Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 66 Comments sorted by
  • Ponygurl said:

My aunt took me to see Heart when I was just 8! It blew me away the way Nancy shredded on guitar..I took lessons soon after because of it, haha. Most shows I've ever seen by one artist has got to be Tori Amos at prob like 12. In fact she's coming out with a new one soon to add to my collection.

Heart. Ann and Nancy Wilson. That brings back memories.
    Cold late night, so long ago, when I was not so strong you know
    A pretty man came to me, never seen eyes so blue.
    This came out when I was at school and then I went to college and a mate I gave a lift in each morning had Dreamboat Annie on cassette ( anyone under 30 use Google to find out what this is). He played it all the time. Magic man has a great riff. Also liked Barracuda by them.
    'Come on home girl" he said with a smile, 'you don't have to love me so let's get high a while'
    Great song and lyrics.
    We need another discussion - favourite lyrics !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I've seen Goldfrapp live 12 times now. Basically if they play Manchester I'm there.

First ever concert was Janet Jackson at Manchester arena in 1998...... It was epic. :)

Also seen Kylie 6 times Bjork 5 times and Madonna 3 times..... Plus loads of others...
  • hunter said:

Bjork on the Post tour. It was at the Warfield in San Francisco, I think it was November 3rd? 1995 for sure. I know because I had just turned 14 and it wasthe first time I had run away from foster care. What an awesome experience that show was.

Never seen Bjork but would like to. Mad as cheese as my friend Graham would say. Just been to Iceland. Flew back the night of the TOU film. Landed at 18.20, flew through Gatwick and we had tickets booked at Crawley Cineworld. Sat down with 1 minute, 28 seconds to go.
    Everyone in Iceland is mad. I love their quirky sense if humour. In a tourist brochure in FAQ's was 'can I drive in Iceland'? The answer? 'Everyone can drive in Iceland unless you are a complete arsehole'. Frank !
  • Sartori said:

OMD in `82 , seen them about 12 or so times ... um.. Human League about 12 as well , got a bit pissed off with music for a bit early `90s . Erasure about 8-9 times , Oasis about 10 times , until people in wax cotton jackets came to the gigs . Seen Faithless about 16 times , who are probably my `passion` in music and every gig was a warm glow . Goldfrapp 6 times . Saw Queen just the once at the original Live Aid , should have been more - I tend to only muse on groups I`ve never seen rather than ones I wish I`d seen more . 

Had a few warm glows thinking about this train of thought , I look at the list above and see shifts in my tastes (obsessions ? haha) .

Know what you mean Sartori. I have gone from Black Sabbath and AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Toyah, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kate Bush, U2, Queen, Pink Floyd, and many other stepping stones to Goldfrapp. Also like Muse (still rocking) and KT Tunstall. She's a little poppit and a witty raconteur. Perhaps it is growing up - disgracefully!
  • Well Urban Tribesman I'm astounded by your prolific outpouring! (In joke folks - sorry) I too am new to this forum thingy and thanks to VisualFallacy for doing the invite honours. So first gig - Queen at Elland Rd Leeds 1982 - lasting memories of a dreadfully out of tune Paul Young and Teardrop Explodes being bombarded with bottles of pee! Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were brilliant and what can you say about the main feature, sublime and a privilege to be there. The last twenty years (did I just say that?) mirror UT's gigography and despite our wife's giggling about us looking like a lovely couple, we're not, we just live next door to each other! Hope to hook up in some interesting chat soon and I'll also see you on Twatter! Sadly won't be at Greenwich due to the pull of the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa but hope to catch up with anyone who can afford Scandinavian prices in Copenhagen. Twitter - @lacewood1_keith, YouTube - Appyness. #GoldfrappStalker
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

Well Urban Tribesman I'm astounded by your prolific outpouring! (In joke folks - sorry) I too am new to this forum thingy and thanks to VisualFallacy for doing the invite honours. So first gig - Queen at Elland Rd Leeds 1982 - lasting memories of a dreadfully out of tune Paul Young and Teardrop Explodes being bombarded with bottles of pee! Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were brilliant and what can you say about the main feature, sublime and a privilege to be there. The last twenty years (did I just say that?) mirror UT's gigography and despite our wife's giggling about us looking like a lovely couple, we're not, we just live next door to each other! Hope to hook up in some interesting chat soon and I'll also see you on Twatter! Sadly won't be at Greenwich due to the pull of the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa but hope to catch up with anyone who can afford Scandinavian prices in Copenhagen. Twitter - @lacewood1_keith, YouTube - Appyness. #GoldfrappStalker

Yes, its true folks, Appy61 and I share a fence out in the rural idyll of Essex and we have spent over 20 years going to gigs together with Mrs Appy61 and Mrs Urban Tribesman. A little Goldfrapp home from home. I sadly am not on twatter or facemither and the GF forum is my first soiree into social media. Mrs U.T. has to mop my brow every 20 minutes to stop me from having the screaming ab dabs so it could be some time before I migrate to twatter. Or will it??

• IMO, no-one should see steps! 

Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)
    Post edited by VisualFallacy at 2014-04-09 03:30:55
  • Ooh hello new GMBers! Lovely new topic :)

When I was 15 I arranged some sort of a school exchange with a friend who lives in Newcastle. This was nothing more than a good excuse to go to a Sophie Ellis-Bextor concert there. The concert was canceled but we managed to arrange a meeting with her London and she got us on some sort of VIP list for a The Feeling concert in Shepherd's Bush Empire that same night. Quite nice for a 1st concert I think. 
    I was forced to go to a school in Newcastle for one day though. Quite amusing.

I've seen Goldfrapp perform 3 times now, first time was in 2010 in Amsterdam. 

• First gig - Spice Girls, December 2007
    First Goldfrapp gig - Union Chapel, March 2008

:\">
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • alex_f said:

First gig - Spice Girls, December 2007

First Goldfrapp gig - Union Chapel, March 2008

:\">

Wow, what an improvement! And in less than a year, too!

Impressive! ;)
  • Next gigs - Kate Bush -September 9th

Kylie - September 26th

• IMO, no-one should see steps! 

Don't knock it until you've tried it ;)

I have to admit that I do have a little liking for Little Mix. I bought Wings as I thought it was a good song. Pop's not my thang any more though, although I do like Jessie J. Wanted to go and see her in concert but Mrs U T said that as I did not have a 10 year old daughter, I would look like a P doh. Sarky mare!
  • chokka said:

Next gigs - Kate Bush -September 9th

Kylie - September 26th

I would have liked to have seen Kate, but ?I knew the ticketing would be a bear garden. It disgusts me that tickets get snapped up for prime gigs and then a few hours later, greedy chancers have them on social network sites at 10 times face value. Disrespectful to the Artist and something needs to be done.
    I bought the Kick ?Inside on vinyl when it first came out and took it back about 7 or 8 times as it was notorious for being a bad pressing, ( just like Love over Gold by Dire Straits) . I eventually got a good one. My favourite album of hers though is Never Forever. I also liked the video for Suspended in Gaffa with Kate twirling round and kicking up the sand on the floor. Have a look at Adele's video for Rolling in the Deep. Does it look similar with the dancer in black?
  • Minsku said:

alex_f said:

Wow, what an improvement! And in less than a year, too!

Impressive! ;)

Don't knock the Spice Girls! It was a fun show :)
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • Cool! I saw Toyah about 6 times in the early 80s Have 'Sheep farming' signed by T and the band.

my uncle took me to watch* T-Rex in 1971 (I was 10). Wish I'd actually known who they were at the time!

* from a hill overlooking the outdoor show, in rotherham. ie free...

Hi HJ
    Jealous of your signed Sheep Farming. This is one of my 'go to' albums when I need a musical reset. I find it acts as a sort of sorbet course as it is so raw and in your face. ' Our Movie' and 'The Last Goodbye' were well ahead of their time, as were 'Visions' and 'Insects' from Blue Meaning and I find returning to these helps me appreciate music that is more sophisticated and multi layered, such as Goldfrapp.
    I wonder if others have this same thought of a seminal album that they continue to return to? Could make a good post?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!