Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Hello, i thought i would say hi as i am a new fan. Well i've been a fan for a while as i was getting bored sick of some of the crap music they play on the radio and ended up drifting into electro music and hence discovered a new artist. To be honest i like lots of different music whether it be pop, electronic or classical.

Im going to be honest and say that i like seventh tree and even a few songs from Head First. And also some of the glam rock inspired songs too. Too many bands/artists sound synthetic. With the exception of Ed Sheeran and Ellie Goulding as they are both talented and i can listen to an entire album but honestly, the music in the charts as we speak is complete and utter drivel.

I tried to catch up with the Brit awards but year by year its the same garbage.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2017-02-24 11:09:17
  • 44 Comments sorted by
  • Welcome, serenity52! Hope you feel at home here.
  • Share much of the same sentiments Serenity, even the love of Head First :D  While I do like Ellie Goulding's latest album, her voice used to really grate me, especially on the Band Aid thing they done a few years back (I seem to recall she was after Seal, which is like putting raw talent next to a bucket ;D)

Welcome!
    Soon be nothing of this world.
  • Welcome!

I've been here for years, as I love electronic, orchestral and folk sounds..so I'm never really bored with the music they produce. I love Seventh Tree as well, it's so heartbreakingly dreamy. I love the switch ups from album to album. (I also have this weird Freudian/mother obsession with Alison, but I'm not gonna get into that right now :p ) We pretty much talk anything and everything on here, so don't be afraid to let your freak flag fly! (See ya in the 'boobs' thread ;) )
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2017-02-23 13:40:45
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I think ive already sort of accidentally drifted on to the boob thread. I think i probably have too much to say on the subject. Its hard being a female in this world.

Ellie is alright i suppose- but half of her songs sound the same. Same as Mr Sheeran but at least they have lyrics. I just couldn't watch the Brit awards. As soon as Robbie (Mr Ego) was flashed on TV, i took one look and thought nah sod it.

• Hi Serenity
    Welcome to Goldfrapp prime. You can be whoever you want to here. Like who you want, get ridiculed, ridicule others, no one really cares as we all have a common bond; the love of Frapp ( and a few others, but not Mr Sheeran for me I am afraid). That said, if he floats your boat, paddle that canoe!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • A most sincere hello hello and welcome to you.

You've stumbled upon our little pocket of otherworldliness at a wonderful time — typically this place can be quite silent during periods between album eras, so you'll get to experience the (system)magic of Silver Eye along with the rest of us. 

As for Head First, I have to say that my favourites are Hunt, Dreaming, We Radiate, and the title track. Beautiful songs, those. 

Enjoy your stay here.
  • Slippage said:

A most sincere hello hello and welcome to you.

You've stumbled upon our little pocket of otherworldliness at a wonderful time — typically this place can be quite silent during periods between album eras, so you'll get to experience the (system)magic of Silver Eye along with the rest of us. 

As for Head First, I have to say that my favourites are Hunt, Dreaming, We Radiate, and the title track. Beautiful songs, those. 

Enjoy your stay here.

First pun of the new era?

I echo what the rest of our users have said above. Welcome to an odd bubble of online discussion - one of the best in my opinion. Online fight rates are down to 5% again after a recent spike. :P
    Hope you like it enough to keep returning.

• Aww thanks guys x
  • Hey! New blood! Yum yum!!! >:)
    Seriously....hello :-h
    Yes, if you do bonkers and boobs then you're in.
  • Get thee to the 'First Gig' thread and ' my Forum Name' thread to tell us a bit about yourself while Kat goes off and dons her ritual gowns.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Welcome, Serenity.  Nice name...
  • KatRobin_ hey up, its not halloween yet!!
  • I couldn't find the forum you were referring too Urban_ Tribesman.

Well a bit about me_ i am female (in case you couldn't tell) and 30 years old. I now work in a school (not as a teacher because i think the workload is insane) and have a BA Degree in English.

Growing up, i was always a very creative minded person, hence my love for English Literature, Art and Music. I even did GCSE Music and went on stage with a friend to perform it. (That's my only 5 minutes of fame!!)

As for how i discovered Goldfrapp- i really can not remember. I think i was listening to a song or was looking at BBC radio one playlist thing and under other recommended acts Goldfrapp was listed. I think i also discovered the Ooh La La song on youtube. I also immediately recognised Utopia or Lovely Head (from memory really- i happen to watch a lot of drama on TV, documentaries so i pick up and remember sounds) and at that point i recognised their music as being very cinematic and very different.

As Alison has said, the band is sort of on the fringe isn't it because radio stations such as Capital dont always play their songs, and go off what the silly teen boppers want.

I also love other bands such as Blondie because my stepdad plays a lot of 70s and 80s music. Ultravox, Aha, Abba. Thesw big breakthrough artists is a rarity these days.

Now where my mom is concerned she cracks me up- she only likes Barry Mannilow, Aha. David Cassidy and the Bay City Rollers apparently!!!

Those are my family influences.
  • That's quite a variety of music.  

You mention BBC, so I guess you are British.  The reason I wondered is you mention watching a lot of drama.  There is such a huge difference it drama between the U.S. and UK.  I mean, at least in my limited experience, British drama could me more definitively described as tragedy.  I remember watching a few episodes of some police 'drama' with Helen Mirrim.  Wow! That was pure tragedy in my mind.

Errr, I guess I should add that U.S. drama could be most definitively described as non-existent, really.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-02-26 11:10:48
  • Yes i am British born and bred. I like quite of UK drama- i think we are blessed with having some of the best actors/actresses out there, ie Dame Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, John Cleese, Keira Knightley, the late Alan Rickman etc. Some of those actors appear in literary dramas/films, fantasy etc.

I am as diverse with TV as i am with music.

Any US drama that you think is worth watching let me know.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!