Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Hows the new album coming along ?
  • 211 Comments sorted by
  • They started off more creative than them all and they'll end that way too. The imitators will eventually clear because they don't have enough talent or imagination to sustain themselves for long enough. Alison and Will however, could go on forever, if it weren't for the small matter of mortality and all that.

•  the next chapter is going to be epic - i can feel it

You know, I think you could be right...
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2016-10-02 23:36:59
  • all i want for christmas is a little video from golfrapp with a tiny little update and a snippet :)
    Post edited by lukasgardiner at 2016-10-04 17:53:10
  • all i want for christmas is a little video from golfrapp with a tiny little update and a snippet :)

What, like the good old days?
    When I first got into Goldfrapp, about 1982, Black Cherry had just come out and there was a TV program called 'Twisted Summer -A Summer of Goldfrapp'. Great little prog.
    I miss those days :(

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-10-04 19:15:01
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^The first time i heard Lovely Head, I had the same reaction that Alison talks about - I wanted to giggle and hug myself and at the same time, felt a kind of existential awe.

I can't think of a single 'pop' artist that has ever had the same effect on me, and I suppose that's what I hope GF can still do. It's not about the kind or style of music that the new album might contain, it's about hearing something that is somehow completely strange and profoundly familiar at the same time....

What, like the good old days?
    When I first got into Goldfrapp, about
    1982, Black Cherry had just come out and there was a TV program called 'Twisted Summer -A Summer of Goldfrapp'. Great little prog.
    I miss those days :(

Know something that we don't?

• What, did you miss all the early stuff? The first 5 albums? The really innovative good stuff?
    So did we all I am afraid.
    I have no idea where that came from. I can only plead spellchock enema !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • whispered said:

^The first time i heard Lovely Head, I had the same reaction that Alison talks about - I wanted to giggle and hug myself and at the same time, felt a kind of existential awe.

I can't think of a single 'pop' artist that has ever had the same effect on me, and I suppose that's what I hope GF can still do. It's not about the kind or style of music that the new album might contain, it's about hearing something that is somehow completely strange and profoundly familiar at the same time....

Are you a relatively new fan? They used to release music as strangely endearing as that, but it's clear they're not interested in pursuing that type of art.

Of course, I will always love to be proved wrong, but with each subsequent album, I was always disappointed. It's my own fault. They never owed me a type of sound or experience.
    Post edited by LolliCruz at 2016-10-10 00:30:20

• LolliCruz said:

Are you a relatively new fan? They used to release music as strangely endearing as that, but it's clear they're not interested in pursuing that type of art.

Of course, I will always love to be proved wrong, but with each subsequent album, I was always disappointed. It's my own fault. They never owed me a type of sound or experience.

Relatively new? I don't know, but I think I'm old enough to remember your avatar from the old GMB !!???!

My feeling is also that they have drifted from their original art/experimental origins towards more crafted approach. Of course, they owe me nothing. Those first years supplied more than any other band has done for me. And how many artists can maintain that level of originality? I suspect that the old cliche that an artist has constantly to experience change, uncertainty and challenge in life to produce great work might be true.   

• I was enthralled by everything except TOU.  I also think they will not repeat that experience.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2016-10-10 06:36:24
  • I love that they don't repeat themselves and they're experimented a lot, but honestly, there's still so much ground they could be covering. If I have any real hope for the 7th album, it's that it's totally left field and just hits us all up the face with how different it is. They're capable.

• That's sounds about right.  What would be refreshing is upbeat music and lyrics.
  • Not enthralled by TOU Whickwithy? Go whip yourself with a rolled up GF poster and repent!!
  • Actually, while I could do with a damn good cheering up at the moment I'm hoping for something dark and creepy from them this time..with the addition of the disco remixes. Thea ish. I'm easy to please.
  • Mmmm, love "Thea".  TOU is not all bad.  It's just that everything they did before was all good.  The weirdest thing, though, is how the words do not reflect the tune.  Dark words, light tune typifies Goldfrapp across all of their work.  What is it about female artists and darkness?  What is it about the fascination with darkness?  I just don' get it and, honestly, it's beginning to agitate me considerably.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2016-10-11 07:39:12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!