had a front row ticket for their previous tour but had to sell it due to a family holiday.

A few months later, I was at my first festival @ Reading. Headlined by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band & Thin Lizzy, it was superb & still lingers in the memory. Other acts on the bill included Graham Parker & the Rumour and Ultravox (with John Foxx still lead singer).

I've been to hundreds of gigs since, especially in the past 15 years. The band I've seen the most, apart from Goldfrapp, is a Scottish band called Goodbye Mr Mackenzie, who featured Shirley Manson on backing vocals and keyboards. I saw them a dozen times in the late 80s/early 90s. Others I've seen almost as many times include The Beta Band/Steve Mason; Orbital; Bat for Lashes and my other current obsession - the Norwegian band Katzenjammer.

My first Goldfrapp gig was in May 2001 @ the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, during the Felt Mountain era. Truly memorable. There have been 23 more gigs since then and Greenwich will be my 25th. A special occasion for a special band.
  • Keith. It was good, if brief, to meet you to. Look forward to meeting up with you and others in Greenwich, unless up you are going to Copenhagen? You certainly seem to have been with the Frapp since the start.
  • Serenity, to make this one easier, I have brought it forward.
    I had forgotten this was my thread and it was my first thread when I joined the Firum when I was a newbie.
    I've obviously done my first gig but I can tell you my second. That was Bad Company at Earls Court, with Paul Kossoff on guitar and Paul Rogers on vocsl, him who has been singing with Queen on and off since Freddie died. The 3rd, AC/DC, the fourth Ted Nugent at the Hammersmith Odean. I saw Sabbath another 2 times during those initial gigs but they are the first 4 bands I saw.
    Turgssss, Gaelen, Lady Stoneheart other peeps fresh to the forum, you need to tell us about yours.
    Confession is good for the soul and we are all bound by the sanctity of the confessional !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2017-02-26 14:25:57
  • Bloody hell, I am old. My first gig was Greenslade at the Colston Hall , May 19th, 1975

I didn't see GF live until the Head First tour. Even though I had been a fan since 2003, I didn't listen to them between 2005 and 2010 because it made me cry too much.
  • Actually Whispered, my first gig was supposed to be in November 1975 but Ozzy had a motorbike accident and pulled muscles in his back, so it was moved to early 1976, so I had turned a year older during the wait.
    I did see Eddie and the Hotrods the year before, but that was at a teacher training college and I was working that night collecting glasses for the outside catering bar my Dad was running, do I do not count that as my first gig as I did not pay.
  • I loved reading these!

My first concert was B*Witched when I was a child. I wish it could have been "cooler" now but it was great fun for me back then. 

My first and sadly only Goldfrapp concert was the June 23, 2010 concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom during the Head First tour. It's neat to see that it was someone else's first gig here as well even if I'm writing about it 3 years after they made their post!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!