Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 622 Comments sorted by
  • In LaLa just across from the Apollo getting some tuck before John Grant.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Doing this tomorrow. WTF! KT Tunstall and Mara Carlyle together!! #Culture
    https://twitter.com/maracarlyle/status/674537572224385024
  • Well, the film showing of Frank Borzage's 7th Heaven was a unique experience!
    Made in 1927; one of the last, and arguably the greatest silent movie ever made. 118 minutes of drama a tension, involving some quite complicated set pieces, culminating in a 25 minute section depicting the 1st World War, involving the use of models so a sophisticated piece for its time.
    What made it such a treat was it was shown at the BFI last night with a live score, performed by KT Tunstall, Mara Carlyle, Max de Wardener, Liam Byrne and Alex Thomas, who played without a break for the whole length of the film. Quite breathtaking in its complexity and how cool they all looked with the pressure of no where to hide if they cocked something up.
    Quite remarkable and a slice of culture that will not be repeated. A bloody marvellous time !
  • Massive Attack a week on Friday. Brixton Academy. Would like to visit the Bowie mural and pay respects.
  • Well, it was a week- end of contrasts. Friday night was Massive Attack at Brixton Academy, which was a great gig as this is always a standing gig as anyone who has seen Goldfrapp there can testify. They played for an hour and 3/4s, playing a fair smattering of their best known songs. Future Proof, Paradise Circus, Karmacoma etc. Quite political, with the backdrop of the stage mainly displaying words and pictures of seemingly every current injustice in the world. A colourful audience as well.
    Then Saturday, a complete contrast with the East Anglia Chamber Orchestra in Bury St Edmunds. I have a business contact who plays the double bass and we were treated to Debussy, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune; some Poulenc, Concerto for two pianos and Orchestra in D minor, with two delightful sisters taking the piano part, the Cann Sisters, who played their bit completely by ear without sheet music; and then some Ravel, Parvane pour une infante défunte, and finishing with Ma mère l'Oye, or the Mother Goose ballet. Culture by the bucket load.
    Anyway, here's Future Proof from Friday night, shot by my own fair hand. A 60 sec snatch of Paradise Circus and all of Karmacoma are on Mrs T's YouTube channel.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-02-11 17:02:10
  • The David Bowie exhibition in Groninger Netherlands is next, then Muse in April.
  • ^^Sounds like a great orchestral programme, UT. Both the Prelude and "Ma Mere..." would be contenders for my Desert Island Discs. Good to hear Massive Attack going strong too.
  • We did the DAVID BOWIE is exhibition in Groningen, Holland today. A superb exhibition with artifacts, costumes and video footage from David's early days through to about 2013 with some hints to his death last month. Subtle as in a title in one section depicting how Bowie had influenced so many contemporary artists titled 'David Bowie is - All around you' with the 'All around you' scored through with a black line.
    The audio side was brilliant and done by Sennheiser. No pushing of buttons to enter numbers here. As you walk through, the device you wear senses the nearest audio source and plays that relevant audio.
    Nothing quite as poignant as listening to ' Starman' while reading David's original, hand written lyrics!.
    David was a creative genius across 6 decades. One of the greatest British musical icons and I doubt we will see his like again as the music industry is too fixated by short term views and plastic, created stars.
    Quite moving.
    A photo of the book of condolences. I signed it, Loved, Lost, RIP

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-02-27 13:15:59
  • Well, this Friday, we are off to see Think Floyd at the St Mary's Arts Centre in Colchester. A Pink Floyd tribute band obviously so an interesting night awaits.
    Then, next Wednesday, we are off to a listening party being thrown by Mari Wilson in connection with her new album, Pop Deluxe. The first listen before the release of the album, hosted by Mari herself, so will get a chance to meet her again for a chat. Below is a short vid I received from her. The album is being financed through Pledge Music. This is becoming more common now, as Mari says in the vid in these days of very few artists with what we would recognise as recording deals. Is this the issue with Alison and Will and Goldfrapp albums?KT Tunstall is financing her latest album through Pledge Music, and she is a multi million selling artist. If she has to finance an album like this, what state is the music bis in? Our fault by buying odd tracks for 79p and not investing in an artist and a whole album. Discuss.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2016-03-16 16:39:56
  • It must be a leap year, as I am planning to go to a non-GF gig.

Sigur Ros in Bristol on June 23rd.

Tickets on sale tomorrow at 10AM

X
  • i might even go to see Tom Robinson on the 4th May.
  • Go on, knock yourself out Whisperit.
  • You made me do it
  • Yeah, I'm a bad influence.
    In other news, the Floyd Effect tonight were fucking fantastic. One of the best gigs I've been to in a long time. Their renditions of a lot of Floyd classics was a joy to listen to. They played the whole of Dark Side of the Moon, and the rendition of The Great Gig in the Sky was brilliant. The two female vocalists ( the Floydettes) did a superb job on what is an extremely challenging track to perform. A touching tribute to the many musicians who have passed in the last few months with the song Wish You Were Here.
    Just fab!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!